NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2011-12 > 1325061418

From: <>
Subject: Re: [nz] NEW-ZEALAND Digest, Vol 6, Issue 278
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 21:36:58 +1300

It was suggested I give some names to go with my posting below - 1913
Settlers to NZ

Patrick and Mary (Mahony) Murphy arrived in Wellington in Dec 1913 with four
young children - Daniel (6), Jeremiah (4), Patrick (2) and Bridget ( 7 mts)
and went directly to the Manaia area. They then had John James in 1915 (my
grandfather) and Michael Frederick in 1917. None of the above are still
living and I basically are in contact with all living relations in NZ. I
don't believe we have an Mahony relations in NZ.

They lived in the Manaia, Kaponga, Kapuni, Opunake, Riverlea area all their
lives and Patrick died in 1937 followed by son Jeremiah in 1938, followed by
Mary in 1939. In 1925 they Mary bought a farm in Riverlea (and I have all
the details) as I believe Patrick had had a railway accident that had caused
him mental stability problems and he was unable to work. I think this
accident possibly happened at the end of 1921/beg of 1922 as Daniel left
school, Jeremiah & Bridget were staying with Mrs Jas Hammersley of Kaponga
and Bridget was staying with Mrs Melville, of Manaia Rd, Kaponga. By the
end of the year they were all back home.

I said below that they were farmers but proberly more correct would be farm
labourers. What I am trying to find out is what would have happened once
they arrived in Wellington and why did they go to Taranaki.

cheers
Carol Taylor (Murphy), registered travel broker through Pukekohe Travel Ltd
533 State Highway 26
RD 6
Hamilton 3286
New Zealand