NGS-L Archives

Archiver > NGS > 2004-08 > 1091605528

From: "" <>
Subject: UpFront Vol. 3, No. 15, 01 August 2004
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 00:45:28 -0700

UpFront with NGS
The Online Newsletter of the National Genealogical Society
Volume 3, Number 15 -- 01 August 2004
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

Co-editors: Dennis and Carla Ridenour

To view the HTML version of UpFront visit:
http://www.NGSgenealogy.org/UpFront/080104/web
To view the PDF version of UpFront visit:
http://www.NGSgenealogy.org/UpFront/080104/080104.pdf

Quote of the Day -- 01 August 2004
" I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my
telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my
telephone." ---Bjarne Stroustrup, computer science professor, designer
of C++ programming language from Favorite Quotes of Robbie Bednark,
http://bednark.com/quotes.html

Today In UpFront
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
NGS Research Trip
--2005 NGS Research Trip to Salt Lake City
NGS Online Course
--Native American Genealogy
NGS BookStore
--NGS Bookstore Specials: Novelty Items
Web Sites Worth Visiting
--ResearchBuzz
--North Carolina History and Fiction Digital Library
Digital Imaging for Genealogists (DIG)
--Paring Down Our List of Digital Cameras
News, Announcements, and Press Releases
--Genealogy Computing Workshops in Dearborn, Michigan
--25th Annual Texas State Hispanic Genealogy Conference
Victoria, Texas September 17-19, 2004
--The Family History Library Saturday Patron Classes for August 2004
(Salt Lake City, Utah)
--The Master Genealogist UK Edition
--The Master Genealogist Version 5.15.000 --- Free Update
--"Demystifying Digital Photography" by Dave Huss
--Mall of America Scrapbook Festival
--August Genealogical Events
Previous Issues of UpFront with NGS
Family Reunion Calendar
How to Submit Items for Publication in UpFront with NGS
How to Subscribe or Unsubscribe
NGS Contact Information

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

The National Genealogical Society is the indispensable resource for
genealogists seeking excellence in publications, education offerings,
research materials, and peer interaction with others that share the
common bond of interest in the field of genealogy.

The opinions, articles, and statements expressed herein are solely for
the use of our readers. Neither the reviews nor the reports may be
used in advertising or for any commercial purpose. NGS and the
authors disclaim any liability, loss, or risk, personal or otherwise
that is or may be incurred as a consequence, directly or indirectly,
of the use and applications of any of the products, techniques, and
technologies mentioned herein. NGS does not imply endorsement of any
outside advertiser or other vendors appearing in this electronic
newsletter.

To learn more about the goals, publications, conferences, services and
members benefits of the National Genealogical Society, visit the NGS
Web site: http://www.NGSgenealogy.org

© 2004 National Genealogical Society

NGS Research Trip
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

2005 NGS Research Trip to Salt Lake City
Sunday 23 January - Sunday 30 January

The National Genealogical Society is pleased to announce a research trip
to the Family History Library in January 2005. This is the sixth annual
trip and as in the past, the trip will be co-led by Dereka Smith, MLS
and Shirley Langdon Wilcox, CG, FNGS.

Dereka is the former librarian of the National Genealogical Society
where she worked from 1994 until 2004. She obtained her Masters of
Library Science degree from Catholic University. Shirley served two
terms as NGS President and has been a Certified Genealogist since 1973.
She was president of the Association of Professional Genealogists from
1991-1993 and currently serves on the Boards of the NGS, the Board for
Certification of Genealogists and the Virginia Genealogical Society.

The trip package price includes seven nights at the Salt Lake City Plaza
Hotel, located next door to the Library. The Plaza is ideally located
with access to the library, shopping malls and restaurants. An informal
reception on Sunday evening, pizza on Wednesday and a last night dinner
are also included. You may elect to have other meals on your own or
with members of the group but at your own expense. Airfare and other
personal expenses are not included in the package price.

The Family History Library in Salt Lake City is the world's largest
genealogical facility. You will have access to more than two million
rolls of microfilm, hundreds of thousands of microfiche, a huge
collection of published genealogical works and a wide range of modern
electronic resources. The trip leaders, both very experienced with the
Library, will be available throughout your stay to help you make best
use of your research time. Registrants will receive a detailed letter
in October and orientation will be provided upon arrival in Salt Lake
City.

The cost for the trip will be $850 for participants wanting a single
room and $560 for a shared room.

If you have any questions, please e-mail Dereka Smith at

If you'd like to participate in this research trip, please complete the
following registration form and send it to the postal address provided
at the end of the form.

Registration Form
2005 NGS Research Trip to Salt Lake City
Sunday 23 January - Sunday 30 January
Registration Deadline 31 October 2004

NGS Member Number _________________

Your Name ______________________________________________

Street or Box # ___________________________________________

City, State, Zip ___________________________________________

Telephone _______________________________________________

E-mail Address ___________________________________________
(your e-mail address will not be used for any purpose unconnected with
this trip)

Single Room $885 _____

Shared Room* $570 _____ Room-mate _______________

*Registrants may arrange their own roommate or request that we attempt
to do so. If no roommate is available you must pay the single rate.

NGS would prefer that you provide a credit card number. Your card will
not be charged until 1 November at which point we will take ½ of the
total payment. The remainder will be charged on 1 December. Persons
canceling will receive no refunds once the credit card has been charged.

Visa _____ Mastercard_____Discover______American Express _____

Card No. _________________________

Expiration Date ___________________

Signature ____________________________

Mail to: NGS 2005 SLC Research Trip
4527 17th Street North
Arlington VA 22207-2399

Contributed by Dereka Smith,

NGS Online Courses
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

Native American Genealogy

Tracing your Native American ancestor is one of the more challenging
genealogical research problems. People who have traditions like "Mary
Frances (Marshall) Fent, was the daughter of a full-blooded Delaware
Indian" are faced with learning new sources.

One of the time-honored sources that genealogists use is the census.
Yet, the Native American researcher may not find their ancestors listed
on the Federal population schedules.

The United States Constitution provided that "Indians not taxed" were to
be excluded from the federal census. "Indians not taxed" were those
people who lived on reservations or who roamed as nomads over unsettled
tracts of land.

The early population censuses included Native Americans only if they
lived in settled areas, did not maintain a tribal affiliation, and paid
taxes.

To learn about how Native Americans were listed on the censuses, about
the special Indian censuses, and how to obtain these, consider taking
the NGS online course, "Special Census Schedules." Section headings
include: special schedules for Native Americans, 1880, 1900, and Indian
population schedules, 1920 and 1930 censuses, interpreting and using
Indian schedules, and how to locate the schedules.

Special Federal Census Schedules is an online course designed for
genealogists who want to learn more about the information that can be
found in census records, and how that information can be used in their
genealogical research. The course is open to anyone who wishes to
enroll. Members of the National Genealogical Society (NGS) receive a
tuition discount. For further information, go to the NGS Web site,
http://www.ngsgenealogy.org and click on "Learning Center." Registration
can be done online at http://www.ngsgenealogy.org/Courses/Course.cfm.

Contributed by Connie Lenzen, CGRS

NGS BookStore
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

NGS Bookstore Specials: Novelty Items

UpFront readers have the first opportunity to take
advantage of these terrific deals! Visit the NGS
bookstore on the Web at
https://www.ngsgenealogy.org/BookStore/ListItems.cfm?CATID=12

NGS Baseball Hat $5.00

Backpack - Black $7.00

Gym Bag $8.00

Laptop Computer Backpack $15.00

Neck Wallet $3.95

Tote Bag $5.00

Umbrella $6.00

Portfolio Bag $4.00

Contributed by Illyce Mac Donald
NGS Member Services

Web Sites Worth Visiting
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

ResearchBuzz

ResearchBuzz, a Web site dedicated to covering the world of Internet
research, is a fun and informative place to visit. Tara Calishain the
owner, author, and editor of ResearchBuzz has been writing about search
engines and Internet searching for nearly ten years. Ventana published
her first book on Internet research, "Official Netscape Guide to
Internet Research," in 1996. Tara started ResearchBuzz to support the
2nd edition of her ONGIR, which was published in April 1998. On her Web
site she mentions that if there's a doubt about whether or not to
include information about a new database or search engine in her updates
to ResearchBuzz, the final question is, "Would a reference librarian
find it useful?" If the answer's yes, in it goes!

I try to visit ResearchBuzz at least once a month and almost always find
several items of interest to genealogists. The ResearchBuzz Web site is
located at http://www.researchbuzz.com

Editor's Note: ResearchBuzz is also available as a subscription
newsletter with a free version e-mailed every Thursday or as ReseachBuzz
Extra with additional news and resources and a weekly article on some
aspect of searching. Subscription to ResearchBuzz Extra is $30 per year
or $20 for educators, librarians, and students. Directions for
subscribing to either version are available at the Web site.

North Carolina History and Fiction Digital Library

A July 27 entry a ResearchBuzz.com provides the URL for a new digital
library called "North Carolina History and Fiction Digital Library."
This digital library, a project of the Joyner Library Academic Library
Services of East Carolina University, features both images and
transcriptions of full-text searchable digitized documents and books
pertaining to the history of 29 counties located in eastern North
Carolina as well as works of fiction relating to some of the counties. A
listing of public libraries, cultural heritage sites with photographs
available for each site, and a National Register of Historic Places are
also provided for each county plus maps and a population history, making
this a useful site for tourists as well as genealogists and historians.

The North Carolina History and Fiction Digital Library is located at
http://www.lib.ecu.edu/ncc/historyfiction/

Digital Imaging for Genealogists (DIG)
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

Paring Down Our List of Digital Cameras

So, what camera do I use? I have a nice copy stand with an Olympus E10.
There, that kills the suspense! Now this has been an extremely short
article hasn't it? Until next issue, think digitally-Denny

Oh, I forgot to mention, the Olympus E10 is no longer available, at any
price. That kinda makes it hard to recommend, doesn't it? Maybe we
better take a deeper look into our camera list [see UpFront, Vol. 3, No.
14, 15 July 2004].

If you downloaded the .PDF or .XLS file included with last issues
article, the first thing you might have noticed was that some of the
prices were "out of whack." This is what comes from Internet shopping,
especially if you have a lot of cameras to cover, and only a relatively
short time to do it. In the past two weeks I have gone back over the
list and am ready to make some changes.

This issue's article was to be a discussion of paring down the list so
that it broke the cameras down into 4 classes or price categories; Class
1: $0.00 to $200.00; Class 2: $200.00 to $500.00; Class 3: $500.00 to
$700.00; and Class 4: $700.00 to $2000.00. (Note: Cameras priced above
$2000.00 are not listed, as they are probably not cameras people
purchase mainly for genealogy.) However, as I began to work, I saw that
my methods for selection were eliminating some good cameras with lots of
handy features for genealogy and leaving some on the list that I would
not buy with your money or mine.

Here I depart slightly. If you have discovered anything about me, it is
that my wife Carla and I work on everything together. We are together on
so many projects that people think we share one brain. Really! We've
been told this many times. It does, however, come phrased a little
differently, with comments like, "You know, Dennis, without Carla, you'
re a half-wit." Anyway, I take these comments to mean that we share the
whole brain very well. When I need it, she lets me use it, and when she
needs it, I let her have it. We have not worked out any specific
scheduling, but it is on an "as needed" basis.

When I started this new series of articles, Carla asked me if I would
need the brain and, if I remember correctly, I said something like,
"Picking a genealogy camera? It's a 'no-brainer'." Then after gathering
my 300th camera, it dawned on me that it's a "full-brainer'." But by
then I had dug a hole that I couldn't see out of without standing on a
stack of 300 cameras. Meekly I asked Carla if I could use the whole
brain for the rest of the series, and she said, "we'll see." So, if
things sometimes look a little strange, you will know I am doing it
"without brain."

Back to article "with brain." It looks to me as if we need to either
bring some new criteria into the mix now, or take our first choice
criteria (Price, Megapixels, Zoom, and Macro) to eliminate the cameras
that I would not necessarily recommend.

Since price is one of our criteria, I think the first item of business
would be to update the price column in last issue's camera list. I don't
mean prices that are $50 to $75 high or low, (it's nearly impossible to
track prices from day to day) but I do mean prices that are sometimes
hundreds of dollars off. The next item would be, as Carla informed me
when she was running on "full-brain," would be availability. This ties
directly to camera manufacturers, in that if Sony or one of the other
well-known manufactures discontinues a camera it is only a short time
until it is no longer in stock-anywhere! On the other hand, if BenQ
discontinues a camera, it can many times be found where it was sold
originally---on the BenQ Web site.

We'll make our price adjustments in this issue of UpFront and our
availability problem adjustments next issue. Truth be known, many of the
nearly unavailable cameras may disappear from our list simply when we
introduce new criteria.

By verifying the prices, I came up with 193 cameras with a resolution of
1.9 MP or higher, at least a 3X digital zoom, and a Macro setting of 16
cm or less, all priced between $0 and $2000. The revised list is posted
at http://www.NGSgenealogy.org/UpFront/080104/clist.pdf
Look it over and see if your favorite camera is on it, and then watch to
see if it survives next issue. 'Til then think digitally---Denny

Contributed by Dennis Ridenour, or
or

News Item
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

Genealogy Computing Workshops in Dearborn, Michigan

Henry Ford Community College in Dearborn, Michigan, will sponsor two
days of genealogy computing workshops presented by Michael John Neill,
columnist for the Ancestry Daily News on 15 and 16 October 2004.

15 October will be "Word and Excel for Genealogists"

16 October will be "Getting the Most from the Family Search Website"

Workshops will be held in hands-on computer labs and registration is
limited. More details can be obtained by visiting:
http://www.rootdig.com/michiganoctober2004.html

Contributed by Michael John Neil

News Item
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

25th Annual Texas State Hispanic Genealogy Conference
Victoria, Texas September 17-19, 2004

The Texas State Hispanic Genealogy Conference will celebrate its 25th
Anniversary, hosted by the Victoria Hispanic Genealogy and Historical
Society of Texas. Speakers to include Professor Armando Alonzo, Ana
Carolina Castillo Crimm, Joel Rene Escobar, Professor Isreal
Cavasos-Garza, Michael Salinas, Dr. Andres Tijerina, and Homero S. Vera.

Come celebrate your Hispanic Heritage and the Silver Jubilee Anniversary
in Historic Victoria and visit the Presidio La Bahia.

For more information on the conference contact Sophia Wilson, President
at or go to the Society Web site at
http://www.tisd.net/~dcano/vhghost.htm

Contributed by Michael A. Salinas
Events Chairperson
25th Annual Texas State Hispanic Genealogy Conference

News Item
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

The Family History Library Saturday Patron Classes for August 2004
(Salt Lake City, Utah)

Here are the Family History Library Patron classes for the month of
August:

14-Aug-04 - 2:00 P.M.
China Research Series:
Using PAF 5.2 - Multimedia (in Chinese)
Room 134/136, FHL

28-Aug-04 - 9:00 A.M.
Norway Research Series:
Basic Elements of Norwegian Research
Room 134/136, FHL

Please call 1-800-453-3860 (ex 24950) to pre-register.
For a complete list of FHL classes, go to http://www.familysearch.org
and choose 'opportunities for education.'

Contributed by Max Wallace
FHL Division Training Committee

News Item
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

The Master Genealogist UK Edition

Wholly Genes Software, http://WhollyGenes.com, has announced the release
of the "UK Edition" of The Master Genealogist (TMG). This special
edition of TMG is configured for people whose principal research
interests are in the United Kingdom. It supports the new UK-style
drop-line charts and a long list of special customizations designed by
UK researchers.

For details, see http://www.WhollyGenes.com/tmg5uk_pr.htm or
http://www.whollygenes.com/tmg5uk.htm

News Item
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

The Master Genealogist Version 5.15.000

The Master Genealogist v5.15.000 is now available. This free update
includes a collection of new features and bug fixes as follows:

* New - The Report Options > Lines tab includes a new option to draw
lines on descendant box charts and hourglass charts in the "UK Style"
(spouses are connected with a double line, the children connector line
descends from the middle of the spouse line rather than the spouse box,
etc.).

* New - The same tab includes options to control the size, color, style,
and connection point of the spouse line.

