NFLD-LAB-L Archives

Archiver > NFLD-LAB > 1999-03 > 0922344021

From: "Allen Temple Beagan" <>
Subject: [NFLD-LAB-L] Re: Morrissey in Brigus , Past Glory, Present Splendor
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 22:40:21 -0800

About twenty feet east of the old Pomeroy dwelling was the attractive
of Captain John Norman, noted sealing master, while the space
Norman house and today's road leading down around the western end of the J
W. Hiscock Sons fish store was occupied for the most part by the business
premises and wharf of Robert (John Cozens) Leamon, my great-grandfather,
your great-great-great-grandfather. His house here was described by Nicholas
Smith as "channing." It was a large two-and-one-half story structure with
gabled roof and six dormer windows. The two upper floors were the living
quarters. My grandfather John Norman Leamon, his brother Robert, and his
sister Mary (who later became Captain Bob were bom here. A retail business
occupied the whole of the ground floor and led back to a large four-story
section larger than the house itself but built on a lower level because of
the steep drop of the land towards the waterfront. A considerable portion of
the finely constructed high north stone wall of the basement and second
storey of the four storey warehouse section still exists today.
This is the place of which the Frederick Hann Conservation & Community
Study (1986) makes this suggestion: "The potential exists to develop this
spot as an interpretive site for Effie M. Morrissey and Captain Bob
Bartlett, by relocating the 'sails' presently at Bishop's Beach. Relocating
the sails to this place on the waterfront is appropriate in that it
overlooks the wharf where the Morrissey docked semi-annually for years. This
site has high visual profile and prominence given that important sight lines
terminate at this point." all the more appropriate, we might add, since this
was the site of the home and business premises of Robert J. C. Leamon who
was Captain Bob Bartlett's maternal grandfather, and the spot where Mary J.
Leamon, was born. (However, we would acknowledge also that the Bishops Beach
site has its own particular points of merit, in that it was just a few yards
from here that the earliest of the Bartlens to arrive in Brigus settled and
built their first place of residence at a site just below the hill where the
United Church stands today.)
Lovell's Newfoundland Directory for 1871 lists Robert J. C. Leamon as
"general importer and dealer in British & foreign goods, provisions, etc."
As such, the finn owned ships, two of which were the JOSEPH built in 1827;
and the NIMROD, a schooner of 72 tons built in 1833 but changed to a
barquentine rig in 1847.
The Grave Hill area of Brigus has a history of tragic fires. Both the
John Norman and the Robert J. C. Leamort properties were burnt to the ground
about the year 1892.

I would like to have seen thatplace. But we do havepictures, don't we?
Yes. One of the oldest pictures in our collection shows not only the
buildings that were later destroyed, but others in the area, some of which
have survived and are in good repair even today. A case in point is the Rose
family

28
http://members.tripod.com/~Al_Beagan/brigus.htm

Allen Temple Beagan
1 Cross St.
Sandwich, MA USA 02563
Researching; Beagan, Trainor, Power in PEI
Beagan, Rowsell, Knight, Vincent, Temple and Tilley in NFLD
Beagan, Trainor in Cavan and Monaghan, Ireland
Chevalier, Knight and Temple in Jersey Isle
Knight, Chevalier and Temple in Suffolk, Devon and Dorset, England
"Genealogy Notes"
http://members.tripod.com/~Al_Beagan/start.htm