NFLD-LAB-L Archives

Archiver > NFLD-LAB > 2005-11 > 1131394604

From: Lloyd Rowsell <>
Subject: FOLLOW UP...."timber trading", web links, and 1466-1536-1807-1869..ERASMUS, an illegitimate child, and his publication preservation by Bishop John T. MULLOCK
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 12:16:44 -0800 (PST)

Many thanks to for the recent postings of
'very old' references to NL surnames, including ADAMS, AWFORD,
POLLARD and TROWBRIDGE. Also thanks to those who responded to my
earlier question about the ERASMUS book which was possessed by
BISHOP MULLOCK, now 'on display' in St. John's, Newfoundland.

more questions:

#1. I wonder if Sir HUMPHREY GYLBERT brought the ERASMUS book to
Newfoundland in 1583? I imagine that he and some of his
'contemporary mariner friends' were familiar with the writings of
ERASMUS.

#2..I wonder if Bishop MULLOCK acquired the ERASMUS book during
his years in Europe or after he arrived in St. John's?

#3...POOLE..."timber trading with Newfoundland", I wonder who were
the 'NL timber merchants' and the location of the 'timber
resources' in those long ago days??

Here are some Newfoundland related historical references copied
from the 1979 book titled "A Book of British Towns"

p62...BRISTOL..."Birthplace of America, because discoverers and
thousands of early settlers sailed from it.....Unearthed coins
show that by the reign of ETHELred the Unready (978-1013) BRISTOL
had its own mint..........
http://www.baccalieudigs.ca/discoveries.asp
BRISTOL was originally known as BRICGSTOC (the place of the
bridge).

p275...LYME REGIS... Edward I used its harbour in the 13th century
as a base for his wars against the FRENCH....in 1685, the Duke of
Monmouth landed there to lead his ill-fated rebellion against
JAMES II.....It was a favorite with the novelist Jane AUSTEN
(1775-1817) who had a seafront cottage.....The PHILPOT Museum.....

p325...POOLE..."The town developed as a port in the 13th century,
on one of the largest shallow-water anchorages in Britain. It
became a base for pirates, then fishermen, and in the 18th and
19th centuries for timber trading with Newfoundland....."
http://www.k12.nf.ca/discovery/Commmunities/acdrom/trinity/poole.html

p336...RINGWOOD...."The Duke of Monmouth stayed at RINGWOOD during
his rebellion of 1685......"

p386...SWANSEA...W. GlaMORGAN......Its name derives from Sweyn's
Ea (the island of Sweyn) Sweyn was a Viking pirate who chose this
site.....as a base for plundering the coast. In about 1330
BISHOP HENRY de GOWER built a castle......[birthplace of DYLAN
THOMAS (1914-53)]

p388...TAVISTOCK..."One of ENGLAND's greatest heros, Sir Francis
[RUSSELL] DRAKE, was born on the borders of Tavistock in 1542 and
baptised in the parish church. His birthplace, Crowndale Farm,
is 1 mile south-west of the town. The town......grew up around a
great BENEDICTINE abby founded in 974. In 1281, Tavistock became
a stannary town---. The abbey was devastated during HENRY VIII's
Dissolution of the Monasteries........From this time the town
became the property of the RUSSELL family......"

p388 ..TAUNTON......in 1685 Judge JEFFREYS held a "Bloody Assize"
in the castle when 508 supporters of the Duke of Monmouth's
rebellion were condemned to death.
http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=ush1-mail&p=History+of+Taunton+England

p393..."TIVERTON....BLUNDELL's School was built in 1604 by a local
wool merchant....John RIDD fought Robin SNELL in R.D.BLACKMORE's
novel 'Lorna DOONE'....

p395..."TROWBRIDGE.....A former rector, GEORGE CRABBE (1754-1832),
who wrote the poem on which BENJAMIN BRITTEN's opera 'Peter
GRIMES' is based, is buried in the chancel."

p396...TORBAY...."The 22 miles of coast from St. Mary's Bay to
Maidencombe are crowded in summer with holidaymakers, for Torbay
in Devon's most popular tourist region.......Three towns make up
the Torbay area,
BRIXHAM...
PAIGNTON...
TORQUAY....."The abbey's tithe barn was, in 1588, the prison of
sailors from the Armada.......It is still called the "Spanish
Barn".

p397..."COMPTON Castle, 4 miles west of Torquay, is a fortified
manor house, built in 1320 and extended during the two following
centuries. It once belonged to Sir HUMPHREY GILBERT (1539-83),
step brother to Sir WALTER RALEIGH. Sir HUMPHREY founded the
first British colony in North America, on Newfoundland, in
1583...."

p425..."YOEVIL...An Iron Age fort stands on the 426 ft. HAMDON
Hill, 4 miles west of the town.....East COKER, 2 miles south, is
one of the prettiest villages in SOMERset. The poet T. S. ELIOT
(1888-1965), whose ancestors came from the village, is buried in
the churchyard. A plaque in the church commemortes William
DAMPIER (1652-1715), who after a career as a pirate became a
captain in the Royal Navy and an early explorer of Australia."
http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&fr=ush1-mail&p=William+DAMPIER+and+Newfoundland+expedition

ERASMUS(1466-1536) and
MULLOCK (1807-1869)
http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~melbaker/1848-65.htm
http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=ush1-mail&p=Bishop+Mullock+in+Newfoundland

http://www.angelfire.com/la/prophet1/erasmus.html
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05510b.htm

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Research/rc.shtml
http://www.historyguide.org/intellect/erasmus.html

John T. MULLOCK

Bishop of St. John's, Newfoundland, born in 1807 at Limerick,
Ireland; died at St. John's, Newfoundland, 26 March, 1869.

He became a Franciscan and was educated at St. Bonaventure's
College, Seville, and at St. Isidore's, Rome, where in 1830 he was
ordained priest.

After long service in Ireland, particularly at ENNIS, he was
appointed in 1847 coadjutor to Bishop FLEMING of St. John's,
Newfoundland, with the right of succession, and was consecrated by
Cardinal FRANSCONI on 27 December, 1847, at St. Isidore's, Rome.

In July, 1850, he succeeded Bishop FLEMING. The church made great
progress in Newfoundland during the episcopate of Dr. MULLOCK, a
new diocese — Harbour Grace — being erected.

The splendid cathedral of St. John's, begun in 1841, was
consecrated on 9 September, 1855. Dr.

MULLOCK always took a keen interest in the commercial development
of Newfoundland, and was most enthusiastic about its natural
resources.

He was frequently consulted by the governor on matters relating to
the welfare of the colony, and many of his suggestions relating to
the fisheries and other matters were adopted.

Before leaving Ireland he was a frequent contributor to the
periodical literature of the day, and took an active part in the
Irish literary movement of the forties.

Long before the first attempts to lay a submarine cable across the
Atlantic was made (1857), Dr. Mullock had on several occasions
publicly propounded the feasibility of connecting Europe with
America by means of submarine telegraph.

He was the first to bring before the English-speaking world the
life and works of the great Saint Alphonsus Maria Liguori,
publishing his "Life" at Dublin in 1846, and in the following year
a translation of the saint's "History of Heresies and their
Refutation".

In 1847 appeared at Dublin his "Short History of the Irish
Franciscan Province" translated from the Latin work of Francis
WARD; he also wrote "The Cathedral of St. John's, Newfoundland and
its consecration" (Dublin, 1856).

"If by the time we are 60 we haven't learned what a knot of paradox and contradiction life is, and how exquisitely the good and bad are mingled in every action we take, and what a compromising hostess Our Lady of Truth is, we haven't grown old to much purpose." - John Cowper Powys
http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~apert/powquote.html

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

This thread: