NHROCKIN-L Archives

Archiver > NHROCKIN > 2009-07 > 1246728875

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [NHROCKIN] Dow Family in Newmarket, Rockingham Co., NH
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 17:34:35 -0000

Author: ddow_01
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.newhampshire.counties.rockingham/1654.2.1.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

>From the Book of Dow. The discussion of a third marriage seems a bit difficult to believe. The author had compiled the genealogies of six different people and despite much independent research, some errors do creep in. Note he also uses the present tense for some of the descendents. The book was published in 1929 so you can estimate from there.

Darius J Dow d Tufftonborough Nov 3, 1893, rec giving names of both parents. A grandson is authority for the statement that he was youngest of family, perhaps not accurate. Teacher, cabinet maker and farmer, most of his life was in Tuftonborough; m 1st Mary Ann Osgood b Apr 17, 1817, d Mch 1, 1840, dau of Dudley and Martha (Moore) of London. This, correct in Osgood Gen, badly garbled in Hist Canterbury. Of Newmarket, he m 2nd Dec 8, 1842, Lydia D Lucy of Pittsfield. A 3rd m is surely his: Darwin J b Gilmanton, ae 56, farmer of Tufftonborough, son of Jonathan and Joanna, m Apr 25, 1882, wid Lizzie R Graves, ae 52. If correct Darwin would come 33 years after marriage. A man invariably lies about his age at 2nd m but it is, neverless, astounding that a man of 71 should say he was 56 and get away with it. Children:
a Martha m Foss A Burnham of No. Berwick, Me
b Christiania m Webster Wells of Wells, Me
c Alice d unm
d Sidney Jerome b Newmarket July 2, 1846

Sidney J Dow traveling salesman of Boston, d Bridgewater Apr 3, 1908; m Great Falls, N H, June 6, 1868, Elmira Abigail Perkins b Wells, Me, Sept 30, 1853. Children:

a Fred d in infancy
b Grace Lillian, now Mrs Foprgate of Medford, Mass; letter returned "not found"
c Charles Pike b Peabody, Mass, June 13, 1877
d Arthur Francis; now bond broker of Boston and Sumerville

Parent of Darius:

Jonathan Dow Said to be b Epping 1776, will probably be proved as soon as someone searches rec of Epping second church. The late John Mark Moses began this search and had transcribed to 1772 before his untimely death. He cannot be son of a Benjamin b 1759. Perhaps he was one of the missing sons of Noah Dow of Gilmanton; if so, what was he doing in Walden? Kinsip with Nathaniel is much more likely. At all events Jonathan m Jan 7, 1796, Joanna Gilman b Dec 17, 1777, dau of Samuel and Alice Gilman of Newmarket. This Gilman family intermarried with [other Dow] line. The young couple settled in Walden 1797. The children appear first in Coventry and by the time they matured were as much at home in Gilmanton as in Vt.

a Samual b abt 1797
b Joanna b abt 1800
c Mary C (somewhat doubtful identity)
d Harrison (his d rec gives William H b Gilmanton Dec, 8 1819: we never forget that a twice married man invariably lies about his age)
e Winslow; living 1889 in West Danville, Vt
f Darius Jerome b Gilmanton
h Elsie

Children of Darius:

Charles P Dow became an orange broker and dealer in mortgages in Orlando Fla, returned to Boston about 1920 and organized the firm of C P Dow & Co, investment bonds. The failure of this firm in 1925 with liabilities well into the millions produced no small sensation, its assets small. Indicted on many counts in the Federal Court, he finally pleaded guilty on a charge of using the mails to defraud and was punished by a fine of $2,000. That the firm was very recklessly conducted was freely admitted. The penalty indicate that the Court did not find a degree of criminality charged by the sensational press. A little later he pleaded guilty to a charge of bucket-shopping and was fined $2,500. His unsecured creditors got 10 per cent on $6,000,000 liabilities.

He m Boston Jan 1, 1901, Carolyn Barker Heal b Westport, Me, Feb 23, 1878, dau of William and Harriet G (Cunningham). Children:

a Carolyn Eva B Boston Oct 15, 1902
b Marion Heal b Orlando, Nov 29, 1906
c Eleanor Pike b Medford, Mass, July 31, 1908

Arthur F Dow m Grace Iva Godfrey. Children:
a Constance b Summerville Feb 9, 1902
c Richard Godfrey B Medford Apr 6. 1909

Important Note: