NFLD-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > NFLD-ROOTS > 2004-01 > 1073176274

From: Lloyd Rowsell <>(by way of Sue O'Neill <>)
Subject: [NF-ROOTS] 1917 May 5th Twillingate SUN....Surnames: FROST, HELLIER, LEWIS, MAYNE, WATERMAN PART 2
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 19:31:14 -0500

Because of it's size, this message is being posted in 2 parts
PART 2

************************************
Vol. XXXVIII No. 18....Twillingate (Toulenget) SUN ... May
5th,1917.....price 3 cents
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

page 3.....TWILLINGATE SUN...May 5th, 1917

photograph in military uniform...From Pte. John BURTON...Dear
Mother; Just a sord to let you know that I am still alive and in
good health but no news to tell you. It is a little warmer today
than it has been in a long time, but I suppose we will soon get
the warm weather. I have not received a letter for a long time,
or a parcel, but I am looking for one every day. When you get
this letter you can send a parcel and be sure to make it strong or
it may get broken. I should like to be handy to have some dinner
with you, for a meal at home would be good. I suppose father and
Eli will soon be getting ready for fishing now and I should like
to be home with them. Tell Eli to write to me, for a letter from
home is all right. When you send me a parcel send some tobacco
and a cake. Please give me Norman's address, as I want to find
out where he is. Your loving son John BURDEN (BURTON?) Since
the above letter was written John has been admitted to the 1st
Australian Genl. Hospital.
Obituary: Newstead, May 1st...Editor (Twillingate Sus) Dear Sir,
On Saturday last it was our sad duty to lay to rest all that was
mortal of Willie DAWE FUDGE, at the early age of 15 years son of
Mr. and Mrs. Jerry FUDGE, Comfort Cove. Mr. and Mrs. FUDGE feels
their loss keenly as Willie wa a good and quiet boy and their only
help, he was only sick a little over a week, all the fond parents
and kind friends could do failed to restore him and he passed away
on Wednesday to the spirit world. Mr. and Mrs. Fudge have our
heart felt sympathy.
Dear Parents cease thy weeping;
Sad ones look above
The God that took dear Willie
He is a God of Love
No more to sin nor sorrow;
No more to suffer pain;
And we may meet in Heaven,
But not on earth again.
.....M. EVELEIGH
Better a Dead Hero than a Live Coward: March 6th, 1917...Dear Mr.
and Mrs. FORWARD, Just a few words to offer my deepest sympathy
in the death of your son Norman who was killed in Action on Feb.
28. I was speaking to him the night before we went in the
trenches, its the first time I saw him since 1914 and we had a
good friendly shake hands, when I met him but little did I think
he was going to be killed the next night. I cannot say anything
about him because he was in Coy. C. and I was in D. but so far as
I can find out about him he was living a very good life, and all
the men that knew him said he was the best fellow, never down
hearted and was always happy and all I can say about hem he was a
hero and died at his post, but you must remember that he died for
a good cause; and the way we take it, its better to be a dead hero
than a live coward, you and Mrs. FORWARD must take it in good
parts, but I know that you will feel it hard. We are out for a
rest now. So I think I will close and wishing you every success.
I am yours sincerely, Pte. A. F. OSMOND, 1131 1st. Nfld. Regt.
29 Div. B.E.F. France
Pte. A.F. OSMOND is the son of Mr. J. W. OSMOND, Tizzards.
TIZZARD's Harbour

The first is Alfred STUCKLESS
A sailor boy, is he
He is sweeping up the mines
In the HMS Figi

The next was Arthur OSMOND
>From the Lumberwoods did go
He enlisted as a soldier
To fight the German foe.

And then our brave Fred WHEELOR
A widow's youngest boy
He died of wounds, which he received
In battle last July

Sidney LOCKE then volunteered
His country to protect
He's over in the land of France
Still trying to do his bit

With Sidney, our noble hero
Norman FORWARD volunteered
With sad regret we heard the news
That in action he was killed

The next to go was but a boy
Alphonso BOYD is he
A widowed fathers only child
He's trying to do his duty.

