NEWTON-L Archives

Archiver > NEWTON > 1998-03 > 0890164694

From: Allen Richmond <>
Subject: ALLERTON/NEWTON/WYATT & Mayflower Connection
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 13:58:14 -0600

Howdy Cousin Anne:

Anne <> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if the descendants of Mary Allerton (daughter of Issac) and John Newton are
> able to join the Mayfower Organization.. I believe that John Newton was born in England and was
> oldest son of John Newton Sr of VA.. He was John's first son and came to VA later..One of his
> daughters was Frances Wyatt... Does anyone have this information.Anne

Yes, Mary ALLERTON is of the Mayflower descendancies.

Mary ALLERTON (c1664/VA-c1700/VA) was the daughter of Isaac ALLERTON, Jr
(1627-30/MA-1702/VA), who was the son of Isaac ALLERTON
(1585-6/ENG-1685/MA), Signer #5 of the Mayflower Compact, and Fear
BREWSTER (c1606/ENG-bef 1634/MA), daughter of William BREWSTER
(c1566/ENG-c1644/MA), signer #4 of the Mayflower Compact.

Isaac ALLERTON Jr relocated to Westmoreland County VA, and his
neighbor was John NEWTON Sr (bca 1639). John NEWTON's son, John
NEWTON (c1657/ENG-c1699/VA) and Mary ALLERTON were married and had
four known children, two of them sons we know, since they were
referred to in their grandfathers' wills. Unfortunately, the names of
the other children were not given; however, the other two children
have been identified by those of older generations in the WYATT line
as Frances NEWTON (d 1745) who married Edward WYATT (1677/VA-c1745/VA)
and Margaret Grace NEWTON who married James WYATT (1674/VA-bef 1741/
VA[?]).

The first application to be approved for membership in the Mayflower
Society on the BREWSTER-ALLERTON-NEWTON-WYATT line was that of Guy
R. Smith of Novi MI, descendand of Lettice Nicoll WYATT and Nimrod
SMITH.

Then came James Wyatt GAMBRELL of Richmond VA, desc/o Elijah WYATT
and Mary Grigsby FOSTER; Onita Gambrell KING, Mildred Gambrell ADAIR
and Esther Gambrell DEVINEY, desc/o Freances Newton WYATT and James
MATTISON; since then, several other descendants have made application
based on these proven lines.

A good reference regarding the NEWTON line is found in the "Virginia
Magazine of History and Biography; Early Generations of the Newton
Family of Westmoreland County VA" Vol. 36, p 47, by Charles F.
Cochran.

Hope that helps some! Corrections/additions/etc. most welcome.

Cousin Allen

--
| / ) Allen Richmond - ( \ |
|/ /Scioto Trails: Paths From Another Time & Place\ \|

This thread: