NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Subject: Re: [nz] NEW-ZEALAND Digest, Vol 6, Issue 278
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 21:36:58 +1300
References: <mailman.447.1324429564.1639.new-zealand@rootsweb.com>

It was suggested I give some names to go with my posting below - 1913
Settlers to NZ

Patrick and Mary (Mahony) Murphy arrived in Wellington in Dec 1913 with four
young children - Daniel (6), Jeremiah (4), Patrick (2) and Bridget ( 7 mts)
and went directly to the Manaia area. They then had John James in 1915 (my
grandfather) and Michael Frederick in 1917. None of the above are still
living and I basically are in contact with all living relations in NZ. I
don't believe we have an Mahony relations in NZ.

They lived in the Manaia, Kaponga, Kapuni, Opunake, Riverlea area all their
lives and Patrick died in 1937 followed by son Jeremiah in 1938, followed by
Mary in 1939. In 1925 they Mary bought a farm in Riverlea (and I have all
the details) as I believe Patrick had had a railway accident that had caused
him mental stability problems and he was unable to work. I think this
accident possibly happened at the end of 1921/beg of 1922 as Daniel left
school, Jeremiah & Bridget were staying with Mrs Jas Hammersley of Kaponga
and Bridget was staying with Mrs Melville, of Manaia Rd, Kaponga. By the
end of the year they were all back home.

I said below that they were farmers but proberly more correct would be farm
labourers. What I am trying to find out is what would have happened once
they arrived in Wellington and why did they go to Taranaki.

cheers
Carol Taylor (Murphy), registered travel broker through Pukekohe Travel Ltd
533 State Highway 26
RD 6
Hamilton 3286
New Zealand

Ph: 07 856 0204 Mob: Carol 021 461 185
Fax: 07 856 4977
email:
From: <>
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:06 PM
Subject: NEW-ZEALAND Digest, Vol 6, Issue 278