(Note: Access to these new features does not require the new "UK
Edition" of TMG.)

* Improvements and Fixes

Improved direct import from Legacy (Old Style dates).
Improved direct import from UFT (Biography sentence).
Improved direct import from Generations:
- Now imports multiple AKAs.
- Now imports cause of death.
- Added an option to assume that a couple on the Family Card
is married unless otherwise specified.
- Improved import of source abbreviation.
- Embedded citations now remain embedded instead of linked.
Removed the [M] variable from the Memo right-click menu.
Overwriting the Standard Layout is now prohibited.
Fixed add/edit of source types in the Silver Edition.
Fixed filtering on custom flags and some other filter errors.
Fixed backup to hard drive with spanning disk.
Use of the right-click menu no longer affects the clipboard value.
Fixed VCF > Export when VCF.EXE is started alone.
Fixed a charting problem when custom flags have been deleted
from a project.
Fixed the display of some roles on the Family Group Sheet
and Individual Detail report.
Fixed some problems navigating with the Project Explorer.
Fixed some problems with the Last Viewed Person button.
Fixed some other obscure navigation errors.
Fixed some default sentences in non-English languages.
Fixed F3 (repeat) in the Date Calculator.
Fixed web searches for users of the BT Yahoo browser.
Fixed chart upload feature for the chart printing service.
Fixed the default sort order for the Master Place List.
Fixed the Distribution of People report which would sometimes
exclude people without a surname.
Fixed a variety of more obscure bugs that were reported by
individual users.
Includes updated strings for Norwegian (2 dialects), Dutch,
French, and German.
Includes an updated help file.

This free v5.15.000 update requires a previous installation of v5.11.000
or later. (Users with a prior version must first apply the free update
to v5.11.000). To download and apply the update, run TMG, access the
Help menu and choose "Check for an update." Alternatively, you can
choose "Check for a Program Update" from the Windows Start menu > The
Master Genealogist group. The update will be applied automatically. Upon
restarting, the startup screen will reflect a version number of
"v5.15.000."

For additional information about TMG and related products, vist
http://www.WhollyGenes.com

News Item
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

"Demystifying Digital Photography" by Dave Huss

Jasc Software, the developer of Paint Shop Pro, is offering 'Working
with Non-Digital Images' (.pdf) a sample chapter from the book
"Demystifying Digital Photography" by veteran photographer and author
Dave Huss. This chapter, formatted as a .PDF file, discusses how to use
your scanner and Paint Shop Pro, a popular image-editing program, to
turn non-digital memorabilia such as newspaper clippings, tickets to
events, dried flowers and/or other 3-dimensional items into digital
keepsakes. To download a free copy of the sample chapter, visit
http://list.jasc.com/UM/T.asp?A1.80.552.11.3036533

To purchase a hard copy of the entire book for $10.95, see
http://www.jasc.com/products/creations/default.asp?cid8=154323&IDPWD=303
6533-2HG84VG0

News Item
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

Mall of America Scrapbook Festival

Achivers, The Photo Memory Store, and the Mall of America located in
Bloomington, Minnesota will host the 2nd Annual Mall of America
Scrapbook Festival, 10-12 September 2004.

Festival events include scrap booking demonstrations and vendor exhibits
featuring new products and projects, plus daily classes on Friday from
1:30 pm-7:30 pm and Saturday & Sunday from 10:00 am-3:30 pm. An
Archiver's All Night Crop is also scheduled for Friday from 9:00 pm
until 5:00 am Saturday morning.

Online registration for the classes and crop session is available at
http://www.archiversonline.com/

For additional information about this event, visit
http://www.mallofamerica.com/events/event_detail.aspx?eventid=5662

News Item
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

August Genealogical Events

1- 5 August
The Virginia Genealogical Society will hold the Virginia Institute of
Genealogical Research (VIGR7) at Rosyln retreat, Richmond, Virginia.
Two tracks are available: Track 1-- Introduction to Virginia Research;
Track 2 --- Virginians and Their Land. For details, visit the society's
Web site at http://www.vgs.org/

3-6 August
Brigham Young University will hold its 36th annual BYU Genealogy and
Family History Conference at the BYU Conference Center, Provo, Utah.
Eight information tracks will be available: European and Nordic
Research, Family History Center Operations, Genealogical Computing,
Writing and Publishing, Research Methodology, United Kingdom and Ireland
Research, United States and Canada Localities, and U.S. and Canada
Records. For more information, see http://ce.byu.edu/cw/cwgen/

5-8 August
The Society of German Genealogy of Eastern Europe (SGGEE), Calgary,
Canada will present is annual conference "The Road Less Traveled."
Additional information is available at the following Web site,
http://www.sggee.org/

12-15 August
The Dallas Genealogical Society will hold its Summer Institute,
"Colonial Research in The Original Colonies," in Dallas, Texas. Featured
speakers are: Lloyd DeWitt Bockstruck, J. Erik Jonsson and George K.
Schweitzer. For more information, contact the society by e-mail
or visit the Web site at
http://www.dallasgenealogy.org

13-14 August
The Missouri State Genealogical Association will hold its 24th Annual
MoSGA Conference at the Holiday Inn Select Executive Center in Columbia,
Missouri. Keynote speaker: J. Mark Lowe, CG. For details, see
http://mosga.missouri.org/Conference.html

26-30 August
The Federation of Family History Societies (UK) will present its 30th
Anniversary Conference, "A Flight of Yesterdays," at Loughborough
University, Loughborough, Leicestershire, England. Contact Bernard Amps;
address: 100 Lynwood Drive, Romford Essex RM5 2QT; phone: +44 (0) 1708
761125; e-mail: ; or visit the Web site at
http://www.flightofyesterdays.org.uk/

Previous Issues of UpFront with NGS
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

Did you miss an issue of UpFront with NGS? Previous issues are located
at http://www.NGSgenealogy.org/upfront/archives/

Searchable issues of UpFront with NGS are on Roots:
http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/listsearch.pl?list=NGS

Family Reunion Calendar
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

To add your family reunion to this calendar, please send an
announcement to

Planning your own family reunion? Read the popular book in the NGS
Guide Series by Sandra McLean Clunies, CG: "A Family Affair"
https://www.ngsgenealogy.org/BookStore/ShowProduct.cfm?PRODID=402

Additional reunion news, archived reunion announcements, and a list of
reunion conferences, workshops and seminars are available at the
Reunions Magazine Web site: http://www.reunionsmag.com

For more reunion references see http://www.CyndisList.com/reunions.htm

August 1, 2004
ROCKWELL Reunion, Descendants of David and Polly, Chester and Betsy;
others welcome. Sunday, 1 August 2004, 12 Noon at Palmer Park, Racine
Street (Hwy 11 ), Janesville, Wisconsin. Contact Peggy Rockwell Gleich,
608-752-8816 or or write to Peggy at PO Box 8003,
Janesville WI 53547-8003.

August 1, 2004
The 77th Annual CORLEY Family Reunion: Descendants of Jonathan Cheatham
Corley (born c.1783 Bedford County, VA & died 1861 Shelby County, IL)
and his wife Delilah Basham will gather on 1 August 2004, 12:30 p.m., at
the Forest Park South Pavilion in Shelbyville, Illinois. You are asked
to bring your own table service, food to share, plus pictures and
stories of days past. Drinks will be provided. Contact Crystal
Corley-Shoger at for information or to be added
to the reunion update list. For additional information visit the Corley
Reunion Web site: http://www.corleyreunion.com

August 5-7, 2004
The PENNINGTON Research Association's 2004 Annual Reunion/Meeting will
be held August 5 - 7, 2004 in Richmond, Indiana. The Pennington
Research Association will dedicate a new Research Library/Archive at
Earlham College. For more information on this new Research
Library/Archive, go to
http://www.penningtonresearch.org/library/researchlibrary.htm. To learn
more about the Pennington Research Association, visit
http://www.penningtonresearch.org/Meetings/2004mtg.htm or contact Jasper
Green Pennington at

August 6-8, 2004
The White Bluffs - Hanford (Washington) 61st Reunion will take place on
6-8 August 2004 at the Richland Shilo Inn. Hotel reservations must be
made by 15 July. The phone number for the Richland Shilo Inn is
509-946-4661. Be sure to mention that you will be attending the White
Bluffs - Hanford reunion. Activities include a Saturday Bus tour of the
town sites on the Hanford Reservation; Saturday night banquet; Former
residents stories of White Bluffs and Hanford; Many pictures of the
former towns and residents; Sunday Picnic.For more information contact
Marilyn Perkins at 509-783-8610 or e-mail . Further
details are also available in the White Bluffs - Hanford Yahoo! Group
(Information sheet and Registration form are available in the Files
Section for this group), see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WhiteBluffsWA

August 7, 2004
The AMZI NEELY GRANT Family Reunion will take place on Saturday, August
7, 2004, 12 noon at the Armenia United Methodist Church Social Hall,
2840 Armenia Road Chester, South Carolina. Please come and enjoy a short
family business meeting, a family picnic and fellowship with us. Bring
a well-filled picnic basket. Ice and paper products will be provided. We
hope to see you there!! For more information, contact

August 8, 2004
The descendants of George William FULLER and Charity MANSFIELD and of
James Ambrose BUTTON by two wives, will celebrate the 58th annual
FULLER-BUTTON family reunion at Kings Court Trailer Park, 2899 LaFranier
Rd., Traverse City, Michigan. A potluck dinner will begin at 12 noon
followed by business, family updates, and games for young people. For
more information, family history, pictures, and a map, visit our Web
site at http://members.aol.com/fullerbutton/reunion.htm or e-mail the
secretary at

August 8, 2004
The LEATHERMAN Reunion will take place on Sunday August 8, 2004, at
Veterans Park, Carrollton, Ohio for the descendents of William Edward
LEATHERMAN and Maryanne Lucetta ROBINSON. William was the son of Peter
[b. Washington County, PA], son of Michael [b. Frederick County, MD],
son of Daniel [b. Germany]. There will be swimming (small fee) and a
playground for children. If you are on the mailing list, hamburgers, hot
dogs and sausage on the grill are provided. Bring a covered dish, your
own table service, and something for the auction. The auction is a
family favorite. Auction money will be used to rent the pavilion next
year.

August 14, 2004
MAPES: The 118th Mapes Reunion will be held on Sat., 14 Aug. 2004, at
the Otis Mapes Farm in Phillipsport New York, located off Route 209
between Ellenville and Wurtsboro (the turn off Rte. 209 is well-marked
with signs). The Mapes Genealogy books will be available at special
Reunion prices. The Mapes Genealogy database will be available for
individual searches. For more information contact: Joseph Boyle III, MD;
Registrar, Mapes Family Assoc., 71 Mary Ann Lane, Wyckoff NJ 07481;
phone: (201) 444-0439, e-mail:

August 21, 2004
The annual ODIORNE reunion will be held on Saturday from 10am to 3pm at
Odiorne Point State Park, Route 1-A, Rye, New Hampshire. For more
information, please contact Barbara Odiorne Kerr:

September 3-6, 2004 (note: new e-mail address for Clara Hoad)
The descendants of Jared B. &Florence (Graves) HOAG and John & Catherine
(Hergert) STEINMETZ will gather at the home of Bud & Clara (Hoag)
LOUTHAN in Coldwater, Kansas on Labor Day weekend, Sept 3-6, 2004.
Pre-registration is required. Please contact Clara at
or
620-582-2850.

September 10-12, 2004
A gathering of all people interested in the
WHITESIDE(S)/WHITSIDE/WHITSETT, etc. families will be held in Vernon,
Indiana at the home of Barbara Stone on September 10th through 12th.
Anyone interested in attending, please contact Sandra Whiteside
Trapp at

September 10-12, 2004
The SACKETT Family Association will hold its 2004 Family Gathering on
September 10-12 at the Holiday Inn - Downtown, 999 S. Main Street, Salt
Lake City, UT. Room reservations may be made by calling 1-800-465-4329.
Be sure to mention the group code of SAC or The Sackett Family
Association to get the special $55 per night rate. This rate has a time
limit so reservations should be made as soon as possible. Sacketts of
all spellings are cordially invited. For more details as well as the
registration form, contact Liesa Robarge at
or Nancy Cluff Siders at
or visit the Web page at:
http://www.geocities.com/sackettreunion/RegistrationFormVer8.doc

September 23-26, 2004
The 3rd Annual Herrick Family Association will be held in Washington, DC
at the Metro Center Marriott from September 23-26. Tours and research
opportunities will be on Friday and Saturday at the National Archives,
DAR Library and the Library of Congress. A reception will be on Friday
night and the dinner/meeting will be on Saturday night with guest
speakers. For additional information please contact Curt Herrick or Dale
Yoe at or the association Web site
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~herrick/

September 24-25, 2004
The STANDRIDGE Family Historical Society will host a reunion of all
Standridge families, Sept. 24 - 25, 2004, in Greenville, South
Carolina. A military tombstone dedication for Revolutionary War veteran
James Standridge (1755 - 1837) will be the highlight of the weekend. For
more information and a sample copy of the family newsletter contact
Russell P. Baker, , 6525 Magnolia Dr., Mabelvale,
AR 72102.

October 2-3, 2004
HICKLIN Reunion: Descendants of Arthur Hicklin (abt
1710-1785) and sons William, George, Arthur, John, or Hugh of
Lancaster/Chester area of South Carolina are invited to attend a reunion
on October 2-3 2004 in Chester, South Carolina. For more information,
contact Jim Knox 1-803-548-3225.

October 8-11, 2004
The BOBO Family Association will hold its 2004 Reunion on 8-11 October
at the Quality Inn & Suites, Arlington, Texas (Dallas-Ft. Worth area).
All descendants of Gabriel BAUBEAU who emigrated to Virginia in October
of 1700, are invited to attend. Cousins from more than 10 states are
expected to attend. Bill HOCUTT, a BOBO descendant and author of Unk
Hiram genealogical articles, will speak at the banquet. For additional
information, contact: Charles H. (Chuck) BOBO, BFA Coordinator, 3101
Thurman Rd., No. H-22, Huntsville, AL 35805; E-Mail: ;
Web site: http://www.familybobo.org.

October 15-16, 2004
The SUFFRIDGE Family Reunion will be held October 15-16, 2004, at the
Blackman Church of Christ Fellowship Hall, 1353 Brinkley Road,
Murfreesboro, Tennessee 37128. All Suffridge, Selfridge, Sulfridge,
Suffrage, etc. and associated families are welcomed. Lynda Childers
Suffridge, NGS Life member and former NGS Board member, will be the
featured speaker on Saturday, October 16 at 11 a.m. speaking on "Where
Our Ancestors Lived." For further information and pre-registration
please visit our Web site at http://www.blackmanchurch.org/reunion.htm
or contact Todd Tarkington at

October 15-17, 2004
The RYKER-RIKER Historical Society, Inc., will hold its Biannual Reunion
on 15-17 October 2004, at Clifty Falls State Park, Madison, IN.
Information and reservations are available from Jack Gotte at 7406
Spring Village Dr. #517, Springfield, VA 22150, Ph (703) 451-4337 e-mail
.

October 16-17, 2004
The AMES Society holds an Ames/Eames Reunion at the Radisson Hotel in
Brockton MA. All Ames/Eames descendants are invited; pre-registration is
recommended. For more information, contact Stafford-Ames Morse, 12522
Corliss Ave N., Seattle WA 98133 or visit http://www.amessociety.org/.

October 22-23, 2004
The MORSE Society holds a Morse/Moss Open House and Reunion at the Merry
Manor Inn in Portland, ME. All Morse, Mors, Morss, and Moss descendants
are invited; pre-registration is recommended. For more information,
please contact Kathie Halvey, 3 Poplar Rd, Beacon NY 12508-1552 or visit
http://www.morsesociety.org/.

How to Submit Items for Publication in UpFront
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

To submit an article, a helpful tip or news for publication,
please send e-mail to: Co-Editors: Carla and Dennis Ridenour,
or

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

Send a NEW e-mail message to:

Type only one word in the body: subscribe
---or---
Type only one word in the body: unsubscribe

For technical help regarding the list, including how
to subscribe or unsubscribe, contact:
UpFront with NGS, List Administrator
Cyndi Howells,

NGS Contact Information