NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2011-11 > 1321245890

From: "paul bennett" <>
Subject: Re: [nz] RNZAF in Canada
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 17:44:50 +1300

Angie,

This may not be exactly what you want but it does give some information on individuals who died while serving with the RNZAF and their training.

I have a relative who was killed in 1944. He was in the RNZAF and trained in Canada. When I found his entry in the following book I was able to trace his postings around Canada and then later in England. Each place they were posted covered a different aspect of their training, eg flying, navigation, gunnery etc. Basic training was done in Canada and then other courses in England before being posted to a squadron. The information given is very abbreviated with lots codes but they can be looked up either in the book or online. Each person's entry is a sort of mini-service history showing where they were posted, the dates and travel. It also gives an account of how the person was lost or at least what is known.

It is a big book in three volumes. The Christchurch city library has more than one copy (but might not be available at present) so libraries in other centres should also have it.

For your TomorrowA Record of New Zealanders Who Have Died While Serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915
Martyn, Errol W. ( http://christchurch.bibliocommons.com/search?q=%22Martyn%2C+Errol+W.%22&search_category=author&t=author ) (Book - 2008)

Publisher: Christchurch, N.Z. : - Volplane Press
ISBN: 0473052741, 0473063115, 9780473128296
Language: English
Contents: Vol. 1. Fates 1915-1942
v. 2. Fates 1943-1998
v. 3. Biographies and appendices.
Notes: Includes bibliographical references and index.
Statement of Responsibility: Errol W. Martyn
Physical Description: 3 v. ; 25 cm.

Regards,
Paul (researching England, Kite, Muirson, King in NZ)

>>> Angela Barnett <> 14/11/2011 16:19 >>>
Hello Listers
Trying to find out where would I go to find information on the Royal New
Zealand Air Force training of pilots in Canada in 1943/1944, for WW2
database.
Any information would be gratefully received.

*Angie Barnett*

The List Guidelines

http://new-zealand-l.blogspot.com/