Two strapping lads then joined the rank,
Ambrose and Chesley WHEELOR
One leaves a widowed father behind
The other a sorrowing mother

May God protect them who still lives
And guard them from all harm
Comfort the friends of those who died
And bring them to his Arm.

God give us everlasting peace
And guard us from the Kaiser
God save our King and Heave bless
Our Soldier lads forever

Composed by Ethel L. BOYD, Tizzard's Harbour
Rev. Hunt went to Morton's Hr. on the 'Clyde' last night for
Sunday
Two agents selling enlargements were in town this week......(today
they do this on the internet, smile, lghr)
A message received in the city yesterday for the Old Country
stated that the Furness Liner 'Annapolis', which left here 11 days
ago, had been sunk by a Hun submarine. The exact position was
not given but we presume it was off the Irish Coast. We are
informed by the Postmaster General that the ship carried five bags
and five hampers of mail, practically all of which was consigned
to the G.P.P. London, Nfld. Pay and Record Office, London,
Newton-on Ayr and Liverpool. The letters and packages would be
those posted from Saturday afternoon, April 7th to Tuesday 10th.
Her cargo also included a large shipment of pulp and paper from
here, but we are glad to state, on the authority of Hon. R.
WATSON, the report incorrest that she had on board the ???? for
St. Dunstan's. These, so far as is known, are still safe.
Twillingater Injured: A kind friend has handed us a clipping from
a Toronto paper of April 11th, which has the following: Workman
Lost Hand...Arthur COOPER, aged 38 of 36 Essex Ave, had his left
hand so badly injured this morning while at work the Bloor street
viaduct that amputation was found necessary at Toronto General
Hospital. COOPER is a married man with seven children. ....Mr.
COOPER was here last fall, and is a son of Mr. George COOPER,
South Side. A brother of his, with the Canadians, was killed
last fall, while another won the Military Cross.
One of the crew of Capt. Wm. SNOW's schooner, the 'Luetta', named
Frank JENKINS, was taken suddenly ill on Saturday afternoon, and
on a doctor being called, he was found to be suffering from an
acute attack of appendicitis, and was ordered to the Hospital
immediately.

page 4....TWILLINGATE Sun .....May 5th, 1917

W.P.A. at Crow Head: A very good audience was present at the
first public appearance of thw W.P.A. at Crow Head on Tuesday
night. The program was lengthy, but enjoyable and during an
interval cake and syrup was served. Mrs. Arthur ELLIOTT,
president of the Society occupied the chair, and speeches were
made by Rev. ROBB and Magistrate SCOTT. Miss Meta ELLIOTT acted
as accompanist. We desire to congratulate the Crow Head ladies on
the good start they have made.
May soon be Wearing Codfish Shoes: The United States government
experiments to develop leather from shark and other fish skins are
exported to be progressing satisfactorly. In addition to the
skins of sharks, experiments were made with the skins of such fish
as cod, hake, grouper and stingray.
Obituary: Joseph ELLIOTT...The death of Joseph ELLIOTT of Sleepy
Cove robs us of another well known figure, who for many years has
moved among us, shedding a quiet smile and pleasant manner
wherever he went.
Since his illness there is no place he has been more sincerely
missed than at the SUN office, where he was a frequent visitor,
and one who was ever welcome.
All his life he had been a healthy man with never a days sickness,
until last winter he contracted consumption, and its course was
very rapid. Within a month he had to take to the bed from which
he never rose, and passed peacefully out of Time into Eternity on
Monday morning.
It was our priviledge to see him alive on Sunday week last, but he
was only a shadow of his former self, though through it all that
spirit of cheerfulness never left him he was able to wish us
goodbye with an added "God Bless you." Numerous friends visited
him during his illness, showing the general esteem in which he was
held, for though the way was long all desired to pay their
respects to one so generally loved.
It is no flattery to the dead to say that his quiet, unassuming,
pleasant, upright life was an object lesson to us all and the
world is a better place for having known such men as Joseph
ELLIOTT.
The late Joseph ELLIOTT, who was at the time of his death in his
seventieth year, came originally from Little Bay Islands, and his
family lived on the South Side, where Mr. Robt. HAYWARD now lives.
He married a widow, Mrs. DOVE, whose daughter is Mrs. H. James
PRESTON, and settled in Sleepy Cove. Here one daughter Mrs. John
MILLS was born. There is also two surviving sisters, Mrs.
BUDGELL and Mrs. Reuben ELLIOTT.
To the bereaved widow and daughter and other relatives the SUN
extends its sympathy. "A friend in need, is a friend indeed".
To the Editor, Twillingate Sun...Dear Sir:--Will you please
publish in your next issue of the Twillingate Sun, the enclosed
list of names of those persons who so generously responded to the
appeal made on behalf of Edgar JENKINS, who owing to sickness for
the past three years or more, was unable to provide for himself
and family during the past winter. Thanking you in anticipation,
Yours truly, Chas. D. MAYNE...Tw'gate April 30th, 1917.
Collected by Chas. D. Mayne;
William ASHBOURNE $5.00
Capt. William SNOW $2.00
James GILLETT of George $1.20

A.G. ASHBOURNE
Charles D. MAYNE
Nathanael JENKINS
William OAKE
James PRIMMER
Samuel PENNEL
John GILLETT
George PHILLIPS
Solomon SKINNER
John WATERMAN
William WATERMAN
Saul WHITE
Arthur YOUNG
Elias YOUNG...$1.00 each

James PHILLIPS--- .75
Miss MITCHARD---.70

Chesley ROBERTS
Peter GRIMES
Walter YOUNG
Stewart ROBERTS
George YOUNG, N.S.
J.W. MINTY
William HUGHES
Stephen LOVERIDGE
Bert SWEETLAND
Miss Jessie STUCKLES N.S.
John POND
Roland CHURCHILL
George RANDELL
Eli YATES
Isaac CHURCHILL
Philip CHURCHILL
John PHILIPS
Willis HULL
James ANSTEY B. Hr.
John ANSTEY
Robert ANSTEY
Walter ANSTEY
Edgar ROBERTS S.S.
George RIDEOUT B.Hr.
Robert PRIMMER
Sidney LOVERIDGE
Samuel COOPER
John COOPER
Thomas SKINNER
Stanley RANDELL,
Fred k PHILLIPS,
Peter PARSONS
Isaac GREENHAM
Capt. Frank ROBERTS
Chas WHITE N.P.
Sidney YOUNG
Alfred LINFIELD
John BUTCHER
Capt. James YOUNG
Edgar HODDER C.W. ---.50 each

Miss Flossie YOUNG
Miss Pearl ROBERTS
George HAWKINS --- .40 each

John HULL of Geo,
Andrew HULL
Philip YOUNG
Miss Maggie YOUNG --.30 each

Caleb SMITH
Miss Bessie Philips,
Mrs. Joseph YOUNG of Simon,
Claud YOUNG,
Edgar WARR,
Fred k VERGE,
Andrew BOURDEN,
Simon YOUNG,
Herbert YOUNG,
Theophelus GILLARD,
William BOYDE of Abram --- .20 each

Robert KEEFE
Archibald BOURDEN ---.10 each

$48.45 TOTAL

"Collected by William WATERMAN"

Thomas WHITE
Isaac YOUNG --- $1.00 each

Thomas COOPER
Peter JACOBS
Peter JENKINS
Frederick EARLE
Edward WHITE
Edgar ROBERTS, Arm
Robert COOPER,
Peter CLARKE
William EARLE --- .50 each

Sidney WEAKLEY,
George ROGERS,
Joseph DALLEY --- .30 each

Lewis LEGGE
George MINTY,
Eli FROST,
John PRIMMER,
William POND,
George COOPER,
Joseph HELLIER,
Stanley HELLIER ---.20 each

James LEWIS ---.10

Collected by Wm. Waterman $9.10
Collected by Chas D. Mayne 45.45 total $57.55

=====to be con'td by lghr

This thread: