NGS-L Archives

Archiver > NGS > 2008-10 > 1222954000

From: "Upfront with NGS" <>
Subject: [NGS] UpFront with NGS - Volume 10, Number 10-1 October 2008
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 09:28:45 -0400

UpFront with NGS
The Online Newsletter of the National Genealogical Society
Volume 10, Number 10-1 October 2008

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Today in UpFront

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Articles

-- Civil War Pension Files: Well Worth the Effort by Jan Alpert, NGS President
-- Salt Lake City Research Trips: 9-15 November 2008 and 25 January-1 February 2009
-- Genealogy News and Issues by Charles S. "Chuck" Mason, Jr., CG
-- More than the Dates by Pam Cerutti, Editor
-- A Great Observation on Sources

NGS News & Events

-- Prepare Entries Now for NGS Competitions and Award Nominations
-- Save the Date: 2009 NGS Conference in the States in Raleigh, NC
-- Research in the States Series Available
-- 2010 NGS Conference in the States Planned for Salt Lake City
-- Genealogy Lectures Available on CD ROM

Other News

-- VaGenSoc & TidewaterGenSoc Fall Conference - Newport News VA
-- APG Recognizes Genealogists with Achievement Awards
-- APG Honors Sandra Hargreaves Luebking
-- APG Honors Gary Mokotoff with Honorary Life Membership
-- APG Presents First Young Professional Scholarship
-- Pharos and the International Society for British Genealogy
and Family History Announce New Online Courses
-- GenSoftReviews Site Launched

Events Around the U.S.

Family Reunions

About UpFront
- Previous Issues of UpFront with NGS
- How to Submit Items for Publication in UpFront with NGS
- How to Subscribe or Unsubscribe
- Disclaimers and Copyright
- NGS Contact Information
- About NGS

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

-- Civil War Pension Files: Well Worth the Effort by Jan Alpert, NGS President

In my 25 years of doing family history research, I had not found any direct ancestors who served in the Civil War. They all seemed to be born too early or too late. Then, last summer I was helping my uncle research his maternal line, Thanks to Ancestry.com (the National Park Service, U. S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865, Provo, UT: The Generations Network, Inc., 2007, film number M539 Roll66), I found that his great grandfather, Stewart Neill, had served in Company H, 53rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry and filed for a pension (National Archives and Records Administration. Civil War Pension Index: General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934, Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2000, Certificate No. 214402). My uncle had been unable to identify his great-great-grandparents. He only knew from the 1880 federal census that Stewart Neill was born in Ohio around 1827, and both his parents were born in Ireland. With that, I suggested we see what information his Civil War pension file might contain.

Fortunately, the file contained more than 75 pages, including considerable information that we had not found in any other record. The file did not provide the names of Stewart Neill’s parents, but it said that he was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, and that he was 33 years of age and six feet tall with dark complexion, gray eyes, and black hair. His occupation when he enlisted was carpenter. This information narrowed my search from all of Ohio to the area in and around Trumbull County, Ohio. In the pension declaration dated 17 June 1879, Stewart stated that he contracted varicose veins in both legs, caused by excessive hard drilling and marching at Ottawa, Illinois, about December 1861.

The file indicated that on 23 November 1862 Wm. W. Welch, surgeon of the 53rd, examined him and found him incapable of performing the duties of a soldier because of varicose veins. “The disease is evidently of many years standing and does not incapacitate him for moderate exertion, but any active exercises [such] as marching produces ulceration and renders him unfit for duty. I regard him as wholly disabled for military service and recommend his discharge there from.”

Sworn affidavits were taken from a number of people whom he knew before and after his military service. There was a statement from Albert Rakestraw, with whom he had built houses before the war. Another record in the file indicated that Stewart was living in Orleans Parish, Louisiana, in 1865. Why was he there and for how long? Another opportunity for further research. Another affidavit came from Frank S. Wilmot, who stated, “Soon after I came here, he and his brother were the first persons I became acquainted with.” Although his brother was not named, this new information encouraged me to look more closely at other Neills and O’Neals residing in and around Peoria County, Illinois, where Stewart Neill lived.

Wm M. Mead, 42 and a resident of Chillicothe, Illinois, said, “I now have in my possession the family record of the death of Lydia Neill, 26 November 1857, first wife of Stewart Neill.” I have found no public death record of this early event.

A notice in the file indicated, “Stewart Neill, who was a pensioner under certificate No. 241,402, was last paid $6 to March 4, 1885, and has been dropped because of death.”

The rest of the file is a claim for his pension by his second wife, Margaret A. Neill (No. 348788). Beginning 1 June 1891 she received $8 per month. In an affidavit on 28 May 1891 she said that she “was married under the name of Margaret A. Scholes to said Stewart Neill on 4 November 1868 by Rev. A. A. Mathews at Chillicothe, Ill. He was married before, whose wife is now dead.”

Margaret submitted Stewart’s death certificate: which says, “Stewart Neill, male, white, 56 years 10 months 9 days, occupation farmer, died 2 Apr 1885 at 8:00 am in Chillicothe, Illinois. Born Ohio. Resident of Illinois 34 years. Duration of disease, 3 years. Cause of death: urethral stricture. Buried in Roots Cemetery, Hallack Township. Undertaker, Bailey and Co., Chillicothe, IL.”

Margaret Neill was dropped from the pension on 16 Mar 1895 because she remarried. Her marriage to Harrison Reed took place on 24 July 1894 by Rev. A. N. Lumpkin, minister in Peoria County, Illinois. She was ineligible for her first husband’s pension during this marriage; however, the file showed that she outlived her second husband as well. John Weaver, MD, provided a certificate of death that stated, “Harrison Reed was taken sick and died in a short time while I was present. 21 Oct 1908 late in the evening on that date.”

With this turn of events, Margaret Reed applied again for Stewart Neill’s pension. She was 68, born in Fall River, Massachusetts. Wm H. Miller was the notary, and his wife, Emily Miller, was one of the witnesses. The other witness was Caroline N. Slinn. Caroline Slinn signed an affidavit and said she was Margaret’s daughter. Caroline’s husband, A. E. Slinn, also submitted an affidavit.

The pension was reinstated 3 Oct. 1916, and Margaret received $12 a month in 1916, $25 in 1917, $30 in 1920 and $40 per month in 1928. The file showed that “22 Mar 1929, the name of the above described pensioner who was last paid a rate of $40 per month to 4 Feb 1929 has been dropped from the roles [sic] because of death.”

This one Civil War pension file contained information from Stewart’s place of birth in about 1827 until his wife’s death in 1929, a span of 102 years.

By now you may be wondering, “Was the size of this file and the amount of information it contained typical or unusual?” Based on my good fortune, I decided to extend my search and perhaps find out just how common this amount of information is.

I found that the brother of one of my great-great-grandmothers, J. [James] Dillon Turner, served in Company I, 105th Ohio Volunteers from 8 August 1862 to 26 June 1865 when he was discharged. In 1919 he was living in the Soldiers' Home in Grand Rapids, Michigan, where he died. I had been able to link brother and sister through their obituaries in Michigan. I had known this much for several years, but I had been unable to identify their parents in Ashtabula County, Ohio, where they both had been born. Because of my success with the Neill pension file, I decided obtain a copy of the Turner pension file to see if it also contained new and helpful information.

Although I am still analyzing this second file, which contains more than 200 pages, I have learned that he was captured and imprisoned in Andersonville, Georgia, where many of the captives did not survive. He received his initial pension in 1897 as the result of a gunshot wound suffered during the war. He then spent the rest of his life requesting an increase in his pension, due to rheumatism and diseases of the stomach which he believed originating while he was in prison during the war.

Turner’s personal affidavits were given at various times and named the places he lived, including Williamsfield, Ashtabula County, Ohio, where he was born and returned after the war. In 1866 he moved to Decatur, Van Buren County, Michigan. After 12 or 14 years, he moved to Lawton, Van Buren County, Michigan. He only stayed there a few months and then moved to Otsego, Allegan County, Michigan. He then moved to Gouverneur, St. Lawrence County, New York, where he was living in 1896, and then, in January 1900, he returned to Michigan and lived in Kalamazoo. I might have never identified all of these places he lived if I had not reviewed his Civil War pension file. I am optimistic that by doing further research about J. Dillon Turner I will be able to identify more of his other siblings and, ultimately, information about his parents. The research continues.

With all this new information in hand, I have a research trip planned for the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah, in November. I plan to do more research on both these families from these additional clues. When I have so many locations to check for an individual, I usually check to see what the Family History Library has available on microfilm before writing to the counties for specific records.

I will be making this trip as part of The National Genealogical Society’s November research trip. There’s another one scheduled for the end of January, too. The following article describes these trips, and you can find details on the NGS website at http://www.ngsgenealogy.org. Look for the NGS Events section on the home page.

I want to thank Sandra Clunies for her assistance in securing the Neill file and Marie Melchiori in securing the Turner file for me. In both cases there was a soldier's and a widow's file. You can learn about Civil War records, including Union pension files, at the National Archives website at http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/military/civil-war. A link on that page allows users to request records online. Confederate pensions were issued by individual Confederate states. An informational web page at the National Archives, http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/military/civil-war/confederate/pension.html, provides links to various states for information about obtaining Confederate files.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- Salt Lake City Research Trips: 9-15 November 2008 and 25 January-1 February 2009

The National Genealogical Society offers two research trips this winter: 9-15 November 2008 and 25 January-1 February 2009. The details about the trip are below and are available on the NGS website: http://www.ngsgenealogy.org.

If you have not been to the Family History Library before, this is an opportunity to do a week of intense family research. On the November trip, two experienced certified genealogists, Sandra Clunies and Shirley Wilcox, will help acquaint you with the resources available at the library and provide consultation about your specific research goals. A second research trip will be available 25 January-1 February 2009 with Shirley Wilcox, CG, and Marie Melchiori, CG, CGL, as your research hosts.

If you are an experienced genealogist who has visited the Family History Library before, here is an opportunity for you to consult with our leaders and perhaps take a fresh look at one of your brick walls. Several social events provide an opportunity for camaraderie with other family history researchers.

You can register for the Salt Lake City Research Trip, 9 November through 15 November 2008 at http://ngsgenealogy.org. Pricing and trip details are available on the website. Sign up early because space is limited to 30 participants. A second research trip will be available 25 January through 1 February 2009 with Shirley Wilcox and Marie Melchiori as your research hosts.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- Genealogy News and Issues by Charles S. "Chuck" Mason, Jr., CG

Did you ever have trouble finding a record for an ancestor? Perhaps it was a marriage, divorce, or a probate record or a deed that just was not filed where it should be. I certainly have a few of these missing records.

A recent topic on one of the email lists I subscribe to was “Gretna Greens.” If you are not familiar with this term, it refers to a place where it was easier to get married than the place where the couple was living. There were several locations that people mentioned, and one member of the email list had a whole list she had compiled by state that she was willing to share.

Elkton, Maryland, was the place some of my family took advantage of for these easy marriage requirements. Elkton is just across the border from Delaware and Pennsylvania and not far from New Jersey. My father's parents were married there in 1914 because my grandmother was only 17. She changed her baptismal certificate to use as proof, and they did not look at it very well when she applied for a license. I have the certificate now, and it is very clear that the date was altered.

My mother's sister was married there. She needed her parents' consent to be married in New Jersey because she was not 21, so the couple went to Maryland. In the 1960s and 70s, a number of my cousins were married there because they attended a church that did not believe in doctors, and Pennsylvania required a blood test. They did not need the blood test in Maryland. So it was that they, too, took advantage of the easier requirements in Maryland.

Divorces were also easier to obtain in some states than in others. In some cases, the grounds were not as limited. In others, the waiting period was not as long. Some of our ancestors may have gone to another state to obtain a divorce. Seemingly, none of my ancestors left New Jersey to get a divorce; however, I have only found two couples that divorced so far.

For some of our ancestors the local courthouse in the county where they lived may have been many miles away. Although they were supposed to file their probate cases and deeds in the county courthouse where they lived, some of our ancestors took advantage of the courthouse in the next county because it was closer.

All of this serves as a reminder that we sometimes need to expand our search for records outside of the normal places where we would expect to find their records. We often need to think creatively when we do research and examine all the possible places a record may have been filed. In many cases, we also need to examine the records of not just our immediate ancestors but all the collateral ancestors’ records that may also assist in finding the answers to our research problems.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- More than the Dates by Pam Cerutti, Editor

Like so many genealogy buffs, I spent several days of my summer vacation researching some of my ancestors who lived in a nearby state. I had reached a point where I wanted to delve into their lives and, more specifically for this trip, their deaths; so, I decided to see what I could glean from their wills and other probate records. One of my stops was at the state archives where I knew a number of these records reside. I walked past the granite façade and into a large room lined with bookshelves and populated with people engrossed in large volumes, small binders, and stacks of paper.

To speed my search, I began by striding up to one end of a long counter at the far side of the room. A pleasant lady peered across the counter and asked if I was here to do genealogy. I nodded with an eager smile, and she asked me to sign in. As I did so, I asked how I could request specific probate files. The response still rings in my ears: “Oh! You want the PROBATE department, down the other end. This is for GENEALOGY. We have all the birth, marriage, and death records over here!”

Now, I can understand that people might seek probate records for a number of reasons. However, it is hard to digest the suggestion that genealogy is limited to mere vital records. This encounter made me wonder just how widespread is the concept of genealogy as a collection of names, dates, and places. It told me there’s a lot of education ahead of us.

We can access many kinds of information about our ancestors from a broad range of resources today, thanks to the Internet. This and the digital preservation efforts of both large and small organizations have been a boon beyond our grandparents’ imaginings. One of our greatest challenges may be in overcoming our own mindsets.

My experience at the archives turned out to be very fruitful--much more rewarding than it would have been if I had limited my research to the state archives’ “Genealogy” department. Beyond learning new details of my early families’ lives, I had the thrill of holding papers they wrote and reading their signatures--including many “X's” for those who could not write. Learning of the hardships they endured and the obstacles they overcame gives me strength to forge ahead in difficult times. They didn’t even know me, but lived so that I have this opportunity. I also came away with a renewed mission to share their stories with the rest of my family and others whose interest might be awakening. When we look beyond the names and dates, we breathe life into the term “genealogy” for ourselves and for others.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- A Great Observation on Sources

Last month's issue of UpFront included a review of the book, “Pilgrims: New World Settlers & The Call of Home” by Susan Hardman. One subscriber's comments made a point worth passing on:

The excellent review of this book in UpFront compels me to add this comment:

I purchased this book last Fall. The sources listed by the author prompted me to search for some of the titles through my local library system. I was amazed to find so many available in my area through local universities. Shows once again that we must not confine our research to simply genealogical collections.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

NGS News & Events

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

-- Prepare Entries Now for NGS Competitions and Award Nominations

One of the highlights of the NGS Family History Conference each spring is the presentation of outstanding award winners from the genealogical community. Have you considered entering the competition for one of these prestigious awards? Do you know someone else you would like to nominate? Do you know a young genealogist whom you can encourage to enter the Rubincam Youth Award? Below is the list of awards for 2009.

-- NGS Newsletter Competition
-- Family History Writing Contest
-- Award for Excellence: Genealogy and Family History Book
-- Award for Excellence: Genealogical Methods and Sources
-- The Filby Prize for Genealogical Librarianship
-- NGS Home Study Course Scholarship Award
-- Rubincam Youth Award
-- National Genealogy Hall of Fame
-- Distinguished Service Award
-- Award of Honor
-- Award of Merit
-- NGS Fellow (FNGS)

The deadline for most of the awards is 31 January 2009. Only the NGS Newsletter Competition has an earlier deadline of 31 December 2008. Because the committee receives so many entries each year, they need more time to thoroughly review all the competing genealogical newsletters.

If you are preparing a family genealogy and are not yet ready for competition, NGS recommends you review the criteria for the “Family History Writing Contest.” The guidelines provided, as well as an award-winning example, are excellent tools to help you write a more professional family history.

For the details for each award, including the prize awarded and the judges’ criteria, visit http://www.ngsgenealogy.org/awards.cfm

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- Save the Date: 2009 NGS Family History Conference in Raleigh, NC

The NGS Family History Conference, "The Building of a Nation, From Roanoke to the West" will be held in Raleigh, North Carolina, 13-16 May 2009 at the new Raleigh Convention Center, 2 East South St., Raleigh, North Carolina 27601. The new convention center offers free wireless access in the lobby.

Conference registration will be available online beginning in December. The North Carolina conference flyer is available now at http://www.ngsgenealogy.org/conferences/2009.

The new Raleigh Marriott City Center, 501 Fayetteville Street, Raleigh, North Carolina 27601 (919) 833-1120 or http://cwp.marriott.com/rdumc/ngsconference is accepting reservations. The conference rate is $124 plus tax per night for a single or double room. The Conference Hotel is filling up fast so make your hotel reservations early.

A second conference hotel, just one block from the new convention center, is the Sheraton Raleigh Hotel, 421 South Salisbury Street, Raleigh, North Carolina 27601 (919) 834-9900, or www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/index.html. The Sheraton has recently been renovated, and the conference hotel rate is $120 plus tax per night, single or double room.

A third conference hotel is the Clarion Hotel State Capital, 320 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, North Carolina 27603, (919) 832-0501 or www.raleighclarion.com. It is an eight-block walk to the Raleigh Convention Center, but approximately four blocks from the North Carolina State Archives & Library. Rooms at the Clarion are $79 plus tax per night, single or double, and include high-speed internet access.

More information about the 2009 NGS Family History Conference program will be forthcoming in future issues of UpFront. You can find details along with the conference flyer any time at http://www.ngsgenealogy.org/conferences/2009.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- Librarians' Day Pre-conference Event in Raleigh NC

Librarians' Day is scheduled for Tuesday, 12 June 2009 in Raleigh, North Carolina. All librarians who work with genealogical and family history patrons are welcome. There is no charge, but participants much register by mail or online since space is limited. Registration will open in January 2009. Librarians' Day is made possible through the sponsorship of ProQuest.

Speakers will include Susan D. Kaufman, manager of Clayton Library Center for Genealogical Research, Houston, Texas, on the collection development; Pam Cooper, past winner of the Filby Prize for genealogical librarianship, on working with volunteers; and Jason Toberlin, Special Projects Librarian, North Carolina Collection, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, on the digital resources of the North Carolina Collection and the process of creating digital collections.

Librarians who participate in Librarians' Day are also encouraged to stay in Raleigh and register for the NGS 2009 Family History Conference, which begins the following day.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- Research in the States Series Available

The following states are available from the National Genealogical Society, Research in the States Series at the NGS website, http://www.ngsgenealogy.org

* Genealogical Research in Arkansas by Lynda Childers Suffridge, 2008
* Genealogical Research in Illinois by Diane Renner Walsh, 2007
* Genealogical Research in Maryland by Patricia O'Brien, 2007
* Genealogical Research in Michigan by Shirley M. DeBoer, 2008
* Genealogical Research in Missouri by Pamela Boyer Porter and Ann Carter Fleming, 2007
* Genealogical Research in Nebraska by Roberta "Bobbi" King, 2008
* Genealogical Research in North Carolina by Jeffrey L. Haines, 2008,
* Genealogical Research in Ohio by Diane Vanskiver Gagel, 2008
* Genealogical Research in Oregon by Connie Miller Lenzen, 2007
* Genealogical Research in Pennsylvania by Kay Haviland Freilich, 2007
* Genealogical Research in Virginia by Eric G. Grundset, 2007
* Genealogical Research in West Virginia by Barbara Vine Little, 2007

Each publication is 8 1/2 inches by 11 inches, slightly larger than our previous Research in the States publications. The average length is 42 pages, but it varies by state.

Each book can be purchased as a PDF file, an "e-book" that you can download from the NGS website and then either read on your computer or print. Prices are $8 for NGS members and $10 for non-members. The direct link to the download and purchase page is https://www.ngsgenealogy.org/bookstore/ListItems.cfm?CATID=32. A limited number of print copies is also available from the NGS bookstore.

Each publication includes a section on archives, libraries, societies, and other research facilities in the respective state, as well as a discussion of the major family history resources available, such as maps, cemetery records, census, city directories, newspapers, military records, tax records and vital records. In addition, for each state you will find a discussion of which records are available at the local, county, and state level.

NGS plans to add a few new states each year, so check the NGS website periodically for new releases http://www.ngsgenealogy.org.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- 2010 NGS Family History Conference Planned for Salt Lake City

Plans are underway for the 2010 NGS Family History Conference to be held in Salt Lake City on 28 April-1 May 2010. Please note the conference will be held earlier than usual in 2010, so save the date.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- Genealogy Lectures Available on CD ROM

If you were unable to attend the NGS conference in Kansas City from 14-17 May 2008, you will be happy to know that more than 120 lectures were recorded and can be purchased on CD-ROM for $12 each plus shipping. Lectures are available via a link, "Lectures from NGS Conference in Kansas City available for purchase on CD-ROM," on the NGS website at http://ngsgenealogy.org. by scrolling down the home page to "2008 NGS CONFERENCE." This is an opportunity to hear genealogical experts discuss topics that will help you in your family research. Listed on the website is each speaker by last name, as well as the lecture track and title of each talk.

Optionally, you may access the JAMB-Inc. website directly at www.jamb-inc.com. Also included on the website are more than 100 lectures from the 2007 NGS Family History Conference held in Richmond, Virginia. The tracks and topics vary for each conference.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

Other News

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

-- VaGenSoc & TidewaterGenSoc Fall Conference - Newport News VA

On Saturday, November 1, 2008, at 8:45 a.m. the Virginia Genealogical Society, in cooperation with the Tidewater Genealogical Society, will present its Fall Conference at David Student Union on the campus of Christopher Newport University in Newport News, Virginia.

The conference features lectures on seventeenth-century immigration, settlement, and migration patterns in the Hampton Roads area counties; free African Americans in Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina; Virginia's land records; and genealogical materials at the Mariners' Museum, presented by four well-known speakers: Donald W. Moore, CG; Paul Heinegg; Carolyn Goudie; and Jeanne Eubanks.

Vendors of books, software, forms, and other items of interest to researchers will be available all day.

The registration fee ranges are $45/$55 for members/non-members and includes a deli lunch. After 17 October 2008 please add $5.

A campus map is at http://about.cnu.edu/visitingCampus/campusMap.cfm. The David Student Union is building (10). Additional details can be found at http://www.vgs.org.

Speakers:
Donald W. Moore, CG, is a board certified professional genealogist with interests in colonial Virginia research. He is a native of Princess Anne County (Virginia Beach), a twelfth-generation descendant of Lower Norfolk County ancestors, member of the Association of Professional Genealogists, past president of the Virginia Beach Genealogical Society, vice president of the Virginia Genealogical Society, and editor of its newsletter.

Paul Heinegg is the author of Free African Americans of North Carolina, Virginia, and South Carolina from the Colonial Period to About 1820, winner of the American Society of Genealogists' prestigious Donald Lines Jacobus Award for the best work of genealogical scholarship published between 1991 and 1994. Mr. Heinegg's findings are the outgrowth of 20 years of research in some 1,000 manuscript volumes.

Carolyn Goudie is a frequent lecturer on topics such as Virginia land records and historic property, beginning genealogical research, African American topics, and the collections of the Library of Virginia. A former research archivist at the Library of Virginia, she currently is the librarian at Nottoway Correctional Center. She is also on the Board of Governors of the Virginia Genealogical Society.

Jeanne Eubanks is currently employed by the Mariners' Museum Library located in Newport News, Virginia. She also teaches “University Library Research Skills” as an Adjunct Instructor for the University of Central Missouri and is co-author of the textbook used for the course. Ms. Eubanks received her Master's in Library Science and Information Services from the University of Central Missouri in 2006. (Note - the Mariners' Museum Library is currently being relocated to the Trible Library at Christopher Newport University.)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- APG Recognizes Genealogists with Achievement Awards

Jake Gehring, president of the Association of Professional Genealogists (APG), presented this year’s awards on September 5, 2008 at the association luncheon at the Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS) Conference in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. APG awards are given annually to recognize excellence and achievement within the field of genealogy.

One of its highest awards was given to Craig Roberts Scott, CG. Scott received the Grahame T. Smallwood, Jr. Award of Merit for his service to APG as Treasurer and as a
board member from 2002-2007. He also served by leading the APG roundtable discussions for several years, and was the first vendor to offer discounts to APG members. The Smallwood Award is given for personal commitment and outstanding service as a member of APG

Scott, President and CEO of Heritage Books, Inc., is also a professional genealogical and historical researcher with more than 23 years of experience. He has authored and co-authored several books as well as many articles for the National Genealogical Society Quarterly and Family Chronicle.

Roberta “Bobbi” King received the APGQ Excellence Award for her exceptional column “Professional Profiles” published in the APG Quarterly over the past several years. She currently serves on the board of directors of FGS, authored Researching in Nebraska for the National Genealogical Society Research in the States series, and has volunteered in the local Colorado genealogical community for the past ten years.

Certificates of Appreciation were awarded to:

· Donna Moughty, for her work as the APG Professional Management Conference Coordinator. Moughty, from Florida, teaches classes and lectures on a variety of subjects including the Internet, Irish research, and computer topics. She is also Treasurer of the Genealogical Speakers Guild and a delegate to the Federation of Genealogical Societies.

· Beverly Rice, CG, for her work as APG Treasurer, Roundtable Coordinator, and the IRS FEIN project. Rice, based in Oregon, is a lecturer and speaker on topics related to methodology, migration, women, and the western experience.

· Linda Courtemanche, for her work as Chair of the Chapter Review Committee. Courtemanche, a researcher from Pennsylvania, was the Local Publicity Chairperson for the 2008 FGS Conference.

The Association of Professional Genealogists (http://www.apgen.org), established in 1979, represents over 1,800 genealogists, librarians, writers, editors, historians, instructors, booksellers, publishers, and others involved in genealogy-related businesses. APG encourages genealogical excellence, ethical practice, mentoring, and education. The organization also supports the preservation and accessibility of records useful to the fields of genealogy, local, and social history. Its members represent all fifty states, Canada, and twenty-six other countries.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- APG Honors Sandra Hargreaves Luebking

Members of the Association of Professional Genealogists gathered in Philadelphia on September 5th to honor a long-time member for her professional accomplishments.

The Association of Professional Genealogists (APG) named Sandra Hargreaves Luebking as the second recipient of the APG Professional Achievement Award. The award was presented during the association luncheon at the Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS) Conference in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

The award was created in 2007 to recognize significant contributions to the field of genealogy by APG members. APG created the Professional Achievement Award to highlight a record of exceptional professional achievement through individual excellence and ethical behavior.

Luebking, a nationally-known author, editor, instructor, lecturer and researcher, has been recognized for her excellent example of genealogical professionalism and numerous contributions to the field through writing, lecturing, and service.

Luebking’s contributions to the genealogical community have been vast. In nearly three decades as a professional genealogist, Sandra has presented over one thousand lectures, appeared on television and radio programs, and been featured on educational videos.

For 23 years, she has edited FORUM, the national magazine published by the Federation of Genealogical Societies. With Loretto Dennis Szucs, she co-edited three award-winning books, including two editions of The Source: A Guidebook to American Genealogy; and The Archives: A Guide to the National Archives Field Branches. Leubking also wrote two chapters for Professional Genealogy (Elizabeth Shown Mills, editor) titled “Classroom Teaching” and “Setting Realistic Fees.”

Since 1979, Luebking has taught at Samford University's Institute of Genealogy and Historical Research (IGHR) and has twice accompanied their British Research tour. She is a Fellow of the Utah Genealogical Association (1996) and was named Outstanding IGHR Alumni by Samford University in 1995.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- APG Honors Gary Mokotoff with Honorary Life Membership

WESTMINSTER, Colo., September 9 – Members of the Association of Professional Genealogists gathered in Philadelphia on September 5th to honor a long-time member for his professional accomplishments.

The Association of Professional Genealogists (APG) named Gary Mokotoff as the second recipient of the APG Honorary Lifetime Membership Award. The award was created in 2007 to recognize significant contributions to the field of genealogy by APG members. It recognizes members whose achievement in genealogy has spanned a significant length of time. The award was presented during the association luncheon at the Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS) Conference in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Mokotoff, an author, lecturer, and leader of Jewish genealogy, has been recognized for creating an excellent body of work in the field of Jewish genealogy.

He is the author of a number of books including the award-winning Where Once We Walked, a gazetteer that provides information about 23,500 towns in Central and Eastern Europe where Jews lived before the Holocaust, How to Document Victims and Locate Survivors of the Holocaust, and Getting Started in Jewish Genealogy. He co-edited the Avotaynu Guide to Jewish Genealogy. For its publishing efforts in Jewish genealogy, his company, Avotaynu, received the “Body of Work Award” from the Association of Jewish Libraries (2004).

Mokotoff has been recognized by three major organizations for his accomplishments in genealogy. Mokotoff is also known for his application of computers to genealogy. His best known accomplishment is co-authorship of the Daitch-Mokotoff Soundex System.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- APG Presents First Young Professional Scholarship

The Association of Professional Genealogists (APG) presented the first Young Professional Scholarship award to Michael Melendez of Fullerton, California. The award was presented during the APG Professional Management Conference (PMC) during the Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS) Conference in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Melendez, a senior at Troy Hill High School in Fullerton, already has a long resume of genealogical achievements. He performed a 150 hour internship at the Orange Regional Family History Center in California. He completed the Staff Training Program and is currently a staff member at the center.

He is also a member of the Federation of Genealogical Societies’ Youth Committee as well as the Future Genealogists Society. As part of his Eagle Scout project, Melendez put on a Beginners Family History Jamboree.

APG created the award as a scholarship opportunity for a young genealogist to attend its annual Professional Management Conference. The scholarship included conference registration and a $500 award toward travel and accommodations. The PMC is held in conjunction with the Federation of Genealogical Societies annual conference.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- Pharos and the International Society for British Genealogy
and Family History Announce New Online Courses

The following joint press release was published on 6 September 2008.

The International Society for British Genealogy and Family History (ISBGFH) and Pharos Teaching and Tutoring, a British company, have teamed up to offer quality online courses to those researching their roots in the British Isles.

ISBGFH has presented the British Institute in Salt Lake City since 2001 and wants to expand its educational opportunities to those who cannot travel to the classroom sessions each year, a factor that is increasingly important as fuel costs rise. Pharos has extensive experience with distance learning and offers a selection of programs in British and Irish research. One of the Pharos instructors, Sherry Irvine, taught for five years at the British Institute.

Under the new arrangement, courses are open to everyone, whether or not they are members of ISBGFH. Currently, three courses are available: US Immigration and Naturalization, taught by George G. Morgan; England, Scotland and Wales Online: Transfer Your Skills taught by Sherry Irvine; and, British Isles Research – Solving Problems, Planning Strategies taught by Sherry Irvine. These courses will be offered successively between October and next September.

Details on the contents of each course, length, cost, and how online learning works can be found on the website of each organization.

Pharos www.pharostutors.com
ISBGFH www.isbgfh.org

Gordon Gray, President of ISBGFH, said: “We are excited about our new partnership with Pharos and offering high quality online courses to people researching their ancestors in the British Isles. It creates the opportunity for people to take courses on their own schedule, at a reasonable cost, in small groups and with the guidance of well-known instructors.”

Sherry Irvine, Course Director for Pharos, said: “This is a good fit. It was stimulating and rewarding to teach at the British Institute and I now look forward to continuing educational efforts with ISBGFH. Online courses are the best way for genealogists to expand their research skills and records knowledge, not only because of flexibility but because the Web helps research in so many ways – history, geography, catalogues, records guidance as well as data.”

A complete listing of courses offered by Pharos can be found at
Additional information can also be obtained from ISBGFH via email to

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- GenSoftReviews Site Launched

A recent press release announced the creation of a new website that
allows users of genealogy software to rate and review the programs they've
used or tried. This will allow others who are looking for programs to better
compare and select software that will help them. The GenSoftReviews website is starting with 355 programs that are useful for genealogy. These include full-featured, GEDCOM utilities, website builders, and other programs that run on any of the major systems -- Windows, Mac, Unix, handheld and online.

The site is free to use and does not require registration, according to its creator, Louis Kessler. To contribute your views about one of the programs, you enter a rating of whether you enjoy using it, if
you use it often, if it has easy input, useful output, and an overall rating. Then you can write a short review and list the program's biggest pro and biggest con.

According to Mr. Kessler's bio, he has been a genealogist and programmer for over 30 years. He
has published newspaper articles on genealogy, given presentations on genealogy, and is Past President of a regional Heritage Center. He is also the developer of the genealogy program known as Behold, which can be found at www.beholdgenealogy.com.

You can find this software review website at: www.gensoftreviews.com.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

Events Around the U.S.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

October 2008

Montgomery AL - Fall Seminar: Using Maps in Genealogical Research presented by Richard G. ‘Rick’ Sayre. Seminar is 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Archives Building, 624 Washington Ave., Montgomery. Rick Sayre is a veteran researcher, lecturer and author. His areas of research include urban research methodology, mapping for genealogists, military records, immigration, and the regions of the Ohio River Valley and Western Pennsylvania. Rick is a member of the National Genealogical Society, the Association of Professional Genealogists, and a variety of other genealogical societies.

Denver/Aurora, CO - The Swedish Genealogical Society of Colorado invites you to attend the SWEDISH FAMILY RESEARCH FAIR Saturday, October 4th, 2008 from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm at Community College of Aurora CenterTech Campus Fine Arts Building, featuring Private Research Assistance Sessions, Exhibit Hall, and Genealogy Presentations. Presenters are Kathy Meade: Trace Your Swedish Heritage Online using Genline New Features in Genline's FamilyFinder; Jay Devaughn Director of Library Services Community College of Aurora: Genline Using Online Catalogs and Online Websites To Access International Genealogical Resources; Kjell S. Andersson SGSC Member: Finding Your Swedish Roots Using Genline: A step-by-step presentation of real case studies; Lenora Lynam, McPherson County Old Mill Museum Lindsborg, Kansas: Swedish Military Research. Conference fee is $30. If you wish to order a lunch, there is an additional $12 charge. For more details, visit the Swedish Genealogical Society of Colorado's website at http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cosgs/ or email Kate Johnson for an event brochure including a registration form and a personal research assistance request form at .

Nashville TN - Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society presents four Advanced Genealogy Classes: "Adventuring Into Advanced Genealogy" with instructor Virginia Gooch Watson, past president of the Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society. Classes will be on Mondays, Oct. 6, 13, 20, and 27, from 1:00pm to 2:30pm at the FiftyForward Knowles Center, 174 Rains Ave., Nashville. Admission is free to FiftyForward Center Members and $20 for non-members for the 4-class series.

6-10 October 2008
Salt Lake City UT - The 8th Annual British Institute - Offering Irish Research, British Record Research, Scottish Basic Research, and Using Family Search in British Isles Research in Salt Lake City, October 6-10, 2008, sponsored by the International Society for British Genealogy & Family History (ISBGFH). The Institute will be held at the Crystal Inn, 230 West 500 South. Four courses will be taught by leading authorities: David Rencher,CG,AG,FUGA; David McDonald,CG; Barbara Baker,AG; and Diane Loosle, AG, CG. The week-long courses are: Rencher – Finding the Place of Origin for Your Irish Immigrant; McDonald – Ecclesiastical Records in British Research; Baker – Scottish Research Basics; Loosle – Using Family Search to Find Your British Ancestors. The five-day tuition for the courses taught by Rencher, McDonald, and Baker is $335 (members), $320 (alumni of the Institute) and $360 (non-members). The tuition includes individual consultations with instructors and on-site assistance in the Family History Library. All tuitions include the banquet to be held on Monday evening, October 6. The Family Search course will be offered on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings at the Family History Library at no charge to Institute registrants. For registration and course description details, visit the website at www.isbgfh.org; or write to ISBGFH, P.O. Box 350459, Westminster, CO 80035-0459.

10-11 October 2008
Chicago IL - The Afro-American Genealogical and Historical Society of Chicago is presenting its 26th annual conference at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, 5200 S. University Avenue, Chicago. Events will begin Friday afternoon and resume Saturday morning. The keynote speaker will be Dr. Deborah Abbott from Cleveland, Ohio, who will also provide two first-rate workshops on Saturday. She will be complemented by another nationally-acclaimed speaker, Reginald Washington, from the National Archives in Washington, D.C. Conference program ads are still available. Further information on the event or purchasing ads can be found on the website: www.aaghsc.org.

Seaside CA - Heritage Harvest Genealogical Conference will be presented by Monterey County Genealogical Society and the Monterey Family History Center, in Seaside from 8:30 to 4:30. Geoff Rasmussen will be the keynote speaker: "Timelines and Chronologies, Secrets of Genealogical Success," with four additional sessions during the day. Concurrent sessions by local speakers will present topics such as websites, federal records, newspaper research, Danish research, Hispanic research, immigration, writing histories, photo touch-up and restoration, hands-on PAF and Legacy training, and more. Registration by 25 Sept. 2008 guarantees syllabus. Website: www.mocogenso.org. Contact for registration form: .

Pittsburgh, PA - Resources at the Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh. We are pleased to welcome Michael Dabrishus, Assistant University Librarian for Archives Special Collections, and Preservation from the Archives Service Center of the University of Pittsburgh, to give an orientation to collections held at the Archives. This event is from 10 AM – 12 Noon at the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh Lecture Hall, 4400 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 (Oakland area). This event is free and open to the public; reservations not required. For more information, visit www.wpgs.org or call 412-687-6811. Parking fee at Carnegie Library is $5.

Dodge City KS - Kansas Genealogical Society Annual Meeting and Conference, Dodge City, KS, Celebrating 50 Years. Featured speaker is Arlene H Eakle of Tremonton, UT. See www.dodgecitiy.net/kgs for further information.

Louisville KY - The Louisville Genealogical Society presents its annual Family History Seminar and Book Fair on Saturday, 11 Oct 2008. Featured speaker John Michael Neill will present four sessions, Researching the Entire Family, Using Records from the Family History Library When You Don't Know the Language, Determining Your Own Migration Trails and Migration Chains, and Effective Internet Search Techniques. Seven free classes will be offered: Adoption Search; Genealogy 101: The Basics, Part 1; Genealogy 101: The Basics, Part 2; Ancestors Dealing with Illness; Researching Deeds & Tax Lists; Am I Irish?; and Evaluating 3 Computerized Systems. Commercial Vendors will feature new and old books, maps & charts, etc. Local libraries, archives, and organizations will have representatives on hand. There will also be a Silent Auction of books and other materials, and an Ancestor Road Show. Box Lunches will be available with pre-registration only. $5 admission, $10 each for Neill's lectures, lunch $6.50-$7.75. Information and registration form at the website, www.rootsweb.com/~kylgs.

St. Louis MO - The St. Louis Genealogical Society is presenting a day-long workshop, entitled Finding Our German Ancestors, featuring Larry O. Jensen, noted author, lecturer, and researcher. The event will take place on Saturday, October 11, at the Viking Holiday Inn in St. Louis, Missouri, from 8:30 to 4:00. Lunch is included in the cost of registration. Please see our website, www.stlgs.org for complete details and an online registration form.

Elgin IL - The Illinois State Genealogical Society invites you to celebrate our 40th anniversary at the fall conference, 40 Years of Discovery—Portals to the Future, which will be held at the Fox Valley University and Business Center on the campus of Elgin Community College. There is easy access off Interstate 90 on the far west side of Elgin, IL. Featured speakers are D. Joshua Taylor, Research Services Coordinator at the New England Historic Genealogical Society; Beau Sharbrough, Vice President of Content for Footnote.com and founder of the FGS and GENTECH websites; and Loretto Szucs, Executive Editor and Vice President of Community Relations for Ancestry.com. Discover and evaluate new websites, online databases and free tools on the internet. Investigate Footnote, FamilySearch, and NSDAR collections. Jumpstart your research with new techniques, get organized using Word tools and explore easy procedures for scanning and restoring documents. Harness the Internet with a basic or intermediate hands-on computer session presented by Lori Bessler, Outreach Coordinator for the Wisconsin Historical Society Library. More info: www.rootsweb.com/~ilsgs/

Brookside OH - Palatines to America, Annual Fall Seminar is 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. at the Brookside Plaza Community Center. Guest Speakers: Carrie Eldridge, Donald Bowman, and Gale Honeyman. Topics: Water and the Pioneer, Early Migration Trails of America, A Brief History of the Brethren: Celebrating 300 years in America and Researching at the Brethren Heritage Center. Tour of the Brethren Museum follows the meeting with the opportunity to research their genealogy records. Your $35 registration fee includes a wonderful October Fest Buffet Lunch. For details, see http://www.oh-palam.org/

Houston TX - Colonial Virginia by Barbara Vines Little, CG, will be the topic of a seminar by the Houston Genealogical Forum from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at Bayland Community Center, 6400 Bissonnet, Houston. Her lectures will be: Records and Repositories; Colonial Land Patents; and Colonial Wars and Militia Service. Lunch will be available onsite. For details, visit www.hgftx.org or email .

Ventura CA - The Ventura County Genealogical Society Annual Seminar will be on Saturday, 18 October 2008 from 8AM to 4PM at the LDS Family History Center, 3501 Loma Vista Road (at Mills Rd.) in Ventura, CA. Guest speaker Henry “Hank” Jones will present the following subjects:
- When the Sources are Wrong!
- Tracing the Origins of Early 18th Century Palatine and Other Emigrants
- Family Tradition: How to Separate Fact from Fantasy in Genealogical Research
- Genealogy in the New Millennium: Where We’ve Been and Where We’re Going.
Seminar features will include handouts, a syllabus, exhibits, new and used genealogy books for sale, 2 refreshment breaks, and lunch. Registration fees are $35.00 for VCGS members and $40.00 for non-members. All fees include lunch and seminar materials. For more information, visit www.rootsweb.com/~cavegs or call Gwenda Tucker at (805) 485-7930 or e-mail .

Mesa AZ - Family History Society of Arizona’s annual fall seminar will be at St. Matthew United Methodist Church, 2540 W. Baseline Road, Mesa. In honor of the society’s 25th anniversary, the In Search of Annie Moore video will be the first part of a two-part program. Annie Moore was the first passenger registered as coming though Ellis Island, and the video traces her life after coming to America. The second part will feature Arizona’s historian, Marshall Trimble. Registration begins at 8AM and the event concludes at 2PM with lunch included. Member registration fee is $35 until Oct. 11. Non-member charge is $40. For information, contact President Susi Fathauer at or call 480.893.6689.

Chula Vista CA - FREE All-day seminar (10 a.m. to 4 p.m.) "Discover Your Family History" with Jean Wilcox Hibben at the Chula Vista Civic Center Branch Library Auditorium (365 F Street, Chula Vista). Jean will make three presentations: "Clue to Clue: Tracking a Family over Time and Miles" - Piecing together the story of an ancestral family; "John Adam Hollaender: Survivor" - A Civil War soldier's story presented in first person by his wife, Caroline Marie Trapschuh; "Bringing your Civil War Ancestor Back to Life: Songs & Stories of the War of the Rebellion" - songs of the times in war and at home. There will be a light lunch (make-your-own sandwiches, veggies, fruit, cookies, water) - donations gratefully accepted. Reservations requested (for planning purposes) to Virginia (phone 619-425-7922, email ). Contact Randy Seaver (, 619-422-3397) for more information.

Pittsburgh, PA - North Hills Genealogists Fall Conference. In honor of October being Family History Month, the North Hills Genealogists [of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania] is hosting an all-day conference on Saturday, 25 October 2008. A great program features speakers Pamela Boyer Sayre, CG, CGL, of Springfield, Virginia and J. Mark Lowe, CG, FUGA, of Springfield, Tennessee. In addition to formal lectures, the conference will give attendees a unique opportunity to interact with these knowledgeable and personable speakers in small group discussions. This will provide a forum for attendees to get their questions answered and to get ideas for further research. The conference will be held at Christ Episcopal Church, 5910 Babcock Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15237 where parking is free. A continental breakfast and hot lunch are included in the modest price with early bird discounts until September 16. All are invited! More information may be found at http://www.northhillsgenealogists.org/.

November 2008

Bowie MD – The Maryland Genealogical Society presents its Fall Seminar, "DNA and Family History – Exploring the "Gene" in Genealogy." The seminar will be held at the Comfort Inn Hotel and Conference Center in Bowie, Maryland, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Speakers include: Thomas Shawker ("DNA Testing: The Very, Very Basics"); Donn Devine ("What DNA Can Show: Case Studies of Some Practical Applications to Genealogy"); Robert McLaren ("Managing a Large Surname DNA Project and Some Interesting Results"); and Alastair Greenshields ("Maximizing your Surname Project's Utility Online"). The cost for pre-registrants (which includes lunch) is $50.00 for MGS members and $55.00 for non-members. The deadline for pre-registration is 20 October. Walk-in registrants will be accepted at an additional $5.00 cost. A registration form and further details are available at www.mdgensoc.org.

Prescott, AZ - Northern Arizona Genealogical Society’s annual seminar will feature Geoffrey Rasmussen, Regional Marketing Director for Millennia Corporation; he was also instrumental in creation of the Legacy Family Tree 7.0 software program. The seminar will be held at the Founders’ Room, Prescott Public Library, 215 E. Goodwin Street, Prescott. The seminar will be based on the Legacy Family Tree 7.0 genealogy software program for people to record and track their family history, but may include other genealogical topics not related to Legacy. Additional information will be forthcoming. Contact person is Marilyn Day, .

The Virginia Genealogical Society in cooperation with the Tidewater Genealogical Society will present its Fall Conference at David Student Union on the campus of Christopher Newport University in Newport News, Virginia, on Saturday, November 1, 2008, at 8:45 a.m. . The conference features lectures on 17th century immigration, settlement, and migration patterns in the Hampton Roads area counties; Free African Americans in Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina; Virginia's land records; and Genealogical Materials at the Mariners' Museum, presented by four well-known speakers: Donald W. Moore, CG; Paul Heinegg; Carolyn Goudie; and Jeanne Eubanks. Vendors of books, software, forms, and other items of interest to researchers will be available all day. The registration fee ranges are $45/$55 for members/non-members and includes a deli lunch. After 17 October 2008 please add $5. See speaker details under "Other News" in this newsletter. A campus map is at http://about.cnu.edu/visitingCampus/campusMap.cfm the David Student Union is building (10). Additional details can be found at http://www.vgs.org.

Tucson AZ - Arizona Genealogical Advisory Board hosts a special event featuring John Philip Colletta from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m. at the Embassy Suites Williams Center, Saguaro and Kachina Rooms 5335 E. Broadway Boulevard, Tucson. Topic: How to Assemble and Write a Genealogical Work that is both a Reliable Document and a Readable Story. Colletta presentation is $15.00, dinner with Colletta an additional $10.00. Please visit our website at azgab.org for additional information.

Tucson AZ - Arizona State Genealogical Society Seminar featuring John Philip Colletta is 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. (Lunch included—not guaranteed after 1 November) at Christ Church United Methodist, Fellowship Hall 655 N. Craycroft, Tucson. Topics: How to Prepare for Successful Research in European Records; Lesser-Used Federal Records: A Sampling for Fresh Research Ideas Using Original and Derivative Sources: How to Evaluate Evidence; Hacks and Hookers; and Putting Up Pickles: Snares of Yesteryear’s English. Seminar cost is $45.00 and includes dinner, discounted cost for members, lunch not guaranteed after 1 November. Please visit our website at AzSGS.com or email Amy Urman @ for additional information.

San Antonio TX - The San Antonio Genealogical & Historical Society presents its 49th Annual Fall Seminar on Saturday, November 8, 2008 from 9am-4pm at the John Calvin Presbyterian Church, 8102 Midcrown, San Antonio. The all-day event will feature talented and popular writer and lecturer Dick Eastman, creator of Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter. Dick's topics will be "The Latest Technology for Genealogists," "Genealogy Searches on Google: Extracting the Most Information Possible," "The Internet: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly," and "Photographing Old or Delicate Documents and Photographs." For more information and registration form, please visit www.rootsweb.com/~txsaghs2 or call Program Chairman, Rushelle Mason at the SAG&HS Library, 210/342-5242 or email .

14-15 November 2008
Raleigh NC - "This Land Was Their Land" sponsored by the North Carolina Genealogical Society will be presented at the Brier Creek Country Club, Raleigh. Rick Sayre, CG, Monica Hopkins, Larry Cates, and A. Bruce Pruitt will present the following topics: Topographic and Other Maps for Genealogists, Maps of the Southeast United States, Google Earth for Genealogists (Sayer);Understanding Land Records, Understanding Deeds (Hopkins); Land Grants in North Carolina 1663-1960 (Pruitt); The Law of the Land (Cates). Land research is essential for locating and sorting people in large families and with common surnames. These workshops provide tools for this and much, much more. For information and reservations, see www.ncgenealogy.org or email

14-15 November 2008
Mesa AZ - Cyberexchange 101: Learn the tech to trace your roots conference -- Mesa, Arizona Family History Expo 2008 at the Mesa Convention Center, 263 N. Center Street, Mesa. Doors open at 7AM on Friday and 8AM on Saturday. Early bird cost is only $65.00 for both days. Regular pre-registration cost for both days is $75.00.
At the door cost will be $90.00. Over 100 sessions will be for beginners through advanced researchers. Exhibit Hall will be available to attendees. Website: www.myancestorsfound.com/events/upcoming.php?event_id=43

January 2009

10-18 January 2009
IRISH GENEALOGY CONFERENCE on board the Independence of the Seas, Royal Caribbean International, Eastern Caribbean Cruise. Genealogy conferences held on cruise ships have become very popular. The price is comparable to attending a national conference, and you get a fabulous vacation at the same time! On this cruise you will learn about Irish research, have a fun vacation, and make new friends. We know that the most valuable part of the trip will be the opportunity to meet others with similar interests, share successes, and commiserate about brick walls. You are not alone. Speakers include: Valerie Adams, Public Record Office of Northern Ireland; Mary Ellen Grogan, TIARA, Boston; George B. Handran, Boston (Griffith's Valuation specialist); Michael J. Leclerc, New England Historic Genealogical Society; and Gregory O'Connor, National Archives of Ireland. COST: Pricing begins at $900 per person for the cruise and $75 for the conference. For detailed information on the cruise, go to the TIARA (The Irish Ancestral Research Association) website at http://www.tiara.ie. Any questions? Contact Mary Ellen Grogan at .

12-16 January 2009
The Utah Genealogical Association’s 2009 Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy will be held at the Radisson Hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah. The Institute offers a week of in-depth instruction by expert genealogists in ten courses:

Course 1: American Records & Research: Focusing on Localities
Course 2: Research of the Gulf South—Georgia, Florida, Alabama,
Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Texas
Course 3: English Research
Course 4: Research in German Speaking Areas
Course 5: Colonial American Research
Course 6: Effective Use of the Internet
Course 7: Hispanic Research: Discovering Your Ancestors in Spain and Latin America
Course 8: Beyond the Library: Research in Archives, Courthouses and Manuscript Collections
Course 9: (Course full) Skill Building for Professional-Level Research
Course 10: Genealogical Problem Solving

For more information or to enroll online, please go to www.infouga.org.

February 2009
Secaucus NJ - The Hudson County Genealogical Society meeting features Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak speaking on Trace Your Roots with DNA. The meeting starts promptly at 11:00 am at the Secaucus Public Library. See www.secaucus.bccls.org for directions. For more information, check out www.hudsoncountynjgenealogy.org, or email .

March 2009

Virginia Beach Genealogical Society's 2009 Annual Conference, “Tell Me About It,” features well-recognized author, teacher, publisher, and wit, John Philip Colletta, Ph.D. Dr. Coletta will give four presentations to fine-tune your genealogical research and writing in his unique, energetic, and entertaining style on Saturday, 28 March 2009, 8:30 AM - 5 PM, at Central Library, Virginia Beach VA. Hie topics are Lesser-Used Federal Records; Libraries, Archives & Public Records Offices: Understanding Resource Repositories; Effective Interviewing; and Turning Biographical Facts into Real-Life Events: How to Build Historical Context. You'll also find exhibitors, vendors, door prizes, free DNA kits, magazines, goodies, and much more. Registration form required plus $35 members/$40 for nonmembers. Add $5 for payment received after March 16, 2009. For registration form and details, please call J. B. Wright 757.495.0672, email , or visit www.rootsweb.com/~vavbgs.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

To add your event to this calendar, please send an announcement to .

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

Family Reunions

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

3-5 October 2008
DILLION ASHER & HENDRICKSON - Come join in the fellowship and fun of the 28th Annual Dillion ASHER Reunion and the Hendrickson Reunion. Friday, October 3 will be at Pine Mountain State Resort Park Lodge, Pineville KY with a 5:00 pm dinner (buffet or order from menu), followed by 6:30 Business Meeting. Saturday, October 4 will be an all-day "pot luck" picnic starting 11:00 am at the Cardinal Inn (Next to Dillion Asher's Homestead) in Queendale, KY. Please bring covered dish. Entertainment will be the "Asher Jammers" (professionally known as "Mixt Company") featuring Virginia "Monkey" Halcomb Blood and ensemble. At 5:00 pm, come to the Pine Mountain State Park Lodge (Laurel/Azalea Rooms) for a genealogy exchange. On Sunday, October 5, join us at the Little Creek Cemetery, Red Bird (Beverly), KY at 11:00 am for a memorial service, Honoring Deceased Descendants, presided by Rev. Ted Collett and featuring: "Soldiers of the Cross" (Larry & Debbie Green, Adrian and Wes Mason). At 2:00 pm, come to the First Presbyterian Church, USA, Fellowship Hall, Kentucky Avenue, Pineville, KY for the HENDRICKSON Reunion. Updated 2008 editions of all Asher, Collett and Hendrickson genealogy books will be available at all events.

Toll free numbers for accommodations: Pine Mountain State Park in Pineville at 800-325-1712; Best Western, Barbourville at 800-528-1234; Holiday Inn Express in Middlesboro at 800-HOLIDAY. Please send your e-mail address to < to save postage. For additional information please contact Janene Carole Simpson at: <> or (606-337-5062).

16-19 October 2008
LEE - The annual reunion of The HENRY LEE Society will be held in the historic district of Pensacola, Florida, at the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown. Among events planned is a tour of the National Naval Aviation Museum. A trolley tour of the historic district is also scheduled. Any Lees not on the newsletter mailing list who want to be kept informed should contact Rovena Lee at .

17-18 October 2008
BOBO - The 2008 Bobo Family Reunion will be 17 and 18 October 2008 in Shelbyville, Tennessee, and will open with a family dinner (lunch) at Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House in nearby Lynchburg and close on Saturday, 18 Oct., with a combined reunion dinner with Bobos from the Middle Tennessee area. For full details, contact Charles H. (Chuck) Bobo, Bobo Family Assn. Coordinator, either by email at or write to him at 3101 Thurman Rd., No. H-22 Huntsville, AL 35805. Interactive website: http://www.Bobo-Family-News.info. The new Bobo Family CD is ready with more than 20,000 individuals. Contact Chuck for details.

BUSCH - MOEHRIG Family Reunion at the Conservation Plaza, New Braunfels, TX Sunday, April 27th Registration 11:30 Lunch 12:30 Business Meeting to follow. Lunch plates $10.00 For more info contact Vickie Moehrig

5-7 June 2009
QUARLES - The QUARLES Family 200 Years Celebration/Reunion will be in Cookeville/Algood, Tennessee on 5, 6, and 7 June 2009. You are invited to a reunion of the descendants of Lt. WILLIAM PENNINGTON QUARLES, RWA, of Virginia who settled at White Plains, Tennessee, in 1809, present-day Putnam County. Associated families: Burton, Hawes, Hughes, Little, Huntsman, Hyder, Simpson, Lampton and Snodgrass. Please visit our website often for new information at http://wpquarles2009.info. Questions? Contact Eunetta Finley Jenkins at or at 931-526-9072 or 931-260-7651 or at 33 Ferguson Avenue, Cookeville, TN 38501

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

To add your family reunion to this calendar, please send an announcement to

Planning your own family reunion? Read the popular book in the NGS Guide Series by Sandra McLean Clunies, CG: "A Family Affair" https://www.ngsgenealogy.org/BookStore/ShowProduct.cfm?PRODID=402

Family reunion planners can find lots of reunion planning info and can request a free copy of Reunions magazine at www.reunionsmag.com.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

About UpFront

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

- Previous Issues of UpFront with NGS

Did you miss an issue of UpFront with NGS? Previous issues are archived online.

Browse: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/index/NGS
Search: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/search?aop?list=NGS

For technical help regarding the list, including how to subscribe or unsubscribe, contact:
UpFront with NGS, List Administrator
Gayathri Kher

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

- Disclaimers and Copyright

The opinions, articles, and statements expressed herein are solely for the use of our readers. Neither the reviews nor the reports may be used in advertising or for any commercial purpose. NGS and the authors disclaim any liability, loss, or risk, personal or otherwise that is or may be incurred as a consequence, directly or indirectly, of the use and applications of any of the products, techniques, and technologies mentioned herein. NGS does not imply endorsement of any outside advertiser or other vendors appearing in this electronic newsletter.

Each issue of UpFront is under copyright of the National Genealogical Society. Permission is granted to share the news and events portions of UpFront provided you include the following statement:
"Originally published in UpFront with NGS, The Online Newsletter of the National Genealogical Society. http://www.NGSgenealogy.org/upfront.htm";

Permission for sharing other articles contained in UpFront requires approval. Contact and include the issue date and title of the article you wish to share or reprint elsewhere.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

- NGS Contact Information

National Genealogical Society
3108 Columbia Pike, Suite 300
Arlington, Virginia 22204-4304
Phone: (703) 525-0050 or (800) 473-0060
Fax: (703) 525-0052
E-mail:
http://www.NGSgenealogy.org

Membership
http://www.NGSgenealogy.org/member.htm

Conferences
http://www.NGSgenealogy.org/conf.cfm

Education and Publications
http://www.NGSgenealogy.org/edu.cfm

Learning Center
http://www.NGSgenealogy.org/edu.cfm

- About NGS

The National Genealogical Society is the indispensable resource for genealogists seeking excellence in publications, education offerings, research materials, and peer interaction with others that share the common bond of interest in the field of genealogy.

To learn more about the goals, publications, conferences, services, and member benefits of the National Genealogical Society, visit the NGS website: http://www.NGSgenealogy.org

c 2008 National Genealogical Society

This thread: