NHROCKIN-L Archives

Archiver > NHROCKIN > 2000-05 > 0959661520

From: Dick Marston <>
Subject: Re: GDMNH translation
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 21:38:40 -0700

"Jack W. Ralph" wrote:

> Fellow Researchers,
>
> I found the following entry on page 441 of the GDMNH under the surname
> heading of LOCKE:
>
> "3 '1/2 NATHANIEL,' of whom no contemp. ev. is found, was traditionally
> the fa. of John(2), Judith Berry(13) and Sabina Berry(14). Nathaniel(4)
> would also be a poss. s. The theory is put forward that he came to
> Hampt. 1660 (preceded by his s. John) accomp. by a young w. Sabina
> (Hemins) and her ch., that he soon d., and that his wid. was that Sabina
> who m. Wm. Marston(10) and John Redman(1). In 1672 the will of Marston,
> naming his w. Sabina and making their dau. Tryphena (b. 1663) his chief
> heir, was wit. by John Locke(2) (who also had a dau. Tryphena), Locke's
> mo.-in-law and her 2d husb. Tryphena Marston m. Joseph Philbrook, and
> after the death of her mo. (then Sabina Redman), Hampt. was disturbed by
> Philbrook's demands for "rights sometime his w.'s mo.s. A few yrs. aft.
> the death of that Sabina Locke who m. 1st Berry(14), 2d Lewis(1) and 3d
> Philbrook(4), a Berry gr.s. wrote in his Bible 'Sabina Philbrick b. on
> the ocean acc. to report d. 1761 ag. 95.' This indicates 1666 as the
> yr. of her birth, but as her supposed mo. Sabina (Hemins) Locke had m.
> Capt. Marston bef. 1663, either the yr. or age is doubtful. In 1810
> Jonathan and David Locke depos.: Wm. Berry's w. Judith was the dau. of
> Nathaniel Locke and his w. who came from Eng., and Locke's w. bef.
> marriage was Hemins and she brot with her a coat-of-arms which referreth
> to John Hemins (N. H. Gen. Rec. i. 139). Poss. study of the lands of
> John Redman, Wm. Fifield, Richard Sloper etc. (especially of puzzling
> entries in Hampt. rec. 2: 125, 128) might confirm this trad.
> 4 NATHANIEL, Great Isl. 1671, worked on highways there Mar. - Sept.
> 1672; soon d. s. p. (See 3 1/2)."
>
> My questions:
>
> Can anyone translate the above into contempory American English so that
> I can understand it?

Being an extremely bright (and modest) 6 year old in 1939 when this book
was published, I think I qualify as a contemporary of that ancient era.
I'll take a stab at it as follows:

"3 '1/2 NATHANIEL,' of whom no contemporary evidence is found, was traditionally
> the father of John(2), Judith Berry(13) and Sabina Berry(14). Nathaniel(4)
> would also be a possible son. The theory is put forward that he came to
> Hampton 1660 (preceded by his son John) accompanied by a young wife Sabina
> (Hemins) and her children, that he soon died, and that his widow was that Sabina
> who married William Marston(10) and John Redman(1). In 1672 the will of Marston,
> naming his wife Sabina and making their daughter Tryphena (born 1663) his chief
> heir, was witnessed by John Locke(2) (who also had a dau. Tryphena), Locke's
> mother-in-law and her 2d husband. Tryphena Marston married Joseph Philbrook, and
> after the death of her mother (then Sabina Redman), Hampton was disturbed by
> Philbrook's demands for "rights sometime his wife's mother's. A few years after
> the death of that Sabina Locke - who married 1st Berry(14), 2d Lewis(1) and 3d
> Philbrook(4) -, a Berry grandson wrote in his Bible, 'Sabina Philbrick born on
> the ocean according to report died 1761 age 95.' This indicates 1666 as the
> year of her birth, but as her supposed mother Sabina (Hemins) Locke had married
> Capt. Marston before 1663, either the year or age is doubtful. In 1810
> Jonathan and David Locke deposed: William Berry's wife, Judith, (who) was the
> daughter of Nathaniel Locke and his wife who came from England. Locke's wife's
> maiden name was Hemins, and she brought with her a coat-of-arms which referred
> to John Hemins (N. H. Gen. Rec. i. 139). Possibly, study of the lands of
> John Redman, William Fifield, Richard Sloper, etc. (especially of puzzling
> entries in Hampton record vol. 2: pgs. 125, 128) might confirm this tradition.
>
> 4 NATHANIEL, Great Island 1671, worked on highways there March - September
> 1672; soon died without issue (children). (See 3 1/2)."

I have changed the punctuation and words in places in order to help the
translation (I hope).

> What do the numbers in parenthesis after the names mean?

Those are the numbers where each respective person will be found under
the surname of each in GDMNH.

> Is "3 '1/2 NATHANIEL,' " still a *mystery*? Has anyone postively
> identified this Nathaniel and his ancestors/descendants? If so, where
> is it published and/or what "proofs" are available?

Not to my knowledge, but then I'm probably too old to have heard the
latest. :-)

> Who is Wm. Fifield and Richard Sloper, and how do they fit into the
> picture?

Perhaps they won't, but the compilers thought that these documents, land
deeds, might provide facts which relate somehow (unexplained) to
clarifying (proving or disproving) the family tradition that Sabina was
a HEMINS and that Nathaniel was the father of John, Judith, Sabina, and
possibly Nathaniel (Jr.), #4 in GDMNH. Dow (History of Hampton) didn't
profess to know her surname. Marston (The Marston Genealogy) thought
incorrectly that she was a PAGE. Neither of these mention Nathaniel 3
1/2. I guess the LOCKE genealogies (which I don't have) don't either.

I hope this helps!

-
Dick Marston, Marston Manor,
[ http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~dickmarston/ ]