NFLD-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > NFLD-ROOTS > 2006-01 > 1137431615

From: Scott family <>
Subject: Re: Dove families - Newfoundland
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:14:36 -0400

Rev. James Dove is described by Rev. Charles Lench in his 1919 book, The
Story of Methodism in Bonavista.
"1866-1869 Rev. James Dove (afterwards D.D)
Mr. Dove was one of the strong preachers of the Methodist ministry. He
was well known to the writer. Times were hard during his ministry in
Bonavista. He was married to Miss White, daughter of Capt. White, the
noted seal killer, who always observed the Sabbath at the ice, before we
had the present sealing laws."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rev. James Dove 1885-1888
The Cyclopaedia of Methodism published in 1880 show the following dates
for James Dove on pg 384
1855 St. John's, Newfoundland
1857 Burin, Newfoundland
1859 Port de Grave, Newfoundland
1860 Island Cove, Newfoundland
1863 Harbour Grace, Newfoundland
1866 Bonavista, Newfoundland
1869 St. John's, Newfoundland
1872 Twillingate, Newfoundland
1873 Carbonear, Newfoundland
1874 Newfoundland Conference
Financial Secretary 1863-1873
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The following biography is located at the following website
http://www3.nf.sympatico.ca/feclarke/dove.html
Rev. Dr. James Dove: by Frank E. Clarke
James Dove was born at Darlington, England in 1826. He entered the
Methodist ministry in Newfoundland in 1855 and was ordained in 1859, and
during more than thirty years in the active ministry served many of the
larger circuits in the Island. These included Burin, Bonavista, St.
John's, 1855 - 1857 when he assisted Rev. John Snowball. He again served
from 1869-72 at the Gower Street. Carbonear1873, 1874, 1875, 1876,
Harbour Grace, Blackhead, Cupids, and Brigus.
He was well liked by the people in Carbonear and served 1873, 1874,
1875, and was President of the District between 1867 - 1877, he also
served there from 1879 - 18890 and 1883 to 1884.
He held many District and Conference offices, including the Presidency
three times: in 1876 - 77, 1879 - 80, and 1883 - 84. He was a delegate
to the General Conference of the Methodist Church in 1878 and 1883, and
to the Ecumenical Congress in London in 1881. He retired in 1888,
becoming a Supernumerary minister at George Street Church in St. John's.
In 1893, in recognition of his many years of service to the Church, "the
Nestor of Newfoundland Methodism" (as The Methodist Monthly Greeting,
July 1893 described him), was awarded the honorary degree of Doctor of
Divinity by Mount Allison University.
He retired in 1888 and died in St. John's on January 2, 1908.

I have pictures of Rev. James Dove and am interested in making contact
with any descendants. Any information or assistance is appreciated
Sincerely
Ian Scott
Charlottetown PEI

This thread: