NGS-L Archives

Archiver > NGS > 2009-01 > 1230905713

From: "Upfront with NGS" <>
Subject: [NGS] UpFront with NGS - Volume 9, Number 9-1 January 2009
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 09:17:17 -0500

UpFront with NGS
The Online Newsletter of the National Genealogical Society
Volume 9, Number 9-1 January 2009

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Today in UpFront

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Articles

-- Genealogy News and Issues by Charles S. "Chuck" Mason Jr., CG
-- Pursuing Clues About Siblings by Jan Alpert, NGS President
-- Second Online Tutorial on Ancestry.com Search
-- Tips for Submitting Your Coming Events by Pam Cerutti, Editor

NGS News & Events

-- National Genealogical Society Adds New Course
-- Entry Deadline Approaching for NGS Competitions and Award Nominations
-- Raleigh Family History Conference Registration Brochure Now Available Online
-- Librarians' Day Pre-conference Event in Raleigh, NC
-- NGS Research Trip to Salt Lake City 25 January to 1 February 2009
-- Research in the States Series Available
-- 2010 NGS Family History Conference Planned for Salt Lake City
-- Genealogy Lectures Available on CD ROM

Other News

-- Ohio Genealogical Society Reaches $2.5-Million Funding for New Building
-- Ohio Genealogical Society Call for Papers
-- ISFHWE "Excellence in Writing" Competition

Events Around the United States

Family Reunions

About UpFront
- Previous Issues of UpFront with NGS
- How to Submit Items for Publication in UpFront with NGS
- How to Subscribe or Unsubscribe
- Disclaimers and Copyright
- NGS Contact Information
- About NGS

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Heredity

I am the family face;
Flesh perishes, I live on,
Projecting trait and trace
Through time to times anon,
And leaping from place to place
Over oblivion.

The years-heired feature that can
In curve and voice and eye
Despise the human span
Of durance--that is I;
The eternal thing in man,
That heeds no call to die.

- from Moments of Vision by Thomas Hardy, 1917

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

-- Genealogy News and Issues by Charles S. "Chuck" Mason Jr., CG

Recently a member of the two genealogical societies that I belong to here in Virginia passed away. Pat was a very thoughtful and generous person who shared her great knowledge of Virginia research with the members of the societies. Although I do not have Virginia ancestors, we shared a lot of ideas about research in general. I felt privileged to have known her and considered her a very close genealogical friend.

When she passed away, her daughter contacted their neighbor, who also happens to be another of my good friends. Her daughter was trying to find out about the genealogical organizations of which her mother was a member so that she could complete her obituary. The neighbor called me, and we were able to provide some information. However, we were not able to assist her with answers to all of her questions. She also asked for advice on what to do with all the genealogical books and information her mother had gathered.

This raised a couple of questions that I have seen before. Will your family be able to write an accurate obituary for you? The other question is what will happen to your genealogical books and research?

It is never too early to write an obituary. I am a part of a Methodology Special Interest Group that meets monthly to talk about genealogical research. In June 2007, we talked about obituaries, both using them for research and how to write our own and someone else’s. I had written my father’s obituary during the last couple of weeks before he died. He was in the hospital, and we had been talking about his funeral with one of his nurses. All the arrangements had been made, but his obituary had not been written. I agreed to write it, and several days later I showed it to him. What we discovered later that I left out was that he had been involved with the school band parents' organization and even served as its president one year.

The assignment for the group was to write an obituary over the summer. In September we shared the obituaries with the rest of the group. For one member of the group, the assignments made her talk with her mother, and she learned things about her mother she never knew. Another person wrote a miniseries for her obituary. The assignment got everyone thinking about learning more about their living family members.

Genealogists spend a considerable amount of time researching their ancestors. During that time they usually accumulate a lot of documents, research notes, and at least a few books on genealogy. This is true of the society member who passed away. Her daughter is now faced with what to do with all the things her mother accumulated. Pat had many books and many years of research.

The daughter did ask several of her mother’s genealogy friends for advice, and they offered some very helpful suggestions. However, the question remains: what would her mother have wanted done with her work? Where would she have wanted her books to go, especially the ones that are out of print and considered rare books?

How about you? Have you thought about writing your obituary or what will happen with your genealogical research or other materials? Have you written an obituary or at least put some details together, or will your family be struggling to do it when the time comes? Have you made arrangements to have your research placed in a library or archive, or will someone just throw it all away, thinking it is worthless junk?

I have at least put some details together for my obituary, but I have not thought about what will be done with my genealogical research or books. Perhaps this would be a good way to start the New Year.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- Pursuing Clues About Siblings by Jan Alpert, NGS President

You may remember the article I wrote in the October 2008 issue of UpFront about several Civil War pension files that I had obtained from the National Archives. At the end of the article, I mentioned that I had a research trip planned to the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, where I planned to pursue several of the leads in the pension files.

In the pension file of Stewart Neill, an affidavit from Frank S. Wilmot stated “that soon after I came here [Chillicothe], he and his brother were the first persons I became acquainted with.” Although his brother was not named, this new information encouraged me to look more closely at other Neills, Neals, and O’Neals residing in and around Peoria County, Illinois, where Stewart Neill resided. The file also told me Stewart Neill was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, and he was 33 years old when he enlisted, making his date of birth about 1827. From his age at the time of his death, his birth date was about 23 May 1828.

My next steps were to check the U.S. Census for Chillicothe, Peoria County, Illinois, where Stewart Neill lived from his enlistment in the Civil War until his death in 1885. Although Stewart Neill was listed in the 1860, 1870, and 1880 Censuses, I found no obvious connection to any other Neills, such as another Neill male living with his family or in a neighboring family. However, I found an Adam J. Neal, broom maker, living in Chillicothe in the 1860 Census. By 1870 Adam J. Neill was living in Peoria, Illinois, the largest city in the county, and Adam J. Neill was still living in Peoria in the 1880 U. S. Census. In 1900 he was listed as a widower, with his children living in his household. I did not find Adam in the 1910 Census, so I had narrowed the date in which to look for an obituary to between 1900 and 1910. A. J. Neill was not listed in the State of Illinois online death index because Peoria County is not yet included in the pre-1916 index. I also checked http://www.usgenweb.org to see if any Neill information was included in Schuyler County, Illinois.

Fortunately, I was able to do this additional online research before my trip to Salt Lake City. This way, I could maximize my time at the Family History Library when looking at microfilm and the many reference books in the collection. I was fortunate to find Becki Leucht’s book, Obituaries Abstracted from the Peoria Star, Journal and Transcript Newspapers, 1905-1906, (Peoria, Illinois: Peoria County Genealogical Society, 1995) which included the following obituary from the Peoria Herald Transcript on 7 January 1906:

Neill, A. J., aged 72 years, b. 24 Apr. 1833, Milestown, Ohio,
in Peoria by 1863; occup. Broom manufacturer, m. Catherine Hayward,
Rushville, 1855; d. St. Francis Hosp. Dec. 1905, services 803 Linn,
resid. of son Eugene, daug. Sadie.

As is often the case, I found this obituary on Saturday evening, the last day of my research trip. Doing further research, I have not been able to find Milestown, Ohio, although there is a town by that name in Maryland, and at one time there was a town by that name in the 22nd Ward of Philadelphia. I should also note, I have found Adam J. Neill’s wife called Mary in the 1880 Census, and Mary Hayward, in the 1850 U.S. Census, living in the Charles Neill household in Rushville, Schuyler County, Illinois. Charles Neill’s wife is Susanna (Hayward) Neill, and based upon their ages, she may be the older sister of Mary (Hayward) Neill, wife of Adam J. When Charles Neill died in 1864, he left Mary, wife of A. J. Neill, $200.

When I returned to the Neill research a few weeks later, I started looking at the other Neills living in Rushville, Schuyler County, Illinois. From the 1850 and 1860 U.S. Census, I put together the possible family of James Neill, which includes Margaret, Laura, James, Perry, Lucinda and Mary W. Although I have not been able to link the James Neill family to either Charles Neill or Adam J. Neill, I will note that in the various U. S. Censuses, I have found Charles Neill, Adam J. Neill, and Perry Neill all listed as broom makers.

I then checked for a Schuyler County, Illinois, county history on HeritageQuest. In the Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler, and Brown Counties, Illinois, containing biographical sketches of pioneers and leading citizens by John A. Logan (Chicago: Biographical Review Pub. Co., 1892), I found the following biographical information about George W. Campbell on page 519:

He married, January 20, 1853, Laura A. Neill, the daughter of James Neill.
She was born in Weatherfield Township, Trumbull County, Ohio. Her father
was a native of Tyrone, Ireland. His first wife was a native of the same county,
and he [sic?] and she died there. After her death he came to America, bringing
his only child with him and settled in Trumbull county, and bought timber land
and erected the log house in which Mrs. Campbell was born. Here he lived
until 1846, and then moved to Illinois, accompanied by his five children, and
settled in Rushville. Here he bought land and pursued the occupation of farming
until his death in 1864. The maiden name of his second wife was Mary Stewart,
daughter of Archibald Stewart, a native of Ireland and of Scotch ancestry. She
was a native of Ohio and died in Trumbull county about 1843.

The story in the county history has a few errors. The town where she was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, was Weathersfield. I don’t believe James Neill died in Ireland and then came to America. Based upon the above story, Charles Neill, who says in the Census that he was born in Ireland, could be the only child James Neill brought with him from Ireland. Although I have not yet proven the relationship, if Stewart Neill was a son of James Neill and Mary (Stewart) Neill, born in Trumbull County, Ohio, in 1828, his given name would be the maiden name of his mother.

When I received the pension file for Stewart Neill, I checked the U.S. Census for Trumbull County, Ohio, in 1830 and found no one listed under the surname Neill. However, I found a James Neal in Weathersfield and an Amos Neal in Bloomfield Township. James Neal had young children and a male under 5 years old in the household, who could be the right age for the Stewart Neill I am researching. Amos Neal had no males under the age of 10. With the biographical information on James Neill above, I checked the 1840 U.S. Census for Trumbull County, Ohio, and found three Neal households: Henry G., Milo, and James. Only James Neal had young males and females in the household which could fit the above story. There were no young males in either the family of Henry G. or Milo Neal in the appropriate age category for Stewart Neill born in 1828.

Lynda Suffridge, a friend and NGS Vice President, was back in Salt Lake City doing research at the Family History Library the week of 9 December 2008, and I asked her to look for a will for James Neill who died about 1865. She didn’t find a will or probate record for James, but she did find a will for Charles Neill, who died in 1864. The will listed his children, but made no mention of James Neill or Stewart Neill.

Lynda also found printed cemetery records in Burials in the Rushville Cemetery, Volume I, 1900-1925, which included the burial records of Susanna Neill and Laura A. Campbell mentioned above.

In summary, from a brief mention of a brother in the pension record, I have consulted U.S. Census records, the online Illinois death index, a printed obituary, a county history, probate records on film at the Family History Library, and a published cemetery record.

Although, I have not yet proven that the Stewart Neill I am researching belongs in this Neill family which moved to Schuyler County, Illinois, my research continues. I have written to Schuyler County to see what additional information I can find on the Neills. I have also forwarded a copy of the information I have accumulated on the Neill family of Schuyler County to the Schuyler County Historical Museum Restored Jail and Genealogical Center, to see if any of their members are researching the same family and to contribute what I have found to help other Neill researchers in the future. My next steps may include hiring a local family researcher who has access to the records in Schuyler County.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- Second Online Tutorial on Ancestry.com Search

Professional genealogist and nationally known lecturer and author Barbara Renick has created another tutorial video especially for UpFront with NGS readers, entitled "Searching at Ancestry: Part 2." Part 2 builds on Barbara's introduction to the new Ancestry.com search engine in Part 1. This tutorial uses a case study approach to locating members of a family on Ancestry.com. It steps through a sample search while Barbara explains the actions and analyzes the results for the viewer. She shows how to refine a search by layering a search with more details to home in on members of a desired family. If you subscribe to Ancestry.com, this tutorial is well worth twelve minutes of your time! You can find both Part 1 and Part 2 tutorials at:

http://www.zroots.com/tutorials1.htm

You can also find this tutorial from the www.zroots.com home page. Just click on Notes, click on NGS, and then click on Tutorials. Lastly, click on the link that says "Click here to see a short video on Searching at Ancestry.com Part 2."

We are very grateful to Barbara for creating these tutorials and encourage readers to take advantage of them.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- Tips for Submitting Your Coming Events by Pam Cerutti, Editor

We are always pleased to publish coming events of interest to our readers all over the country. We especially appreciate event details submitted as text. The ability to copy a submission into the UpFront Events section eliminates any possibility of introducing errors, including spelling, dates, and times. We don't receive a lot of event submissions as graphic images or locked PDF files; however, if those submissions are available as text, we would appreciate that copiable text version.

Please remember to include both city and state of your events, along with start and end times. Also be sure to include any information that will help readers decide to attend. The clearer your description, the fewer questions you will receive from interested readers ...and the more encouraging your message will be for potential attendees!

Other helpful format tips:

For dates, use the day-month-year format with no commas, as in 23 January 2009.
For times, use lowercase, as in 10:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Include any admission fee. If none, state that admission is free.
Include your website address if you have one.
Include the email address or phone number for a contact, if appropriate.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

NGS News & Events

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

-- National Genealogical Society Adds New Course

The National Genealogical Society, headquartered in Arlington, Virginia, announces a new educational course offering, Working with Deeds. This latest of NGS’s online courses teaches a researcher to recognize and understand various types of deeds and to analyze the information found in them. These skills help family historians sort out the mysteries of ancestral relationships and solve difficult brick-wall problems.

The NGS Special Topics Series courses, available as downloadable PDF files, are designed for those who want to complete a short course on a specific topic and put the resultant knowledge to work right away. The NGS Home Study Course, available on CD-ROM, is a comprehensive study course that takes longer to complete but provides an overall grounding in genealogical research.

NGS online courses offer the convenience of completing a genealogy study course at your own pace. They are reasonably priced, and a discount is offered to NGS members.

For more information or to register for an online course or the NGS Home Study Course, visit the NGS website at http://ngsgenealogy.org and click on Learning Center.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- Entry Deadline Approaching for NGS Competitions and Award Nominations

One of the highlights of the NGS Family History Conference each spring is the presentation of outstanding award winners from the genealogical community. Have you considered entering the competition for one of these prestigious awards? Do you know someone else you would like to nominate? Do you know a young genealogist whom you can encourage to enter the Rubincam Youth Award? Below is the list of awards for 2009.

-- NGS Newsletter Competition
-- Family History Writing Contest
-- Award for Excellence: Genealogy and Family History Book
-- Award for Excellence: Genealogical Methods and Sources
-- The Filby Prize for Genealogical Librarianship
-- NGS Home Study Course Scholarship Award
-- Rubincam Youth Award
-- National Genealogy Hall of Fame
-- Distinguished Service Award
-- Award of Honor
-- Award of Merit
-- NGS Fellow (FNGS)

The deadline for most of the awards is 31 January 2009. Only the NGS Newsletter Competition has an earlier deadline of 31 December 2008. Because the committee receives so many entries each year, they need more time to thoroughly review all the competing genealogical newsletters.

If you are preparing a family genealogy and are not yet ready for competition, NGS recommends you review the criteria for the Family History Writing Contest. The guidelines provided, as well as an award-winning example, are excellent tools to help you write a more professional family history.

For The details for each award, including the prize awarded and the judges’ criteria, visit http://www.ngsgenealogy.org/awards.cfm

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- Raleigh Family History Conference Registration Brochure Now Available Online

The NGS Family History Conference, "The Building of a Nation, From Roanoke to the West" will be held in Raleigh, North Carolina, on 13-16 May 2009 at the new Raleigh Convention Center, 2 East South St., Raleigh, North Carolina 27601. The new convention center offers free wireless access in the lobby.

With lower gas prices and reasonable hotel rates, take your spouse or a friend and plan to drive to Raleigh next May for the NGS Family History Conference. If you have North Carolina ancestors, it’s a great time to do some family history research and attend an outstanding conference.

The conference tracks will cover the following subjects:

BCG: Lectures to help prepare you for board certification
Migration Patterns
North and South Carolina Research
Ethnic Research
Working with Records
Methodology
Military Records
GENTECH: Technology used for genealogical research
National Archives Research
Land Records
Research in the States: Maryland, Kentucky, Tennessee,
Virginia, Georgia, Pennsylvania and Missouri

In addition, several events will be open to the public on Wednesday evening 13 May. This is a great opportunity for attendees to share their interests with non-attendee friends and relatives. The following open events are free and open to the public:

Society Night features many county genealogical and historical societies
from all over NC and nearby states, displaying information about their
group’s activities, answering questions about area repositories and
resources, and selling publications and books. We will enjoy live piano
music throughout the evening.

How Our Ancestors Moved over the Land in Olden Times: Land Transport
Capabilities and Limitations in Colonial Carolina features Tom Magnuson
from the Trading Path Association.

Genealogy 2.0: Using Digital Tools to Trace Your North Carolina Roots
features Druscie Simpson & Christy Allen from the North Carolina State
Library and Archives with a guided tour of the North Carolina State
Archives/State Library’s digital resources.

Melungeon Voices: A film by Julie Williams Dixon and Warren Gentry
offers a fascinating look into the earliest days of America and how
people put aside ethnic and racial differences to survive.

Irish Emigration to America and Canada features Mary Sullivan from
the Irish History Foundation sharing the reasons for and the
pattern of emigration from Ireland to America and Canada — who was
affected and why.

The Journey of an Ancestry Record: How an Image on Ancestry.com Gets
from the Archives to the Website features Laryn Brown from Ancestry.com.

In January, NGS members will receive a printed copy of the conference brochure and program in the mail, bundled with the NGS Quarterly. Beginning In 2009 NGS will mail the NGS Quarterly in a poly bag and include additional information about NGS in each mailing.

You can find a searchable conference program online at:
https://www.ngsgenealogy.org/Conferences/2009/program.cfm

For a downloadable conference program in PDF format, see https://www.ngsgenealogy.org/Conferences/2009/program.pdf

Conference registration is available online at: https://www.ngsgenealogy.org/Conferences/2009/ConferenceRegistration.htm

Also check the registration brochure for social events on Wednesday and Thursday evening and research opportunities at the North Carolina State Archives and the Genealogical Services Branch of the North Carolina State Library.

The new Raleigh Marriott City Center is sold out, but the Sheraton Hotel, a half-block from the Raleigh Convention Center, is accepting reservations. Sheraton Raleigh Hotel, 421 South Salisbury Street, Raleigh, North Carolina 27601 (919) 834-9900, or www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/index.html. The Sheraton has recently been renovated, and the conference hotel rate is $120 plus tax per night, single or double room. The rate includes free parking for one car per guestroom per day.

A third, lower-priced conference hotel is the Clarion Hotel State Capital, 320 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, North Carolina 27603, (919) 832-0501 or www.raleighclarion.com. It is an eight-block walk to the Raleigh Convention Center and approximately four blocks from the North Carolina State Archives & Library. Rooms at the Clarion are $79 plus tax per night, single or double, and include high-speed internet access and free parking.

Free public transportation will be available at the conference to take participants from the Raleigh Convention Center to the State Library and Archives. The “Downtown Circulator” will begin operation in February 2009. For the NGS Family History Conference in Raleigh, the “Downtown Circulator” will be operating from at least 7 a.m. until 11 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Hours will be more limited on Sunday. Two buses will run every hour, and each downtown loop will take approximately 20 minutes. NGS will post the route map, location of each stop, and schedule as soon as it is available.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- Librarians' Day Pre-conference Event in Raleigh, NC

Librarians' Day is scheduled for Tuesday, 12 May 2009 in Raleigh, North Carolina. All librarians who work with family history patrons or general reference questions will benefit from this special event. There is no charge, but participants must register by mail or online since space is limited. Registration will open in January 2009. Event sponsor ProQuest will provide lunch for librarians and will be available to answer questions about their products.

Speakers will include Susan D. Kaufman, manager of Clayton Library Center for Genealogical Research, on "Collection Development: What’s Your Plan?" Pam Cooper, winner of the Filby Prize for genealogical librarianship, on "Volunteers: Recruiting, Retaining and Rewarding;" Jason Tomberlin, Special Projects Librarian, North Carolina Collection, UNC Chapel Hill, on "The Digital CSR: The Colonial and State Records of North Carolina in the Internet Age;” and Pam Toms, Cheryl McLean, and Christy Allen, State Library of North Carolina, on Creating and Maintaining Specialized Collections and Services for Genealogy Researchers.

Librarians who participate in Librarians' Day are also encouraged to stay in Raleigh and register for the NGS 2009 Family History Conference, which begins the following day.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- NGS Research Trip to Salt Lake City 25 January to 1 February 2009

If you have not been to the Family History Library before, this is an opportunity to do a week of intense family research. Two experienced certified genealogists, Marie Varrelman Melchiori, CG, CGLSM and Shirley Langdon Wilcox, CG, FNGS, will lead the research trip and acquaint you with the many resources available at the library. Marie Melchiori specializes in records found at the National Archives, including military records. Shirley Wilcox has lead the NGS research trip for a number of years and has done personal and client work throughout the United States. Whether beginner or experienced researcher, you will have an opportunity to meet with the leaders for individual research consultations and perhaps have a fresh look at some of your “brick walls.”

You can register for the Salt Lake City Research Trip at http://www.ngsgenealogy.org where you can find pricing and trip details as well as full biographies of the trip leaders. Sign up soon because space is limited to 30 participants.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- Research in the States Series Available

The following states are available from the National Genealogical Society, Research in the States Series at the NGS website, http://www.ngsgenealogy.org:

* Genealogical Research in Arkansas by Lynda Childers Suffridge, 2008
* Genealogical Research in Illinois by Diane Renner Walsh, 2007
* Genealogical Research in Maryland by Patricia O'Brien, 2007
* Genealogical Research in Michigan by Shirley M. DeBoer, 2008
* Genealogical Research in Missouri by Pamela Boyer Porter and Ann Carter Fleming, 2007
* Genealogical Research in Nebraska by Roberta "Bobbi" King, 2008
* Genealogical Research in North Carolina by Jeffrey L. Haines, 2008,
* Genealogical Research in Ohio by Diane Vanskiver Gagel, 2008
* Genealogical Research in Oregon by Connie Miller Lenzen, 2007
* Genealogical Research in Pennsylvania by Kay Haviland Freilich, 2007
* Genealogical Research in Virginia by Eric G. Grundset, 2007
* Genealogical Research in West Virginia by Barbara Vine Little, 2007

Each publication is 8 1/2 inches by 11 inches, slightly larger than our previous Research in the States publications. The average length is 42 pages, but it varies by state. These publications are available in print for $14.50 for NGS members and $17.50 for non-members. Alternatively, each book can be purchased as a PDF file, an "e-book" that you can download from the NGS web site and then either read on your computer or print. E-books are $8 for NGS members and $10 for non-members. The direct link to the download and purchase page is https://www.ngsgenealogy.org/bookstore/ListItems.cfm?CATID=32

Each publication includes a section on archives, libraries, societies, and other research facilities in the respective state, as well as a discussion of the major family history resources available, such as maps, cemetery records, censuses, city directories, newspapers, military records, tax records and vital records. In addition, for each state you will find a discussion of which records are available at the local, county, and state level.

NGS plans to add a few new states each year, so check the NGS website periodically for new releases http://www.ngsgenealogy.org.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- 2010 NGS Family History Conference Planned for Salt Lake City

Plans are underway for the 2010 NGS Family History Conference to be held in Salt Lake City on 28 April through 1 May 2010. Please note the conference will be held earlier than usual in 2010, so save the date.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- Genealogy Lectures Available on CD ROM

If you were unable to attend the NGS conference in Kansas City, 14-17 May 2008, you will be happy to know that over 120 lectures were recorded and can be purchased on CD ROM for $12 each plus shipping. Lectures are available via a link, "Lectures from NGS Conference in Kansas City available for purchase on CD ROM," on the NGS website at http://ngsgenealogy.org. by scrolling down the home page to "2008 NGS CONFERENCE." This is an opportunity to hear genealogical experts discuss topics that will help you in your family research. Listed on the website is each speaker by last name, as well as the lecture track and title of each talk.

Optionally, you may access the JAMB-Inc. website directly at www.jamb-inc.com. Also included on the website are over 100 lectures from the 2007 NGS Conference in the States held in Richmond, Virginia. The tracks and topics vary for each conference.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

Other News

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

-- Ohio Genealogical Society Reaches $2.5-Million Funding for New Building

The following announcement was released on December 1, 2008.

Mansfield, Ohio--"We have achieved 'full funding' for our new building
project," reports E. Paul Morehouse, president, Ohio Genealogical Society.
"We thank our members and other contributors for their support." The amount
raised to date is $2,564,889.

The Society plans to begin construction early in 2009 of an
18,000-square-foot facility to better accommodate the Society's expanding
membership and its growing library collection. Society officials believe
that the new building will be the finest state genealogical library in the
country.

The new home for the Ohio Genealogical Society, to be located in Bellville
in Richland County near Mansfield, will serve professional and hobbyist
genealogists with climate-controlled space for archives, a reading room, a
preservation and digitization lab, meeting space and classrooms, and office
space.

The final funding element came from the State of Ohio. In mid-November, the
Ohio Cultural Facilities Commission approved a grant of $350,000 from the
State to the Society for the new building.

While the funding goal was achieved, the Society is encouraging its members
to continue to contribute to the building fund. Ted Minier, past president
and building fund chairperson, points out that the Society needs to pay down
a $600,000 loan from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. In addition, the
Society aims to build an endowment fund to maintain the new facility.

According to Minier, several naming rights remain available in the new
library in return for large donations.

Established in 1959, the Ohio Genealogical Society is the largest state
genealogical society in the country, with over 6,000 members, 95 chapters,
nearly 35,000 books and a lending library with more than 2,000 titles and
publications. It publishes the OGS Quarterly, OGS Genealogy News (both
included with OGS membership), Ohio Records & Pioneer Families, and Ohio
Civil War Genealogy Journal. For more information on OGS, visit www.ogs.org.

The Ohio Cultural Facilities Commission is a state agency that helps enhance
the quality of life for Ohioans by improving the state's cultural
facilities. Since 1988, the Commission has disbursed more than $400 million
of capital funds appropriated by the Legislature and Governor for facility
improvement projects at nonprofit theaters, museums, historical sites and
publicly owned professional sports venues. The Commission partners with
nonprofit groups and local governments on more than 300 projects in 72 of
Ohio's 88 counties. For more information on the Commission, visit
<http://www.culture.ohio.gov/>; www.culture.ohio.gov.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- Ohio Genealogical Society Call for Papers

Guiding Your Way Through the Past
OGS Annual Conference 22-24 April 2010
Toledo, Ohio

The Ohio Genealogical Society is accepting proposals for their annual conference, 22-24 April 2010 at the Seagate Convention Center, Toledo, Ohio. Sessions will be one hour long, which includes a ten-minute question and answer period. Topics for two-hour workshops will also be accepted.

Lecture topics could include Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Indiana research; records; methodology; technology, writing and publishing; skill building; and ethnic topics.

Proposals should include the following information:

* Title of presentation and brief, concise outline
* Short summary of presentation for conference brochure (50 word maximum)
* Intended Audience Level – beginner, intermediate, advanced, all
* Room/Audiovisual requirements for each lecture
* Camera ready copy for conference syllabus
* Speakers full name, postal and email addresses, telephone and fax numbers
* Brief speaker biography (2-3 sentences for syllabus)
* Resume of speakers’ lecture experience (Those having no recent experience at the regional level are encouraged to submit and audio or videocassette of a recent lecture.)

Speakers will receive an honorarium for each lecture presented, free conference registration, travel compensation to the city, hotel accommodations based on the number of lectures given, and a per diem.

Any number of proposals may be submitted. The deadline is 15 June 2009.

Mail two copies of each proposal, or send electronically to:

Dwane Grace
OGS 2010 Program Chair
137 Woodford Terrace
Lima, Ohio 45805-1331
419.228.2811

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- ISFHWE "Excellence in Writing" Competition

The International Society of Family History Writers and Editors (ISFHWE) is sponsoring its annual "Excellence in Writing" competition, open to all members of ISFHWE, both published and unpublished authors. Non-members may join ISFHWE at the time they submit their competition entries. The contest is judged by professionals in the fields of genealogy and journalism. The contest has four categories:

Category I - Newspaper Columns. This is for newspaper columns published on a regular basis, published in 2008. Entries must be shorter than 1,000 words.

Category II - Articles. These articles must have been published in 2008 in a journal, magazine, newsletter, or web site. Entries cannot exceed 5,000 words.

Category III - Genealogy Research Story. This category is for original, unpublished articles between 1,000 and 3,000 words. The articles should focus on telling the story of genealogical research using one of these topics: "The Search for," "Sorting Out the Entangled Roots of.," or " Encounters with a Family Skeleton."

Category IV - Want-to-be Writer/Columnist. Entrants in this category aspire to be writers or columnists in the field of genealogy/family or local history. The submissions in this category are original and unpublished, between 500 and 1,000 words.

Winners in each category will receive a cash prize and a certificate at the Gala ISFHWE Awards Banquet at the National Genealogical Society Conference in Raleigh, North Carolina in May 2009 but need not be present to win. Rules, judging information and entry form are available at: http://isfhwe.org/. This year's contest coordinator and judges are ineligible, as are last year's first-place winners in their winning category.

The contest entry fee is $5.00 for submissions received before 30 November 2008. Entries are $7.50 after that date and must be received by the coordinator NO later than 31 December 2008. There is no limit on the number of submissions by one entrant. Winners will be notified by 1 March 2009.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

Events Around the United States

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

January 2009

Pittsburgh, PA - Resources at the Rivers of Steel Museum & Archives 10 a.m – 12 noon at the
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh Lecture Hall, 4400 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 (Oakland Area). Curator of Collections Tiffani Emig guides us in an introduction to resources at the Rivers of Steel Museum & Archives. Created by Congress in 1996, the Rivers of Steel National Heritage Area is committed to preserving, interpreting, and managing the historic, cultural, and natural resources related to Big Steel and its related industries. Encompassing over 5,000 square miles in the eight counties of Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Greene, Fayette, Washington, and Westmoreland, Rivers of Steel is building on this area's remarkable transition from heavy industry to high technology and diversified services as well as bolstering the new regional economy by promoting tourism and economic development based on this region's historic industrial saga. Free and Open to the Public/Reservations not required. Parking fee at Carnegie Library is $5.00. For more information visit www.wpgs.org or 412-687-6811.

10-18 January 2009
IRISH GENEALOGY CONFERENCE on board the Independence of the Seas, Royal Caribbean International, Eastern Caribbean Cruise. Genealogy conferences held on cruise ships have become very popular. The price is comparable to attending a national conference, and you get a fabulous vacation at the same time! On this cruise you will learn about Irish research, have a fun vacation, and make new friends. We know that the most valuable part of the trip will be the opportunity to meet others with similar interests, share successes, and commiserate about brick walls. You are not alone. Speakers include: Valerie Adams, Public Record Office of Northern Ireland; Mary Ellen Grogan, TIARA, Boston; George B. Handran, Boston (Griffith's Valuation specialist); Michael J. Leclerc, New England Historic Genealogical Society; and Gregory O'Connor, National Archives of Ireland. COST: Pricing begins at $900 per person for the cruise and $75 for the conference. For detailed information on the cruise, go to the TIARA (The Irish Ancestral Research Association) website at http://www.tiara.ie. Any questions? Contact Mary Ellen Grogan at .

12-16 January 2009
Salt Lake City, UT - The Utah Genealogical Association’s 2009 Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy will be held at the Radisson Hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah. The Institute offers a week of in-depth instruction by expert genealogists in ten courses:

Course 1: American Records & Research: Focusing on Localities
Course 2: Research of the Gulf South—Georgia, Florida, Alabama,
Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Texas
Course 3: English Research
Course 4: Research in German Speaking Areas
Course 5: Colonial American Research
Course 6: Effective Use of the Internet
Course 7: Hispanic Research: Discovering Your Ancestors in Spain and Latin America
Course 8: Beyond the Library: Research in Archives, Courthouses and Manuscript Collections
Course 9: (Course full) Skill Building for Professional-Level Research
Course 10: Genealogical Problem Solving

For more information or to enroll online, please go to www.infouga.org.

Nashville, TN - The Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society presents its Annual Show and Tell Meeting at 1:00 p.m. at Fifty Forward (Knowles SeniorCenter), 174 Rains Ave., Nashville, TN (near the TN Fairgrounds). In addition to the Show and Tell, we will have re-enactors in uniform from the Civil War, both Confederate and Federal, a representative for WWI, and WWII. They will explain what they do and the use of their gear. Do you have a special heirloom you would like to share? This is the day for you to show off those one of a kind favorites. Please bring your old photos, documents, or family artifacts that have a strong link to your family's past. You will be in the company of others who will truly enjoy and appreciate your family heritage. On Sale at this Meeting: MTGS Family Bible Project is now available on DVD with a fully searchable .pdf format. The DVD includes 243 digitally photographed Family Bibles, with 11,482 fully indexed names from Davidson County and some of the surrounding counties. The price is $25.00 at the meeting. Come and join us! Refreshments will be served. For info visit www.mtgs.org or email .

DeLand, FL - The Roots and Branches Genealogical Society of West Volusia County meets in the Auditorium of the DeLand Public Library, 130 East Howry Avenue, at 2:00 p.m. The feature presentation will be by A.G. Conlon, who will speak on “General areas of what genealogical resources and techniques are available in tracing an immigrant’s steps from the origin country to the port of arrival in North America." Some personal examples will illustrate how cyber-detectives can find vital information on elusive and unknown ancestors. The presentation will also cover how to find information from the other major port of entry-Canada.

A basic genealogy lesson on “Initial Attack: Getting Started”will be conducted by Rosemary Sutton in the Conference room (first floor, behind and to the right of the Audio Visual Desk) at 1:00 p.m. The public is invited to attend the basic lesson and the general meeting. For more information, contact Carol Izzo at 386-734-8715.

Denver, CO - The History Section of the Reference and User Services Association (RUSA) invites librarians, library staff and the public to attend “Behind the Genealogy Reference Desk,” a one-day institute from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 24, 2009, at the Denver Public Library, held in conjunction with the ALA 2009 Midwinter Meeting. Participants will learn from local genealogy experts about how such resources as the Colorado Rail Museum and the Colorado State Archives can assist coast-to-coast family history researchers. Speakers will also address ways to overcome the challenges of closed-record environments. Advance registration ends Dec. 5, 2008. On-site registration will be available at the following rates: $115, RUSA member; $135, ALA member; $160, non-member; $85, students and retirees. The price includes lunch and a tour of the Colorado Historical Society Stephen Hart Library and the Colorado State Archives. Details and registration instructions are at the event’s website: http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/rusa/events/genealogypreconf/index.cfm

Institute presenters: Janice Prater, genealogy librarian, past-president of the Colorado Genealogical Society and editor of the International Society for British Genealogy and Family History's quarterly publication. Charles Albi, director emeritus of the Colorado Rail Museum, Golden (Colo.). Jose Esquibel, expert on colonial New Mexico and author of “Royal Road: El Camino Real from Mexico City to Santa Fe.” Dr. Wendel Cox, western bibliographer, Denver Public Library and author of “A World Together, a World Apart: the United States and the Arikaras, 1803-1851,” Rebecca Lentz, director of the Stephen Hart Library, Colorado Historical Society. James K. Jeffrey, genealogy specialist at the Denver Public Library and President of the Colorado Council of Genealogical Societies.

24 January - 21 February 2009
Marietta, GA - Cobb County Genealogical Society Beginner's Course at Cobb County Central Library Marietta, Georgia. Time: 9:30 AM to 1:00 PM. Explore how to start your genealogical research, organize your information, and learn what records are available. Cost: Free unless purchasing a workbook. Workbook cost: $35.00. See http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gaccgs/

Nashville, TN - Middle TN Genealogical Society presents Genealogy Classes at FiftyForward Knowles Senior Center, 174 Rains Ave., Nashville (near the State Fairgrounds), free to members and $3.00 for non-members. Classes are January 26, February 2, 9, 16, and 23, 2009. Beginning Genealogy is 10:30 a.m. to noon. Advanced Genealogy is 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Instructor is Virginia Watson, Genealogist and Past-President of the Middle TN Genealogical Society. for more information, email or visit www.mtgs.org

Marietta, GA - The Cobb County Genealogical Society presents 'History of the Marietta Bell Bomber Plant' by Joe Kirby. Time: 7 pm. Location: Cobb Central Library, Marietta, Georgia. Website: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gaccgs/

February 2009

Secaucus, NJ - The Hudson County Genealogical Society meeting is pleased to feature Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak speaking on Trace Your Roots with DNA. The meeting starts promptly at 11:00 a.m. at the Secaucus Public Library. See www.secaucus.bccls.org for directions. Ms. Smolenyak's books will be available for puchase. For more information, visit www.hudsoncountynjgenealogy.org, or email .

Port Charlotte, FL - The Charlotte County Genealogical Society, Inc., proudly presents its
spring Family History Symposium, "Improving Your Genealogy research Performance," featuring Stephen P. Morse, creator of the One-Step Website for which he received a Lifetime Achievement Award and the Outstanding Contribution Award from IAJGS. This event will be at the Lutheran Church of the Cross at 2300 Luther Road from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Doors open at 8:30 a.m. Mr. Morse's topics are One-Step Webpages: A Potpourri of Genealogical Search Tools, One-Step Webpages: A Hodgepodge of Lesser-Known Gems, Playing Hide and Seek in the US Census, and What Color Ellis Island Search Form Should I Use? Cost is $30 for CCGS members and $35 for non-members. Symposium materials & lunch are included in the registration fee. Reservation & Lunch deadline is Friday, Feb. 6. After this date you will need to bring your lunch. For a registration form, call Barbara Powell at 941-629-2344 or email .

20-21 February 2009
Denver, CO - The Colorado Genealogical Society will host its annual seminar 20-21 February 2009. The featured speakers will be Thomas H. Shawker, M.D. and Patricia O’Brien Shawker, CG. On Friday, 20 February, Dr. Shawker will address the society’s regularly scheduled meeting on Genealogy and Your Health at Christ the King Lutheran Church, 2300 S. Patton Ct., Denver. On Saturday, 21 February, he will present DNA Testing: the Very, Very Basics and Race Ethnicity, and Ancestry: DNA Testing. Patricia Shawker will speak on One Family’s Footprint in the Federal Records and Before Statehood: Territorial Records. Friday’s presentation is free. Saturday is an all-day event at the Denver Public Library, Central Branch, 13th & Broadway, Denver, with a materials fee of $30 per person. For more information, please visit the website online at www.cogensoc.us.

20-21 February 2009
Tallahassee, TN - The Tallahassee Genealogical Society presents TALGEN TECH with Dick Eastman, well known as the author of Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter, a daily publication read by more than 25,000 genealogists around the world. He is also a frequent presenter at major national and international conferences including GENTECH. He has published numerous articles in a wide variety of publications and was an advisor to PBS' Ancestry series where he also appeared as a guest in one of the episodes.

The seminar will be on 21 February from 9:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. at St. John’s Episcopal Church in Tallahassee. Dick Eastman, will provide the following presentations: Photographing Old or Delicate Documents and Photography, Genealogy searches on Google, Tombstone Photography, and Where is Genealogy Software Headed? Cost is $50 for TGS members and $60 for non-members if registered by 27 January and includes a continental breakfast and lunch. (Lunch is NOT guaranteed for onsite registration.) Enter Alfriend Hall at the corner of Call and Calhoun Streets. Print your registration form and find more information at www.talgen.org.

Also, join us for Research Day in the Florida State Archives on Friday, 20 February, from 9:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. at the R. A. Gray Building, 500 S. Bronough Street, Tallahassee, Florida Take advantage of personal research in the Florida State Archives. We will begin with an archives tour at 9:30 a.m. Afterwards help will be on hand for beginning researchers throughout the day. Lunch on your own. Join us for dinner with Dick Eastman at 6 p.m. at the Golden Eagle Golf & Country Club, 3700 Golden Eagle Drive, Tallahassee, at a cost of $30 each while Mr. Eastman presents Putting the Genes in Genealogy! For details, visit www.talgen.org.

Green Valley (AZ) Genealogical Society's annual seminar is on Saturday, 21 February 2009 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Elks Lodge, 2951 S. Camino Mercado, Green Valley. The featured speaker is Elissa Scalise Powell, CG. Topics:

· Rubik's Cube Genealogy: A New Twist on Your Old Data
· The Research Cycle: Don't Pedal Backwards
· Thinking Outside the Index: Online Search Techniques
· Sharing Your Data in an Internet Age

Cost is $37.50 for members and $40 for non-members including a buffet lunch. For further information or a registration form to download please see the society's Web site at http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~azgvgs/.

Whittier, CA - Whittier Area Genealogical Society presents its 26th Annual Seminar from 8:00 am to 4:00 p.m. and features Curt B. Witcher, Manager for The Genealogy Center of the Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne, IN. Mr. Witcher also serves as general curator for that institution’s Rare and Fine Book Collection. He is the co-editor of the 1987 through 2008
editions of the Periodical Source Index (PERSI) and is a former president of both the Federation of Genealogical Societies and the National Genealogical Society and is the founding president of the Indiana Genealogical Society. His presentations will be “Doing Effective Genealogical Research in
Libraries,” “Using Periodical Literature for Genealogical Research, ” “Pain in the Access: Getting More from
the Internet for Your Genealogy,” and “All That Other Stuff!: Other Census Records Beyond Population Schedules.” Visit the vendor/display area before and between presentations. Registration is $32 until 21 February; if later, add $3. For complete information and form, check the WAGS website, http://www.cagenweb.com/kr/wags. For questions, call or email: Judy Poole, Seminar director, at (909) 985-6657, .

Port Charlotte, FL - German Research Genealogy Seminar in Southwest Florida features Baerbel Johnson, for the first time in Florida, presenting "Putting Flesh on the Genealogical Skeleton." Baerbel Johnson is a professional genealogist working at the Family History Library as an International Reference Consultant. She holds degrees in Family and Local History Studies and Sociology from BYU with more than 20 years of extensive experience in European family history research with emphasis on Germany. Her presentations will include:

· Marriage Laws and Customs in Germany
· German Research on the Internet
· Strategies for Solving German Research Problems
· Internet Resources for Locating the 19th Century German Emigrant

The seminar is from 8:00AM to 3:30PM at St. James Episcopal Church, 1375 Viscaya Drive, Port Charlotte, FL. Registration begins at 8:15 a.m and the seminar begins at 9:15 a.m. Fee is $25.00 for members, $30.00 for non-members. Pre-registration by February 18, 2009 includes lunch. For more information and a registration form, visit our website at www.rootsweb.com/~flggrg

March 2009

Mishawaka, IN - The South Bend Area Genealogical Society will host its "Michiana Genealogical Fair 2009" on Saturday, March 14, 2009 at the downtown Mishawaka-Penn-Harris Public Library, 209 Lincoln Way East, Mishawaka, Indiana 46544. Featured speaker will be Mr. Jeff Bockman, speaking on "Using Maps for Genealogical Research" and "No Birth Certificate, No Problem." Over twenty genealogical materials vendors and exhibitors will also be present for attendees browsing and assistance. For more details, visit us online at http://www.sbags.org or email .

New Bern, NC - Overcoming Brick Walls Workshop. Craig Roberts Scott, CG, will provide a four-part workshop "Overcoming Brickwalls." The talks include: Service Not Found: Finding Your Ancestor in the Military; Maiden Name Not Found: Finding Your Female Ancestors; Land Not Found: Finding Your Ancestor on the Ground; and Where Oh Where: Using the Internet to Solve Brickwall Problems.

Brea, CA - A one day Seminar sponsored by the Genealogical Society of North Orange County California entitled One-Step Webpages: A Potpourri of Genealogical Search Tools featuring Stephen Morse, Ph.D., creator of the One-Step Website (www.stevemorse.org) in his first Orange County appearance. Dr. Morse has been honored by both the National Genealogical Society and Association of Professional Genealogists for his work.

Topics to be covered include: in-depth review of many of the 150+ one-step tools created by Dr. Morse; DNA and Genetic Genealogy; and US Census tools. The seminar will run from 8AM to 4PM and will take place at the Brea United Methodist Church, 480 N. State College Blvd., Brea, CA 92821. Member donation is $25, non-member donation is $30 and at the door donation is $35. A professionally catered box lunch is available for $9 by pre-registration only before 6 March 2009. For more information, go to www.gsnocc.org for registration and map.

Hot Springs Village, AR - Village Genealogical Society, Hot Springs Village, Arkansas, “2009 Spring Family History Workshop” featuring internationally known speaker and columnist Michael John Neill M.S. Topics of the all-day workshop will be “Researching the Entire Family,” “Problem Solving Applied to Genealogy,” “I Found it; Now what?” “Tried and Tested Tidbits.” Workshop hours are 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Registration fee $35. For registration form and details, please call Jeanette Frahm 501-922-9220, e-mail , or visit http://pages.suddenlink.net/hsvgs/

Virginia Beach, VA - Virginia Beach Genealogical Society's 2009 Annual Conference, “Tell Me About It,” features well-recognized author, teacher, publisher, and wit, John Philip Colletta, Ph.D.. Dr. Coletta will give 4 presentations to fine-tune your genealogical research and writing in his unique, energetic, and entertaining style on Saturday, 28 March 2009, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m at Central Library, Virginia Beach VA. His topics are Lesser-Used Federal Records; Libraries, Archives & Public Records Offices: Understanding Resource Repositories; Effective Interviewing; and Turning Biographical Facts into Real-Life Events: How to Build Historical Context. You'll also find exhibitors, vendors, door prizes, free DNA kits, magazines, goodies, and much more. Registration form required plus $35 members/$40 for nonmembers. Add $5 for payment received after 16 March 2009. For registration form and details, please call J. B. Wright 757.495.0672, email , or visit www.rootsweb.com/~vavbgs.

Kalamazoo, MI - The The Kalamazoo Valley Genealogical Society (KVGS) Spring Conference will be held at the Fetzer Center, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Michigan from 9:00 to 4:00. Featured speaker Paula Stuart-Warren's topics will be "NUCMC & its Cousins: Keys to Lost Ancestral Records," "Tho' They Were Poor, They May Have Been Rich in Records," "Organizing Your Genealogical Materials," and "Finding Ancestral Places of Origin." Cost (buffet lunch included) is $40 for KVGS members, $45 for non-members. For a downloadable registration form, see www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mikvgs/ and look under the 2009 calendar.

April 2009

Topeka, KS - The Topeka Genealogical Society Annual Conference, featuring speaker John Philip Colletta, will be held at the Kansas State Historical Society, 6425 SW Sixth Street, Topeka, Kansas. For more details and downloadable registration form (as they become available), see our website: www.tgstopeka.org.

June 2009

Wichita, KS - The 2009 conference presented by The Kansas Council of Genealogical Societies, Inc. and The Wichita Genealogical Society, featuring Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak is scheduled for June 20, 2009 at the Spiritual Life Center in Wichita, Kansas. Sessions include:
- Trace Your Roots with DNA
- Welcome to Roots Television
- Reverse Genealogy
- Find That Obituary: Online Newspaper Research
Early registration: $45.00 [rec’d by 5/30/2009]. Late registration: $50.00. Contact for details or visit our website at: http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/kcgs/

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

To add your event to this calendar, please send an announcement to .

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

Family Reunions

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

BUSCH - MOEHRIG Family Reunion at the Conservation Plaza, New Braunfels, TX, on Sunday, 27 April. Registration 11:30, lunch 12:30, business meeting to follow. Lunch plates $10.00 For more info contact Vickie Moehrig .

5-7 June 2009
QUARLES - The QUARLES Family 200 Years Celebration/Reunion will be in Cookeville/Algood, Tennessee on 5, 6, and 7 June 2009. You are invited to a reunion of the descendants of Lt. WILLIAM PENNINGTON QUARLES, RWA, of Virginia who settled at White Plains, Tennessee, in 1809, present-day Putnam County. Associated families: Burton, Hawes, Hughes, Little, Huntsman, Hyder, Simpson, Lampton, and Snodgrass. Please visit our web site often for new information at http://wpquarles2009.info. Questions? Contact Eunetta Finley Jenkins at or at 931-526-9072 or 931-260-7651 or at 33 Ferguson Avenue, Cookeville, TN 38501.

June 11-13
OWSLEY - 2009 OWSLEY Family Historical Society Annual Meeting, 11-13 June, Louisville, Kentucky. Details at our revised website: www.ofhs.org.

Save the date, make plans, and tell your relatives we'll gather in Louisville in June for three days of Owsley/Ousley/Housley family sharing, history, and fun. We'll begin with the traditional Thursday evening dessert social; bring photos, new genealogical finds, and tall tales. Our outings include a very special visit to the Frazier International History Museum founded by Owsley Brown Frazier, Louisville philanthropist and former Vice-Chairman of the Brown-Forman Corporation. The Museum brings together two collections: the founder's priceless collection of historical objects, from the family Bible of Daniel Boone to the "big stick" of President Theodore Roosevelt AND displays and artifacts from Britain's Royal Armouries (including the Tower of London). The scope of the museum is from the Battle of Hastings in 1066 (in which our ancestors took part) through Teddy Roosevelt's Presidency and his subsequent African safari, set in over 100,000 square feet of a restored historical building.

We'll also visit a gem for genealogical research, the Filson Historical Society's Library. The extensive collection focuses on Kentucky, the Upper South, and the Ohio Valley (gateway to westward expansion). Holdings reflect origin and destination states for the migrants: Virginia, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana and Missouri. The Library has over 3,500 family histories, nearly 4,000 Kentucky genealogy files, 840 newspapers, much original sheet music, and a Civil War collection. Open days Monday through Friday and first Saturday.

An optional riverboat dinner cruise on the Ohio River is planned for Friday evening. Service is buffet style and there's an open bar. And we should be on the river for sunset.

As always, we end the annual meeting with our Saturday evening banquet. Come early, stay late; there's so much to do and see in Louisville. Sights include the Speed Art Museum, Kentucky Derby Museum, Kentucky Museum of Art and Craft, Farmington Historic House Museum, and Locust Grove (last home of General George Rogers Clark circa 1790 and stopping point for Meriwether Lewis and William Clark on their return from the Pacific).

Marion Baumgarten

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

To add your family reunion to this calendar, please send an announcement to

Planning your own family reunion? Read the popular book in the NGS Guide Series by Sandra McLean Clunies, CG: "A Family Affair" https://www.ngsgenealogy.org/BookStore/ShowProduct.cfm?PRODID=402

Family reunion planners can find lots of reunion planning info and can request a free copy of Reunions magazine at www.reunionsmag.com.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

About UpFront

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

- Previous Issues of UpFront with NGS

Did you miss an issue of UpFront with NGS? Previous issues are archived online.

Browse: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/index/NGS
Search: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/search?aop?list=NGS

For technical help regarding the list, including how to subscribe or unsubscribe, contact:
UpFront with NGS, List Administrator
Gayathri Kher

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

- Disclaimers and Copyright

The opinions, articles, and statements expressed herein are solely for the use of our readers. Neither the reviews nor the reports may be used in advertising or for any commercial purpose. NGS and the authors disclaim any liability, loss, or risk, personal or otherwise that is or may be incurred as a consequence, directly or indirectly, of the use and applications of any of the products, techniques, and technologies mentioned herein. NGS does not imply endorsement of any outside advertiser or other vendors appearing in this electronic newsletter.

Each issue of UpFront is under copyright of the National Genealogical Society. Permission is granted to share the news and events portions of UpFront provided you include the following statement:
"Originally published in UpFront with NGS, The Online Newsletter of the National Genealogical Society. http://www.NGSgenealogy.org/upfront.htm";

Permission for sharing other articles contained in UpFront requires approval. Contact and include the issue date and title of the article you wish to share or reprint elsewhere.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

- NGS Contact Information

National Genealogical Society
3108 Columbia Pike, Suite 300
Arlington, Virginia 22204-4370
Phone: (703) 525-0050 or (800) 473-0060
Fax: (703) 525-0052
E-mail:
http://www.NGSgenealogy.org

Membership
http://www.NGSgenealogy.org/member.htm

Conferences
http://www.NGSgenealogy.org/conf.cfm

Education and Publications
http://www.NGSgenealogy.org/edu.cfm

Learning Center
http://www.NGSgenealogy.org/edu.cfm

- About NGS

The National Genealogical Society is the indispensable resource for genealogists seeking excellence in publications, education offerings, research materials, and peer interaction with others that share the common bond of interest in the field of genealogy.

To learn more about the goals, publications, conferences, services, and member benefits of the National Genealogical Society, visit the NGS Web site: http://www.NGSgenealogy.org

c 2009 National Genealogical Society

This thread: