NFLD-LAB-L Archives

Archiver > NFLD-LAB > 1998-01 > 0886210599

From: "JOHN SPARROW" <>
Subject: SPARROW /HUGHES /BRYANT FAMILIES iIN NEWFOUNDLAND
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 21:36:39 -0400

Hello, I am new to this list and am looking for help in researching my
family roots in Newfoundland and hopefully in the UK as well. My father
John Gerard Sparrow was born in Pilley's Island , Little Bay, Notre Dame
Bay in Feb 1891, the third of seven children. Upon the death of his mother
(nee Mary Ellen Hughes) in 1895 (?) the family moved back to my
Grandfather's home in Argentia where the children were distributed out
temporarily with several aunts in the area one of which was a Margaret
(Sparrow) Murphy. My father left Newfoundland in 1915 and moved to
Gloucester Mass, in the USA to fish along with many other Newfoundlanders
of the day. He had returned to Newfoundland in 1918 to visit family and
booked return passage to New York aboard the ill fated SS Florizel . He was
to be one of the few survivors of this shipwreck on the coast of
Newfoundland. My father was 94 when he passed away in 1985.

My grandfather also named John , was a miner/fisherman who moved about the
area working in mines in Notre Dame Bay, Bell Island and also in North
Sydney,Cape Breton. He died in approximately 1920 in Argentia. He was one
of eleven childen.

My great-grandfather John Sparrow was alive until some time after 1895 as
my father had very early recollections of him as a very old man .My great-
grandmother ,we believe, was Anorrah or Honorah Bryant (?) or possibly
O'Brien. She died before 1895.

Any help would be appreciated on the family name Sparrow, the Hughes of
Notre Dame Bay and the name Bryant/Obrien from Argentia.

John.

This thread: