NEW-ZEALAND-L Archives

Archiver > NEW-ZEALAND > 2012-03 > 1331577100

From: NZMR <>
Subject: Re: [nz] Silver War Badge 1914-1920 was a brooch.
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 07:31:40 +1300

The first 200-odd Silver War Badges issued to New Zealanders were
administered by the British authorities (and a few NZ naval ones), which
are the ones on Ancestry. The many thousands issued thereafter were
administered by the New Zealand authorities, and will have been entered
on a Silver War Badge roll. I haven't seen this roll, despite many hours
scouring Archives, so I would be intrigued if anyone else knows anything
about it's whereabouts. It may have been purged, which would be a
criminal shame as judging by the roll print-master held at Archives, it
would contain very useful information about each casualty, plus we could
identify all the NZ-prefix badges that are out there.

For the most part the SWB number does not appear on NZEF service files,
regrettably.

Unsure why 814 names come up in the New Zealand search on Ancestry, but
nearly 600 of those aren't New Zealand ones.

Cheers
Phil