> Today's Topics:
> 1. 1913 Settlers to NZ ()
> 2. 1869 - December BMD and snippets - The Press (Beverley)
> 3. Identification at marriage (Tony Mooar)
> 4. BOER WAR (Barbara M)
> 5. Re: 1913 Settlers to NZ (Graham L Jones)
> 6. Looking for des of John Weir Watson, Taieri Mouth and
> daughter Hazel Stuart White (Ailsa Corlett)
> 7. Donald Mackay, Nightcaps. (Jean)
> 8. West Australia (Anne Picketts)
> 9. Wellington Archives Findlay (Penne)
> 10. Te Aro School. 1921 (Adele)
> 11. Re: Donald Mackay, Nightcaps. (Jeannette)
> 12. Marriage Missing from Records (John Stuart Reed)
> 13. Re: Donald Mackay, Nightcaps. (Alister Gould)
> 14. Re: Marriage Missing from Records (Wendy Howard)
> 15. NZEF (Penne)
> 16. Re: NZEF (Judy Moffat)
> 17. Re: NZEF (Wendy Howard)
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 20:08:40 +1300
> From: <>
> Subject: [nz] 1913 Settlers to NZ
> Message-ID: <>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> My great grandfather & mother and 4 young children along with my great
> grandfathers brother immigrated to NZ in 1913 as assisted passengers. I
> feel that they would have known where they were going when they arrived
> but can't seem to find any information about what would have happened when
> they got off the boat. They arrived 28 Dec 1913 off the Mamari and I
> think went directly to Manaia (Taranaki) because eldest son Daniel started
> school at Manaia Convent in Jan/Feb 1914. They were farmers. Any
> suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> Carol Taylor (Murphy), registered travel broker through Pukekohe Travel
> Subject: [nz] 1869 - December BMD and snippets - The Press
> To: NZ Mailing List <>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> Hello All
> I have added the BMD and snippets from The Press, Christchurch
> December 1869.
> there are quite a few school results for December, the smaller ones I
> have included in the snippets, they are
> 11 December - Dalcroy House, Lyttelton.
> 13 December - The High School Rev. Fraser gave out prizes and talked
> of the Scotch school system
> 14 December - Christs College
> 14 December - High school, Lyttelton
> 14 December - St Albans school
> 16 December - Christchurch Academy
> 24 December - Convent school
> 18 December ship the Colenso arrived Lyttelton to be typed up
> if anyone would like a copy of the school snippets just email me.
> next newspapers I will be doing are Lyttelton Times January 1865
> Beverley Evans
> Christchurch NZ
> http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~ashleigh/1870-1908/1869.December.The.Press.snippets.html
> http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~ashleigh/1870-1908/1869.December.The.Press.BMD.html
> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 11:05:38 +1300
> From: Tony Mooar <>
> Subject: [nz] Identification at marriage
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> Many thanks to listers who gave their advice and some wonderful family
> stories on this subject.
> My own is an aunt in the 1900s who married four times to three different
> people, two of the marriages being bigamous (the second and third). On
> the death of her first husband and to ensure all was above board for
> future inheritances, she remarried her third husband, legally. Not that
> you could tell the difference.
> cheers and many thanks.
> Tony
> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 11:26:57 +1300
> From: "Barbara M" <>
> Subject: [nz] BOER WAR
> Message-ID: <>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> For those of you looking for names, search: http://atojs.natlib.govt.nz
> I have been looking at 1901 - NZ Contingents for South Africa. I'm sure
> there'll be other listings on this website.
> Barbara.
> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 15:19:23 +1300
> From: Graham L Jones <>
> Subject: Re: [nz] 1913 Settlers to NZ
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> Hello Carol,
> Perhaps if you were to give the names of the people involved someone on
> the list may be able to help you, but you should also make clear what it
> is you are seeking to find out. Is it just what did they do in the
> intervening period between landing and settling at Manaia, or a general
> question about what happened to immigrants on arrival? Where did they
> disembark?
> Graham Jones
> Dargaville
> Message: 6
> Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 20:39:04 +1000
> From: "Ailsa Corlett" <>
> Subject: [nz] Looking for des of John Weir Watson, Taieri Mouth and
> daughter Hazel Stuart White
> To: "newzealand" <>
> Message-ID: <000001ccbe3a$6f4168c0$4dc43a40$@net.au>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> Hi,
> I have started to go through my late father papers, and have discovered
> that
> he has documents relating to John Weir Watson who was a late Postal Worker
> and lived at Taieri Mouth. There is a letter in there from his daughter
> Hazel Stuart White.
> According to the NZ Indexes I have found the following and hoping there
> are
> some relatives out there that would like all this valuable details about
> his
> retirement and postal service returned to them.
> John would have been born about 1879, died 26 May 1968, from Francis St
> Taieri Mouth. Married to Sarah Oliver McLaren in 1910, who died 1963.
> Daughter Hazel Stuart Watson b about 1920, married 1949 to Albert Robert
> White. Hazel died 9 Nov 1983 from Frances St, Taieri Mouth and found a
> Albert Robert White died 19 June 1992.
> Not sure why my father had these documents, but they were in an envelope
> regarding Redirected correspondence and my father was the Manager of the
> Dunedin Post Office.
> I would love to hear from family members to give this back, please contact
> me off list. Hazel's death notice was posted in the Southland Times, but
> the
> cremations or burials have taken place at Anderson's Bay Cemetery.
> Regards
> Ailsa Corlett
> http://home.st.net.au/~ailsa
> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 17:31:15 +0000
> From: Jean <>
> Subject: [nz] Donald Mackay, Nightcaps.
> To: newzealand <>,
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> In 1919 Electoral Roll a Donald Mackay was farming in Nightcaps. I
> think this could be the same Donald I am researching who died in 1922 in
> Invercargill. I am trying to establish when he sold the farm and if
> possible to have an exact address for farm so that I might view on map.
> Jean (Scotland)
> Message: 8
> Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 13:04:14 +1300
> From: Anne Picketts <>
> Subject: [nz] West Australia
> To: NZ Mailing list <>
> Message-ID:
> <CANTx4wk=KdCma6BqAvxwndSXaD4qeAS7o1jDqbjJmq7k+>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> Are there any listers living in Perth or Fremantle who could do a bit of
> "digging" for me please?
> Thanks i.a.
> --
> Anne PICKETTS
> Waipu, NZ
> NZSG #5331; KFHS #6151
> Also at: <>
> Message: 9
> Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 13:31:35 +1300
> From: "Penne" <>
> Subject: [nz] Wellington Archives Findlay
> To: "NEW-ZEALAND" <>
> Message-ID: <>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> Greetings, I know most of the list wilI be busy with their descendants
> over this next little while, but for those of us less fortunate, genealogy
> flows on.
> If anyone is going to Wellington Archives a few notes on this probate,
> will confim if she is the right person. Mary Erica Findlay born NSW 1911,
> was brought to NZ by her grandmother who died in 1922 when she was placed
> in St Marys Orphanage Karori, (information needed also for these records
> plse)
> FINDLAY Mary Wilson 1922 - 1922
> agency series accession box / item sep record no. part alternative
> AAOM 6029 471 / 32369
> may be the person of interest, and after the holiday season if anyone can
> look at this record for me,I would be very appreciative penne
> Message: 10
> Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 20:18:49 +1300
> From: "Adele" <>
> Subject: [nz] Te Aro School. 1921
> Message-ID: <>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> A bonus! Whilst checking a book which I bought second hand the other week,
> I
> found this old photograph inside, TE ARO 1921. Mr O'Connor was the
> teacher,
> all boys in the photograph..
> Te Aro School has on the reverse of the photograph, was where Dental
> Clinic,
> Willis Street was built.. so that gives us an idea as to where it was..
> Boys are wearing a striped tie.
> There is a message on the reverse as well, about someones father in the
> photograph. no name!
> I have left a message on www.reunion.co.nz <http://www.reunion.co.nz/>;
> site
> as well.. and notified the school, see if their records go this far back
> for
> names!..
> Adele
> Message: 11
> Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 21:51:10 +1100
> From: "Jeannette" <>
> Subject: Re: [nz] Donald Mackay, Nightcaps.
> To: , "newzealand" <>,
> Message-ID:
> <>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
> I have a Donald MacKay marrying Rachel?Bryant in 1876 in Winton,
> Southland, not too far from Nightcaps. Rachel was a sister of my
> grandmother. Plus a lot more gossip.?Looked at the Invercargill
> -?Eastern Cemetery website but cannot gain any more info on the
> Donald Mackay who died 31 July 1922.
> Jeannette
> From:
> To:"newzealand" ,
> Cc:
> Sent:Mon, 19 Dec 2011 17:31:15 +0000
> Subject:[nz] Donald Mackay, Nightcaps.
> In 1919 Electoral Roll a Donald Mackay was farming in Nightcaps. I
> think this could be the same Donald I am researching who died in 1922
> in
> Invercargill. I am trying to establish when he sold the farm and if
> possible to have an exact address for farm so that I might view on
> map.
> Jean (Scotland)
> The List Guidelines
> http://new-zealand-l.blogspot.com/
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> Message: 12
> Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 07:51:21 +1300
> From: John Stuart Reed <>
> Subject: [nz] Marriage Missing from Records
> To: NZList <>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset=iso-8859-1;
> reply-type=original
> Hi Listers,
> I have recently stumbled on new information about the
> MacFarlane siblings who arrived on the London in 1840. Henry MacFarlane
> left
> New Zealand in 1845 with his wife Eliza ? and Richard Henry MacFarlane was
> born in June 1845 in Honolulu. Henry was single when he arrived and
> married
> five years later but no marriage found on the NZ Marriage CD or the NZ
> records. I have given up on that one. Mary, his sister, also single in
> 1840,
> I found a Mary McFarlane married to Thomas Francis McGauran 1843 NZSG
> 09952. I can't prove Mary is my relative as there isn't any record of the
> marriage or death for her in the NZ records. How would this marriage get
> on
> the NZ Marriage CD?
> Regards John Reed.
> Message: 13
> Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 09:58:46 +1300
> From: "Alister Gould" <>
> Subject: Re: [nz] Donald Mackay, Nightcaps.
> To: "Jeannette" <>, <>,
> "newzealand" <>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="utf-8";
> reply-type=original
> Hello,
> By gossip I take it you refer to the alleged Rape of Rachel Bryant in 1876
> as reported on the Paperspast website?
> He was charged with committing Rape at Winton Bush on 15th March 1876, and
> was remanded to the 22nd of March 1876.
> The Donald McKay (not MacKay) is possibly not the same man you pursue.
> The case records state that after the evidence was heard in the Court,
> within half an hour the accused and the complainant had married in the
> Registrar's Office of the Invercargill Court on 23rd March 1876.
> In the Supreme Court at Invercargill on 12th June 1876, the case against
> McKay was dropped due to the complainant not willing to testify against
> her
> now husband.
> Southland District Council Cemetery records are also available online at
> http://www.southlanddc.govt.nz/cemetery-search/getperson/6606
> There is a Donald McKay who is interred at Riverton in 1919 aged 62
> another Donald McKay interred at Tuatapere in 1941 aged 72 years
> another Donald McKay interred at Eastern Bush date unknown
> a Donald McKay interred at Riversdale in 1924 aged 80 years, also a Donald
> Thompson McKay interred at Riversdale in 1953 aged 60 years
> a Donald McKay interred at the Tararua Acre in 1881 (shipwreck)
> a Donald Gordon MacKay interred at Dipton in 1910 aged 70 years
> Donald McKay Retired Farmer of Invercargill Probate in 1922
> agency series accession box / item sep record no. part alternative
> AAOM 6029 473 / 32512
> held by the Wellington High Court.
> Nothing under Donald MacKay for 1922.
> all I can find for now Jean,
> Regards
> Alister Gould
> Invercargill
> Message: 14
> Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 11:35:48 +1300
> From: Wendy Howard <>
> Subject: Re: [nz] Marriage Missing from Records
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> Hi John,
>> I found a Mary McFarlane married to Thomas Francis McGauran 1843 NZSG
>> 09952... How would this marriage get on the NZ Marriage CD?
> Go back to the NZSG CD "New Zealand Marriages 1836-1956"
> (http://www.genealogy.org.nz/Sales_11.aspx?CategoryId=11), and look at
> the introduction. The description given at the top says "This is an
> index of the NZ Registrar General's marriage entries, plus other pre
> 1856 marriages". There's your first clue - not all the data on the disk
> comes from the official (RG) records.
> Also, take another look at that entry you found. On the right-hand side
> of the window, where the details of the highlighted event are listed,
> you'll see at the bottom it says "Source: NZSG Collection".
> This means that the information came from information held at the New
> Zealand Society of Genealogists (NZSG, http://www.genealogy.org.nz/).
> You should contact NZSG to find out more about their sources. It's no
> different to any other entry on the disk - you need to follow up on the
> source to find the full details and determine if the information is of
> value to you or not.
> Message: 15
> Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 13:45:24 +1300
> From: "Penne" <>
> Subject: [nz] NZEF
> To: "NEW-ZEALAND" <>
> Message-ID: <>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> Can someone plse tell me if a Nurse who was in the NZEF and discharged
> herself in 1918, where would records be. I cannot see a reference for
> nurses in the NZEF on Archway? cheers penne
> Message: 16
> Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 13:51:24 +1300
> From: "Judy Moffat" <>
> Subject: Re: [nz] NZEF
> To: "Penne" <>, "NEW-ZEALAND"
> <>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
> reply-type=original
> If you give me the name of the Nurse, I can check her out as I have
> relevant
> websites open at the moment, as I am checking indexes.
> Judy
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Penne
> Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 1:45 PM
> To: NEW-ZEALAND
> Subject: [nz] NZEF
> Can someone plse tell me if a Nurse who was in the NZEF and discharged
> herself in 1918, where would records be. I cannot see a reference for
> nurses
> in the NZEF on Archway? cheers penne
> The List Guidelines
> http://new-zealand-l.blogspot.com/
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> Message: 17
> Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 14:05:55 +1300
> From: Wendy Howard <>
> Subject: Re: [nz] NZEF
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> Hi Judy,
> Would you be so kind as to share what these web sites are, so we can all
> learn to look for ourselves, please? I also have WWI nurses I want to
> find out about.
> Thanks. :-)
> Wendy
> Judy Moffat said the following on 21/12/2011 1:51 p.m.:
>> If you give me the name of the Nurse, I can check her out as I have
>> relevant
>> websites open at the moment, as I am checking indexes.
>> Judy
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Penne
>> Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 1:45 PM
>> To: NEW-ZEALAND
>> Subject: [nz] NZEF
>> Can someone plse tell me if a Nurse who was in the NZEF and discharged
>> herself in 1918, where would records be. I cannot see a reference for
>> nurses
>> in the NZEF on Archway? cheers penne
> ------------------------------
> To contact the NEW-ZEALAND list administrator, send an email to
> .
> To post a message to the NEW-ZEALAND mailing list, send an email to
> .
> __________________________________________________________
> with the word "unsubscribe" without the quotes in the subject and the body
> of the
> email with no additional text.
> End of NEW-ZEALAND Digest, Vol 6, Issue 278