NFLD-ROOTS-L ArchivesArchiver > NFLD-ROOTS > 2002-01 > 1011850188
From: "Chris Shelley" <>
Subject: [NF-ROOTS] Newspaper Lookups and R.A.G. 1925 - 16
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 21:29:48 -0800
To the List,
The Events for 1925 were transcribed with the help of John Baird.
Reprinted courtesy of Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing
From the St. John's Daily News
Mon. May 18, 1925
RUBY - After a short illness, Samuel RUBY, aged 85 years, leaving a wife, 3
sons, 3 daughters, to mourn their sad loss. Funeral takes place at 1
o'clock Monday, from his late residence, the Goulds, to the Church of
England Cemetery, St. John's.
STEEL - On May 17th, Lochlan STEEL, darling child of Archibald and Ida
STEEL, aged 8 months. Funeral at 3 p.m. to-day, from Macklin Place.
"We watched till Jesus came and took our loved one home"
(NOTE: The left side letters of this article were hard to read, so I have
tried to put together the sentences as best as I could)
BRIGUS METHODIST JUBILEE 1875 - 1925
(By the Rev. Charles LENCH)
SURVEYING THE OLD PLANTATIONS
Few places in Newfoundland have history as interesting as Brigus. We have
only come in contact with the place and people, and spend a little time in
studying their origin to find that many of the old stock were well connected
with the English upper class. What brought them to Brigus is a mystery.
They came and brought names with them that set us thinking.
The 17th century was turned to good account by the forbears of the present
generation, say from about 1840, a little before and after. They settled
down on the land and cleared it following the dual position of
Fisher-farmer. Then came the Government enumerator and took a census and we
get the backward glance and see what they have been doing the previous
seventy or eighty years. The results of that interesting visit in 1807? To
every plantation is with us today and we have a most interesting document
that gives us the results of those investigations.
THE INTERESTING DOCUMENT
Here in this interesting inventory we learn the names of the people who
inhabited Brigus one and a quarter centuries ago.
Some obtained their holdings from their immediate relations, others found
them lying void and clearedthem, while some paid down cash for their
possessions. Those who cleared them acted in harmony with the Act of
William III and the boundaries are given most accurately in the document.
We start from Frog Marsh, on the Southside.
William PHELAN obtained possession by taking it in hand and bringing
fertility out of rugged nature.
John WALKER got his easier by the kindness of his Mother-In-Law.
Widow KING and Sons purchased their holding for £26-0-0 from Conway
HEIGHINGTON, a very old Bristol firm.
John WOOLCOCK cleared his own estate according to Act of William III. 200
yards from high water mark by 67? Yards.
Thomas ROSE. He also cut and cleared his own estate on 1802.
James HAYS came in 1798. HE cut and cleared his fine holding which was 180
yards by 98 yards.
John and Isaac CLARKE had owned their plantation for 33 years.
Charles MERCER owned 105 yards from East to West for eleven years.
James GOUSHOE owned 202 yards from East to West for twenty-three years.
Ambrose SPARKS obtained his right and title as the gift of his grandfather.
John MORGAN got possession of his property through his father-in-law,
presumably a wedding dowry.
John SPARKS obtained his in the same way. One labors and others enter into
James ANTLE was the forerunner of a splendid race of men, at home or at the
fishery, whether the Cod or Seal, it didn't matter. HE cut and cleared his
own estate 164 yards by 196.
John NOEL had quite a place for the past two years.
George and John KEMP got their estate through its being void at River Head.
This was the dock for building vessels.
William ANTLE Jr. purchased this place from William NEWMAN.
Edward PERCEY's had been in the family since 1769.
Joseph RICHARDS' land lay in close proximity to the Church of England and
Methodist Churches. Purchased this from Thos. GILL.
William PERCEY, known as the "Admiral," the son of Stephen, held possession
of this estate, which had been in the family for 120 years. He took
possession in 1770. They have the oldest records in Brigus. He also owned
a fishing room on the Island.
John and William BARTLETT in 1780 purchased their estate from T. LeDREW for
£26-0-0. You wouldn't buy much of a plantation to-day for $130.00. This
was the homestead of the BARTLETT family in Brigus.
William ANTLE Sr. claimed his estate in 1700. His ancestors had held it for
Stephen PERCEY, son of Stephen, obtained his through his father's will. HE
hired it to Kemp & Co., the millionaires of Pool, for an annual rental of
£6-0-0. A poor business man could not pay more than that rent. This was
situated near the Tunnel.
William ROBERTS held an estate for 70 years. He never met an Isaiah who
admonished Hezekiah "to sethis house in order." He had five sons and left
his estate intestate, leaving the sons to settle it among themselves.
Walter PHEALAN bought his estate from Isaac and Thomas ROBERTS for £8-0-9.
Queer they should add on 9 pence. Perhaps there is a tale to the
nine-pence. The place was 171 yards by 72, not a bad bargain.
Dinah ROBERTS came into possession by a deed of gift from her father,
evidently no boys around. It had been in the family for 80 years at the end
of the survey.
John RABBIT Sr. and his Nephew, John RABBITS, Jr. must have joint possession
according to the deed. Their Mother's deed of gift. This was near the
William ROBERTS Sr. had possession from 1768. William LANE sold it to
William ROBERTS for £10-0-0 having possessed it for 37 years. It was a very
William ANTLE and Widow ANTLE. The inheritance came to Widow ANTLE as a
deed of gift from her father-in-law. The enumerators must have been very
inquisitive in 1781.
John ROBERTS - Dinah's Son - obtained his estate from his Mother.
John PERCY Sr. owned his since 1790. It was 143 yards by 61 yards. Another
plantation was added 87 by 20 yards.
William WHALAN took it when lying void in 1804. He owned the Long House
there when the Surveyor came.
Samuel ROBERTS in 1805 got to work on the waste land. His property was
bounded by the Brook and Grace WALKER's garden.
Grace WALKER in 1797 also obtained her plantation by its lying void. It was
100 yards by 47 yards and bounded by the woods on the North side. What a
revelation if she could return!
Thomas QUINLAN took possession and cleared up his estate in 1796. It was
100 yards by 47 yards. Then he pitched in and cleared up another 98 by 100
yards. How those men did work! They wore themselves out, that their
children might not rust out.
William PERCY and James and Thomas ROBERTS. A troop cometh(!) Were they
three bachelors? Their ancestors had held their joint estate for 76 years.
This makes them probably among the early settlers.
Grace NORMAN took possession in 1786 by deed of gift from her Mother-in-law.
How king those Mothers-in-laws were in those days.
Ann ROBERTS 1772. Her possession was but small, only 18 ½ by 14 ½ yards.
The other was 66 yards by 102 yards. It was the gift of their Father who
had partly cleared it.
Simon SPRACKLIN. The SPRACKLIN's were an old family. In 1784, Simon's
father and his ancestors had had possession for 68 years. Tradition in the
family says the SPRACKLIN's originally owned all the land from the Bridge to
the Battery Brook.
William KEATING's possession dates to 1774. He received it as a gift from
his father-in-law. It looks as if Fathers-in-law gave a working basis for
Samuel SPRACKLIN had lived in his estate since 1772. Sixty-eight years
possession. This was another kind gift of gracious father-in-law.
Robert KNIGHT got his estate in 1800 by the gift of his Mother. His land
was bounded by PLOWMAN and SPRACKLIN's land.
John PLOWMAN. This was also the bequest of a kind Father-in-law held since
Azariah MUNDEN in 1770 paid part price of purchase in cash to Charles WILE,
of Hampton, near London, the sum of £25-0-0, rather high for those times,
but it was conveniently situated. It ran 90 yards from South to North and
63 yards in opposite direction. Part cleared agreeable to Act William III.
James and William NORMAN bring us to the end of this ancient and interesting
document. These men were brothers from Jersey, and inherited this splendid
property in 1774 by deed of gift from their father.
The Battery in the days of its glory presented a unique and magnificent
appearance. Lord STRATHCONA was the guest there for some time.
The property was 210 yards East and West, by 198 yards and bounded in the
North by the woods.
The last two names in the document were destined to play an important part
in the history of Brigus. The MUNDEN's and NORMAN's were leaders of men.
There were 44 holdings, or, as they were designated, plantations. Some of
my readers may think this a dis-interesting article. Some who claim Brigus
as their nature place won't find their names there at all. We have given
you a bird's-eye-view of Brigus as it was in 1807. Your forebears came too
late upon the scene. Let the present generation build upon the foundations
of their sires and grand-sires. Brigus has the possibility of rising again.
Anyhow, we believe that those in distant lands will scan with interest this
little sketch of the families that resided between the Brigus Hills at the
beginning of the 19th century.
We hope this helps someone,
Chris and John
|[NF-ROOTS] Newspaper Lookups and R.A.G. 1925 - 16 by "Chris Shelley" <>|