NIR-ARMAGH-L Archives

Archiver > NIR-ARMAGH > 2002-02 > 1014813772

From: Alison Causton <>
Subject: [ARMAGH] Portadown - Slater's Directory (1881)
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 07:50:59 -0500

Please remember to cite the bibliographic reference given at the end of
this posting, in any subsequent usage of this information.

PORTADOWN

A MARKET town, partly in the parish of SEAGOE, barony of O’Neilland
East, but chiefly in the parish of DRUMCREE, barony of O’Neilland West,
county of Armagh, is 84 miles N. from Dublin, 25 S.W. by W. from
Belfast, 19 W.S.W. from Lisburn, 15 E. from Dungannon, 10 N.E. by N.
from Armagh, 4 S. from Lough Neagh, 6-1/2 E. by N. from Loughgall, 5-1/2
S.W. from Lurgan, the same distance N.E. from Richhill, and 4-1/2 N.W.
by N. from Gilford; eligibly situated on the river Bann, over which is a
stone bridge of five arches, connecting it with the small suburb of
EDENDERRY, in the parish of Seagoe. The Newry canal joins the river
about a mile above the town, and the latter falls into Lough Neagh at
its southern side, and issuing at the opposite point loses itself in the
sea below Coleraine, thus forming, in connection with the canal, a water
communication between that place and Newry. This is now but little
used, consequent on the opening of railway communication with all parts
of the country. The Great Northern and the Ulster lines of railway have
a joint station conveniently close to the town. The ancient name of
this place was Port-ne-doon, signifying the “Port of the fortified
eminence”, from a castle of the McCann’s, who occupied this important
station, commanding the pass of the river Bann. In the reign of Charles
I, Portadown consisted of no more than three or four small houses, and
was granted by that monarch, with the estate, to J. P. Obyns, Esq. It
now consists of a well-built principal street, and several smaller
streets branching from it in various directions. In 1780 a general
grain market was established by the late Major Obyns and John Woodhouse,
Esq. And of late years the weekly sales of corn have greatly increased.
The trade in other agricultural produce is also great, and is much
promoted by the situation of the place, in the centre of an extensive
and fertile district, and the facile means in possession of transmission
to distant parts. The manufacture of linen, cambric, and sheeting is
carried on extensively in the town and neighbourhood, and affords
employment to a considerable number of persons. Banking accommodation
is amply supplied by branches of the Bank of Ireland, the Belfast
Banking Company, and the Ulster Banking Company. Petty sessions are
held on the second and fourth Mondays in each month. The general
appearance of the town is cleanly and respectable. The principal street
contains a number of excellent retail establishments. The town is also
well lighted with gas, and is governed by a chairman and commissioners
elected triennially under the Towns Improvement Act of 1854.

The Protestant Episcopal church of Drumcree, situated about a mile
from the town, is a handsome edifice, in the early English style, with a
tower at the eastern end; and the parish church of Seagoe, which forms a
very pleasing object in the landscape, stands about an English mile
north, in themidst of a finely wooded and well-cultivated district. St.
Mark’s church, a neat structure with a square tower, stands in the town;
as do also Presbyterian meeting houses, and chapels respectively for
Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. The Roman Catholic church is
situated in William street. The charitable institutions comprise
dispensaries for the sick poor, a fever hospital, and public schools.
The court house and news room, in High street, is a handsome and
ornamental structure. A good market place and shambles were erected by
subscription, and placed under the superintendence of a committee. The
general market is held on Saturday, and one for grain, hay and straw on
Wednesday. Fairs, the third Saturday in every month. The town
contained in 1861, 5,528 inhabitants, and in 1871, 6,735.

POST OFFICE, MARKET STREET,

FRANCIS J. O’HANLON, Post Master.

ARRIVALS.

>From England, Dublin, Belfast, and all parts of Ireland at half-past
eleven night.
>From Scotland, Belfast, Lisburn, and Lurgan at eight morning.
>From Dungannon, Moy, Monaghan, Armagh, Caledon, and Glaslough at ten
minutes past ten morning.
>From England, Dublin, Drogheda, Dundalk, Newry, Banbridge, and all
places between Dublin and Portadown, at ten minutes past eleven morning.
>From Armagh and Monaghan at fifty minutes past two afternoon.
>From Dungannon, Moy, Omagh, Strabane, Derry, Belfast, Lisburn, Lurgan,
and Travelling Railway Mail at four afternoon.
>From Dublin, Armagh, and Dungannon at a quarter-past six evening.
>From Annaghmore and Rural Letter Carriers at eight evening.

DESPATCHES.

To Dublin and Annaghmore at half past seven morning.
To Belfast, Lisburn, Lurgan, and all places between Portadown and
Belfast at twenty-five minutes past ten morning.
To Armagh, Derry, Omagh, Strabane, Newton Stewart, Castlederg,
Ballygawley, Pomeroy, Dungannon, and Moy at forty-five minutes past ten morning.
To Monaghan, at ten minutes past two afternoon.
To England, Dublin, Drogheda, Dundalk, Newry, Banbridge, and all places
between Portadown and Dublin, at twenty minutes past three afternoon.
To Scotland, Belfast, Lisburn, Lurgan, Armagh, and Dungannon, at twenty
minutes past five evening.
To Derry, Omagh, Strabane, Dungannon, Moy, and all places between
Portadown and Derry, at fifty minutes past ten evening.
To England, Scotland, Dublin, Drogheda, Dundalk, Newry, Banbridge, and
all places in Ireland, except along Derry line of rail, at ten minutes
past one morning.
Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Bank.

GENTRY & CLERGY.
Anderson Mr. Hugh, High st.
Andrews Rev. Samuel, M.A. Armagh rd
Armstrong Mr. Alfred, Edenderry
Armstrong Thos. Esq. J.P. Eden Hall
Atkinson Misses Grace & Mary, Millicent ter
Atkinson Misses Henrietta & Isabella, Mahon House
Atkinson Mr. John B. Church st.
Atkinson Mr. Wm. Henry, Thomas st
Atkinson Woolsey, Esq. Eden Villa
Beck Mrs. Eliza, Castle st
Blacker Major Stewart, J.P. D.L. Carrickblacker House
Bredon Mrs. Kate, Millicent ter
Buchanan Rev. Thomas, Duneglish
Byrne Rev. Lawrence, William st
Carleton Mrs. Elizabeth, Church st
Carleton Miss Elizabeth, Church st
Carrick Rev. Powles, Church st
Collen Mr. John, Killicomain House
Cowdy Anthony, Esq. Thomas st
Cowdy Rev. Samuel, Hanover st
Cowdy Mr. William, Thomas st
Dawson Rev. Abraham, A.M. Seagoe Glebe
Dickey Mrs. Martha, Annagh ter
Elliott Rev. Leonard D. M.A. Manse, Edenderry
Fitzgerald Rev. Augustine, A.M. Clounagh
Glasgow Rev. James, D.D. St. Amand pl
Green Mr. James, Glenachy
Harris Mr. Henry J, Annagh ter
Henry Mrs. Catherine, William st
Hobson Rev. Edward W. A.B. High st
Irwin Mr. David W. Castle st
Johnston Mrs. Eliza Frances, Thomas st
Jones Mr. William, Church st
Kernahan Mr. Robert, High st
Kingsborough Rev. Robt. Carleton st
Kinkead Mr. George, High st
Leaney Mr. John, Thomas st
Lee Rev. Robert S. Thomas st
Lodge Rev. Geo. J. A.B. Edenderry
McConnell Mrs. Martha, Church st
McGahie Rev. Hugh, Thomas st
McKinney Mrs. Eliza, Carleton st
Marley Miss Mary, Bridge st
Marley Mr. Thomas, Castle st
Murray Rev. John L. Alma ter
O’Donnell Rev. John, William st
Paul Mr. William J. High st
Pepper Richmond, Esq. Ballyworkin House
Quarry Mrs. ---, Victoria ter
Shillington Averell, Esq. High st
Shillington Mr. Henry, B.A. Carrickblacker avenue
Shillington Mr. Thomas, Altavilla
Shillington Thomas, Esq. J.P. Tavanagh House
Sinnamon Mr. D’Arcy, Wentworth House
Twibble Rev. __, A.B. Drumcree Rectory
Vint Rev. Robert, B.A. Alma ter
Wakefield Chas. F. Esq. Corcrain Villa
Walker John, Esq. Seagoe Villa
Whelan Rev. W. J. F., B.A. Drumcree
Whelan Captain William Edward, R.M. Millicent ter
ACADEMIES AND SCHOOLS.
Cowdy, Miss ---, Hanover st
Greer Margaret (day & boarding), Church st
INFANTS’ SCHOOLS:---
Church st—Annie Major, mistress
Thomas st—Annie Trouton, mistrs.
Kinkead, Miss ---, High st
NATIONAL SCHOOLS:---
Artabracka – John Montgomery, master; Henrietta Montgomery, mistress
Bridge st – David Geddis, master
Church st – William English, master; Effie English, mistress
Corcrain – John Cox, master
Drumgoose – Alex. Maxell, master
Seagoe – Margaret M. Kinnear, mstrs
Thomas st (Wesleyan) – John Ferguson, master; Margaret Ferguson, mistress
William st – Charles McDermott, master; Agnes McGinnity, mistrs
PORTADOWN ACADEMY (intermediate):
Armagh rd – Matthew Steen, B.A. head master
ACCOUNTANTS.
Guy William John, Carleton st
Pentland John S. West st
AGENTS.
Marked thus * are Commission Agents.
Burnett &Corbett (for J. Pullar & Sons, dyers, Perth), High st. & West st
Capper Adam C. (for Goulding’s & Richardson’s manures), High st
Fisher Robert (linen), Alma ter
* Fordyce James, Thomas st. & at Hill st. Newry
Grew John (emigration), High st
* Guy Wm. John (& emigration), Carleton st
Hobson John (goods agent to the Great Northern Railway), Woodhouse st
Kennedy Matthew (for John Woolsey & Co. brewers, Castle Bellingham),
Mary st
* Livingston John G. (& emigration), Bridge st
McCammon J. M. & J. (for W. & A. Gilbey), West st
McClelland Joseph & Co. (manures), High st
* Mackay William, Eden ter. Edenderry
Pentland John S. (emigration), West st
* Russell Thomas, Edenderry
Shillington Averell & Son (for Coutt’s acetic acid, & Leath & Ross,
homœpathic chemists), High st
Sinnamon D’Arcy (for Government emigration), Wentworth House
Wallace Hugh (for Phillips & Sons’ safes), Woodhouse st
Wartley Elizabeth (for D. C. Hutchison, dyer, Belfast), Woodhouse st
Wilson Elizabeth (sewing, & for Gibson Brothers, dyers, Paisley), Edenderry
AUCTIONEERS & VALUERS.
Fordyce James (& consulting forester & landscape gardener), Thomas st.
Portadown, & Hill st. Newry
McMullan Hugh, Woodhouse st
Pentland John S. West st
BAKERS & FLOUR DEALERS.
Brown Thomas Edenderry
Finn William, High st. & Carleton st
Johnson, Alex. & Son, High st. & Edenderry
Keating & Doherty, High st. & Bridge st
McIlveen Brothers, High st
McKell James, Market st
Mitchell William, High st
Stanley Henry, High st
Treanor James, Woodhouse st
Woolsey Geo. Thomas st. & Market st
Wright, Robert, West st
BANKERS.
BANK OF IRELAND (Branch), High st – draws on the Bank of England, London
– Robert Kernahan, agent
BELFAST BANKING CO. (Branch), High st – draws on the Union Bank, London
– Geo. Kinkead, manager
ULSTER BANKING CO. (Branch), High st – draws on Prescott, Cave & Co. &
London & Westminster Bank, London – Hugh Anderson, manager
BLACKSMITHS.
Allen John (& whitesmith), John st
Atkinson John, Woodhouse st
Gallagher Charles, Edenderry
Montgomery James, Edgarstown
Montgomery Joseph, Mary st
Mooney Edward, Obins st
BLEACHERS & FINISHERS.
(See also Linen Manufacturers.)
Cowdy Anthony & Sons (& dyers), Thomas st; works, Greenhall Mills, near Loughgall
Watson, Armstrong & Co. Edenderry Factory, & at Belfast
BOOKSELLERS & STATIONERS.
Byrne Patrick, High st
Farrell S. (& bookbinder), Thomas st. & High st
Kernan John & Son, High st
Lutton William, Edenderry
Reid William (stationer), William st
Thornton David, High st
Wallace, Hugh (stationer), Woodhouse st
Waugh David W. High st
BOOT & SHOE MAKERS.
Boles John, David st
Boles Samuel, Thomas st
Brown James, Woodhouse st
Cochrane Robert, William st
Cooper Thomas, Thomas st
Cummings John, High st
Donaghy Patrick (clogger & clog sole), High st
Fowler Joseph, Woodhouse st
Gray John & Co. (& manufacturerers), High st
Hollywood John, Bridge st
Hoy Joseph, High st
Hunniford James, Woodhouse st
Jenkinson William J., West st
Johnston Charlotte (dealer), High st
Kernan John & Son, High st
Lee Mark, William st
McAteer R. Castle st
McCappin W. Carleton st
McConville John, Bridge st
McLaughlin David, Edenderry
Martin David, Edenderry
Paul William & Son (warehouse), High st
Pentland Edward, Edenderry
Robinson Thomas Mary st
Shillington Averell & Son (warehouse), High st
Trimble Moore (clogger), Bridge st
BRAZIERS & TINSMITHS.
McCoo Michael, Woodhouse st
Wallace Hugh, Woodhouse st
Watson John, West st
BRICK, TILE & SLATE MERCHANTS.
Bright Brothers, Edenderry
Shillington Thos. A. & Son (& cement), Castle st
Tate John, Castle st
BUTCHERS.
Black George, Shambles
Black Hamilton, Shambles
Black Joseph, Shambles
Black Thomas, Shambles
Brownlee William, Shambles
Burns Thomas, Shambles
Campbell John, Woodhouse st
Hoey John jun. Shambles
Hoey Thomas, Shambles
Hughes John, Shambles
Loughran Edward, Woodhouse st
McCorry Hugh, Market st
McNally Edward, Shambles
McNally Thomas, Shambles
Mulholland Daniel, Shambles
Totton Elizabeth, Market st
Totton James, Market st
BUTTER & EGG MERCHANTS.
Benson John, Butter market
Benson Samuel, Butter market
Harvey Brothers, Butter market
Lonsdale James, Butter market
McCambridge James, Butter market
CAMBRIC & LINEN HANDKERCHIEF MANUFACTURERS.
(See also Linen Manufacturers.)
Dawson Thomas, Corcrain House
Forsythe William, Derrymattery
Glass James & Co. David st. & at Lurgan & Belfast
Glass Robert & Co Alma ter. & at Belfast
Gribbin Edward & Sons, Market st
Harden Acheson, Limited, Meadown lane, & at Belfast
Irwin John, Kearn
Kernahan Thomas, Woodhouse st
Lutton A. J. & Son, Edenderry, & at Belfast
Malcolmson & Wilson, Castle st. & at Belfast
Moneypenny & Watson, Cornascrebe
Montgomery John, Derryvore
Reid Robert & Son, Tarson Hall
Robb Hamilton, Edenderry
Sefton J. R. & Co. Edenderry, & at Belfast
Sinton Thos. Thomas st. & at Laurel Vale & Tanderagee
Stewart R. & W. & Co. Edenderry & at Belfast – James McKenzie, agent
Turtle W. J. Bridge st
CARPENTERS.
Allen William, West st
Bailey John, Edenderry
Bright Brothers (builders), Edenderry
Collen Bros. (builders & contractors), Hanover st
Cullen Robert (builder & plasterer), Church st
Dunbar Andrew (& cart builder), Obins street
Hyde James, Cornaleck
Lamb John, Bridge st
Logan James (& builder), Edgarstown
Lutton Richard, Carleton st
Rowney James, Edenderry
Wright Joseph (cabinet maker), Woodhouse st. & Edenderry
CHEMISTS & DRUGGISTS.
Acheson John & Joseph, Market st
Peel Josiah, Market st
Richardson Brothers, 21 High st
CHINA, GLASS & EARTHENWARE DEALERS.
Byrne Patrick, High st
Fowler Benjamin (earthenware), Woodhouse st
Hunt Mary Jane, High st
Livingston Henry, Bridge st
Ross John, Church st. & Obins st
Rountree John 21 High st
CLOTHES DEALERS.
Magennis John, Woodhouse st
Rafferty Francis, Woodhouse st
Saunderson Susannah, Woodhouse st
Woods John, Woodhouse st
COACH BUILDERS.
Atkinson John, Mary st
Locke William John, Woodhouse st
COAL MERCHANTS.
Bright Brothers, Edenderry
Irwin Wilson, Edenderry
Robb Seth, Garvaghy rd
Shillington Thomas A. & Son, Castle st
Tate John, Castle st
COOPERS.
Flannigan Robert, John st
Steenson William, Woodhouse st
CORN MERCHANTS.
Acheson John & Joseph, Market st
Best Thomas, Castle st
Greer James William, Carleton st
Grew James & Co. Edenderry
Johnston James, Edenderry
Loughran Patrick, Mary st
Robb Benjamin (& seed), Thomas st
Shillington Thomas A. & Son, Castle st
White Thomas H. & Co. Castle st
DRIVER MAKERS.
Barris Isaac, Edenderry
Lawson Joseph, West st
DYERS & FINISHERS.
Cowdy Anthony & Sons, Thomas st; works, Greenhall Mills, near Loughgall
FIRE, &c. OFFICE AGENTS.
ACCIDENT—William John Guy, Carleton st
ALLIANCE (fire) – Hugh Anderson, Ulster Bank
CITY OF GLASGOW – John Eccles, Church st
ENGLISH—John M. McCammon, Alma ter. & West st
ENGLISH & SCOTTISH LAW (life) – Wm. John Guy, Carleton st
GRESHAM (life)—James Boyle, Meadow lane
GUARDIAN—John G. Livingston, Bridge street
IMPERIAL (life) – Anthony Cowdy, Thomas st
IMPERIAL (fire)—Anthony Cowdy, jun. Thomas st
INTEGRITY (life)—James E. Campbell, William st
LANCASHIRE & YORKSHIRE ACCIDENT—William John Guy, Carleton st
LIFE ASSOCIATION OF SCOTLAND—Wm. John Guy, Carleton st. & J. Dunville
Coates, Church st
LIVERPOOL & LONDON & GLOBE—Robert Kernahan, Bank of Ireland
LONDON & LANCASHIRE (life)—Isaiah Kilpatrick, Bridge st
LONDON & LANCASHIRE (fire)—John Eccles, Church st. & Arthur Thornton,
Thomas st
MUTUAL (fire)—Henry Shillington, Millicent ter
NATIONAL GUARANTEE & SURETYSHIP—Wm. John Guy, Carleton st
NATIONAL PROVIDENT (life)—Henry Richardson, Market st
NORWICH UNION (life)—James McKell, Market st
PATRIOTIC—Henry Jas. Harris, Church st
PHŒNIX (fire)—William John Guy, Carleton st
PRUDENTIAL (life)—Wm. Reid, William st. & Joseph Tatton, William st
RAILWAY PASSENGERS’—Adam C. Capper, High st
RELIANCE MUTUAL (life – Wm. Lutton, Edenderry, & John M. McCammon, Alma
terrace and West st
ROYAL—T. H. White & Co. Castle st
SCOTTISH AMICABLE—Edward D. Atkinson, Thomas st
SCOTTISH COMMERCIAL—William John Guy, Carleton st
SCOTTISH EQUITABLE (life)—John B. Atkinson, Church st
SCOTTISH IMPERIAL—Jones & Frizelle, William st. & George Locke,
Woodhouse st
SCOTTISH PROVINCIAL—Adam C. Capper, High st
SCOTTISH UNION—Arthur Thornton, thomas st
SCOTTISH WIDOWS’ FUND – George Kinkead, Belfast Bank, & William Henry
Atkinson, Thomas st
STAFFORDSHIRE (fire)—William John Guy, Carleton st
STANDARD (fire) – James I. Annett, Riverside; W. J. Guy, Carleton st. &
Robert Bailey, Hanover st
STANDARD (life) – Hugh Anderson, Ulster Bank
STAR (life) – Hamilton Robb, Edenderry, & Wm. Paul & Son, High st
SUN—Wm. Cowdy, Thomas st
UNITED KINGDOM TEMPERANCE AND GENERAL PROVIDENT—Edward D. Atkinson,
Thomas st
WEST OF ENGLAND—Adam C. Capper, High st
WHITTINGTON (life)—James Trouton, Market st
FLAX MERCHANT.
Sinton Jacob, Annagh ter
FLAX SCUTCHERS.
Magennis James, Drumnicanvy
Walker Redmond W. Obins st
FLAX SPINNERS.
Graham David & Co. (& tow), Portadown Spinning Mills, Castle st
FUNERAL UNDERTAKERS.
Grew M. High st
Shillington Averell & Son, High st
GLASS MERCHANTS.
Richardson Brothers, High st
Shillington Thomas A. & Son, Castle st
GROCERS.
Marked thus * are also Wholesale Grocers.
Acheson John & Joseph, Market st
Alexander John, Woodhouse st
Anderson Robert, Market st
Brown James, Edenderry
Campbell William, Bridge st
Edenderry Factory Operative Store, Edenderry—Robert Gillis, agent
Fowler Benjamin, Woodhouse st
* Fulton John & Sons, Church st
Gardiner Thomas, Edenderry
* Garmany Hugh, Woodhouse st
Greer Joseph, Market st
Grew M. High st
Guinness George, West st
Haire Henry, West st
Hunniford George, Woodhouse st
Hunt Mary Jane, High st
Johnson Alex. High st. & Edenderry
* Jones & Frizelle, William st
Jones William, West st
Keating & Doherty, High st. & Bridge st
Kernahan Thomas, Woodhouse st
Kilpatrick Isaiah, Bridge st
Lamb Alexander, Obins st
Lawson William, Edenderry
Livingston Henry, Bridge st
Locke Brothers, Woodhouse st
Locke George, Woodhouse st
McCann George, Woodhouse st
McClelland Joseph & Co. High st
McDowell Andrew, High st
McIlveen Brothers, High st
McKell James, Market st
Matchett Benjamin, Edgarstown
May Elizabeth, Edenderry
Mitchell William, High st
Moore Jane, Edenderry
Morgan Mary, West st
Morrison Robert, Woodhouse st
Peel Josiah, Market st
Pierson George, High st
Reynolds Alexander, Edenderry
Richardson Brothers, High st
Ripley Mary, Clonnagh
* Ross John, Church st
Ross John, Obins st
Rountree John, High st
* Shemeld Albert & Co. Market st
Stanley Henry, High st
* Thornton Arthur, Thomas st
Thornton, David, High st
Treanor James, Woodhouse st
Trouton James, Market st
Walker David William, Edenderry
Wilson Margaret, Castle st
Wilson Samuel, Edenderry
Woodhouse William, Woodhouse st
Woolsey George, Market st
HAIRDRESSERS.
Lillie George, Woodhouse st
Murray Patrick, West st
HATTERS.
Paul William & Son, High st
Shillington Averell & Son, High st
HAY, STRAW & POTATO EXPORTERS.
Cosgrove Hugh, Thomas st
Jones & Frizelle, William st
Thompson Robert, Edenderry
HOTELS.
(See also Spirit and Porter Dealers.)
Imperial, William Hall, High st
Queen’s Hotel (family, commercial & posting), High st—Mrs. M. Grew,
proprietress—See advertisement
HOUSE, LAND AND ESTATE AGENTS.
Bailey Robert (house), Hanover st
Boyd John (house), Carleton st
Carleton & Atkinson (land), Church st
Guy William John (& accountant), Carleton st
Pentland John S. West st
Russell Thomas (house), Edenderry
IRON MERCHANTS.
Bright Brothers, Edenderry
Shillington Thomas A. and Son, Castle st
IRONMONGERS & HARDWARE MERCHANTS.
Allen William, High st
Bright Brothers, Edenderry
Davidson John, Woodhouse st
Rountree John, High st
Shillington Thomas A. & Son, Castle st
Wallace Hugh, Woodhouse st
LAND, BUILDING & INVESTMENT SOCIETY.
Portadown Building & Investment Co. Limited, High st—Adam C. Capper, secretary
LAND SURVEYORS.
McClatchey Robert (to the Town Commissioners), High st
Pentland John S. West st
Shillington Henry, B.A. (& civil engineer), Millicent terrace
LEATHER SELLERS.
Cummings John, High st
Fowler Joseph, Woodhouse st
Gray John & Co. High st
Hoy Joseph, High st
Kernan John & Son, High st
McConville John, Bridge st
LINEN & COTTON YARD MANUFACTURERS.
Capper Adam C. High st
Irwin Hugh, Castle st
McCammon J. & J. M. West st. and Alma terrace
LINEN & WOOLLEN DRAPERS & HABERDASHERS.
Aiken James, High st
Burnett & Corbett, High st. & West st
Dickson William, Market st
Edenderry Factory Operative Store, Edenderry—Robert Gillis, agent
Forde James, West st
Harpur & Co. High st
Hosey John, Woodhouse st
Johnston Charlotte, High st
McCulla George, Market st
McMullin John, Market st
Paul William & Son (wholesale & retail), High st
Qua Matilda, Woodhouse st
Richardson Brothers, Market st
Shillington Averell & Son, High st
Sinnamon Wm. Henry, West st
LINEN MANUFACTURERS.
(See also Linen Merchants.)
Acheson J. & J. & Co. Bannview Weaving Factory
Bessbrook Spinning Co. Limited, Bridge st; & at Bessbrook
Castle Island Linen Co. Castle Island Factory; & at Belfast
Cowdy Anthony & Sons, Thomas st
Gribbin Edward & Sons, Market st; & at Belfast
Grimshaw & McFadden, Tavanagh Factory
Harden Acheson, Limited, Meadow lane; & at Belfast
Lutton A. J. & Son, Edenderry; & at Belfast
Moneypenny & Watson, Cornascrebe
Montgomery John, Derryvore
Reid Robert & Son, Tarson Hall
Robb Hamilton, Edenderry
Sefton, J. R. & Co. Edenderry; and at Belfast
Sinton Thomas, Thomas st; and at Laurel Vale and Tanderagee
Turtle, W. J. Bridge st
Watson Armstrong & Co. Edenderry Factory; and at Belfast
LINEN MERCHANTS.
Cowdy Anthony & Sons, Thomas st
McCammon J. & J. M. West st & Alma terrace
MANURE MERCHANTS.
See Seed and Manure Merchants.
MILLERS.
Best Thomas, Castle st
Magennis James, Drumnicanvy
Robinson William, Drumnakelly
White Thomas H. & Co. Castle st
MILLINERS & DRESSMAKERS.
Aikin James, High st
Allen Mary, West st
Burnett & Corbett, High st. & West st
Cassells Eliza, West st
Crozier Isabella, Church st
Dickson Wm. Market st
Downing Annie, Bridge st
Fearon Catherine, Market st
Forde James, West st
Harpur & Co. High st
Jamieson Margaret, Edenderry
Johnston Charlotte, High st
Kelly Elizabeth, Carleton st
Lamb Sarah, Bridge st
McMullin John, Market st
Magill Elizabeth, Carleton st
Moneypenny Sarah, Church st
Paul William & Son, High st
Qua Matilda, Woodhouse st
Richardson Brothers, Market st
Shillington Averell & Son, High st
Sinnamon Wm. Henry, West st
Wartley Elizabeth, Woodhouse st
NAIL MAKERS.
Kennedy John, Obins st
McGerrity Hugh, John st
NEWSPAPERS.
Portadown and Lurgan News (Saturday), Thomas st—S. Farrell, printer & publisher
OIL, PAINT & COLOUR MERCHANTS.
Acheson John & Joseph, Market st
Davidson John, Woodhouse st
Peel Josiah, Market st
Shillington Thomas A. & Son, Castle st
Wallace Hugh, Woodhouse st
PAINTERS, PAPERHANGERS & GLAZIERS.
Brady George, Church st
McCullough Joseph, Bridge st
McGee James, West st
Saunderson Robert, West st
Wright Joseph, Woodhouse st. and Edenderry
Wright Thomas, Woodhouse st
PAWNBROKERS.
Alexander John, Woodhouse st
Hunter William, Bridge st
Moore George, Woodhouse st
Orr William, Church st
PHYSICIANS & SURGEONS.
Bredon Alexander M. M.D. Millicent terrace
Dougan George, M.D. High st
Heron Samuel, M.D. Church st
McLoughlin Patrick, Church st
Stanley Henry, M.D. Annagh ter
Stewart William, M.D. Millicent terrace
PLUMBERS & GASFITTERS.
Cochrane William, Thomas st
McCoo Michael, Woodhouse st
PRINTERS—LETTERPRESS.
Farrell S. Thomas st
Lutton William, Edenderry
Reid William, William st
PROVISION MERCHANTS AND DEALERS.
Acheson John & Joseph, Market st
Fulton John & Sons (& curers), Church st
Garmany Hugh, Woodhouse st
McClelland Joseph & Co. High st
Shemeld Albert & Co. (& curers), Market st. & West st
Thornton Arthur, Thomas st
REED MAKERS.
Boyd William, David st
Conlon John, West st
Hunter Henry, Bridge st
McCann Bernard, Corcrain
McKinley Robert, Edenderry
Neal Robert, Edenderry
Neal William & Joseph, Edenderry
ROPE AND TWINE MAKERS.
Irwin Hugh, Castle st
Logan Henry, Edenderry
SADDLERS & HARNESS MAKERS.
Bell John, Market st
Dickson William, Market st
Farris Joseph, Woodhouse st
Mullyn Robert, Woodhouse st
SEED & MANURE MERCHANTS.
Acheson John & Joseph (seed), Market st
Best Thomas (grass seed), Castle st
Davidson John, Woodhouse st
Greer James William, Carleton st
Grew James & Co. (seed), Edenderry
Grew M. High st
Hunt Mary Jane (seed), High st
Peel Josiah, Market st
Robb Benjamin (seed), Thomas st
Thornton Arthur, Thomas st
Thornton David, High st
SEWING MACHINE AGENTS.
Burnett & Corbett (for Bradbury’s), High st. & West st
Paul William & Son (for Singer’s; Wheeler & Wilson’s; & the “Wanzer”),
High st
Richardson Brothers, Market st
Shillington Averell & Son (for Howe’s), High st
SOLICITORS.
Atkinson E. D. & Son (Edward D. Atkinson, coroner for Lurgan district;
William Henry Atkinson, commissioner for taking acknowledgments of deeds
by married women), Thomas st. Portadown; & at Tanderagee, & 13 Lower
Mount st Dublin
Carleton & Atkinson, Church st
Coates J. Dunville, Church st. & at Belfast
Harris Henry James, Church st
SPIRIT AND PORTER DEALERS.
Aldred Levi, Woodhouse st
Brankin John, Obins st
Byrne Charles, Market st
Cummings John, High st
Dickson Henry, Woodhouse st
Fergus Jane, High st
Garmany Hugh, Woodhouse st
Greer Joseph, Market st
Grew M.. High st. & Thomas st
Hall William, High st
Hendron James, Woodhouse st
Holmes Mary Ann, High st
Kelly Margaret, Woodhouse st
Lumley William Henry, Refreshment rooms, Railway station
Lutton Joshua, Market st
McCammon J. M. & J. West st
McCann George, Woodhouse st
McClatchy Amelia, Edenderry
McConnell William, Market st
McConville Henry, West st
McConville John, West st
McCorry Hugh, West st
Montgomery James, Market st
Morgan Mary, West st
Mulligan Timothy, High st
O’Hanlon Felix, High st
Ripley Mary, Clounagh
Thompson James, Obins st
Thornton Arthur, High st
Wilson Richard, Edenderry
Woodhouse William, Woodhouse st
TAILORS AND DRAPERS.
Boyd David, Edenderry
Burnett & Corbett, High st. & West st
Hosey John, Woodhouse st
Irwin Thomas, Mary st
Magennis John, Woodhouse st
Morrison Robert, Carleton st
Paul William & Son (& outfitters), High st
Shillington Averell & Son, High st
Sinnamon William Henry, West st
TALLOW CHANDLERS.
Richardson Brothers, High st
Totton John, Edgarstown
TEMPLE & SHUTTLE MAKERS.
Cooper Robert, Edenderry
Darragh Robert, Thomas st
Megarry Thomas, John st
Nelson Charles, John st
TIMBER & SLATE MERCHANTS.
Bright Bros. (& saw mill), Edenderry
Shillington Thomas A. & Son (& saw, &c. mills), Castle st
TOY & FANCY GOODS DEALERS.
Farell S. Thomas st
Livingston John G. Bridge st
Lutton William, Edenderry
Wallace Hugh, Woodhouse st
WATCH & CLOCK MAKERS.
Carrick Samuel, West st
Gray David, West st
Wallace Hugh (& jeweller), Woodhouse st
WHEELWRIGHTS AND CART MAKERS.
Atkinson John, Mary st
Hyde James, Cornaleck
Locke William John, Woodhouse st
WINE & SPIRIT MERCHANTS.
Gilbey W. & A. West st—J. M. & J. McCammon, agents
Grew M. Thomas st. & High st
Hall William, High st
Thornton Arthur, High st
WOOD TURNERS.
Barris Isaac, Edenderry
Cooper Robert, Edenderry
WOOLLEN DRAPERS.
See Linen & Woollen Drapers, also Tailors and Drapers.
YARN MERCHANTS.
See Linen and Cotton Yarn Merchants.
MISCELLANEOUS.
Alexander John, relieving officer, Woodhouse st
Bright Bros. engineers, ironfounders & agricultural implement makers, Edenderry
Eccles John, clerk of the petty sessions, Carleton st
Glasgow Rev. James, D.D. professor of Oriental languages, St. Amand pl
Irwin Wilson, lighter owner, & carrier by water to Newry, Edenderry
Jones William, sub-inspector of police, Church st
Livingston Henry, registry office for servants, Bridge st
Locke William John, agricultural implement maker, Woodhouse st
McCachey Joseph, hide & skin dealer, Obins st
McClatchey Robert, town clerk & surveyor, Woodhouse st
McConachie Margaret, baby linen warehouse, Bridge st
McCourt Patrick, poulterer, Obins st
McCulla George, temperance hotel, William st
Major John, inland revenue officer, Church st
Park Nursery Co. nurserymen, Garvaghy rd—William J. Guy, proprietor
Patterson John & Co. photographers, naturalists & picture framers,
Woodhouse st
Portadown Discount Co. Limited, Meadow ln—Jas. Boyle, secretary
Shillington Thomas A. & Son, boat builders & salt merchants, Castle st
Stewart Wm. M.D. registrar of births, deaths & marriages, Thomas st
Tate John, lighter owner, Castle st
Thornton Arthur, cane merchant, Thomas st
PUBLIC BUILDINGS, OFFICES, &C.
---------------
PLACES OF WORSHIP
AND THEIR MINISTERS.
PROTESTANT EPISCOPAL CHURCHES: —
St. Mark’s, Church st—Rev. Augustine Fitzgerald, A.M. incumbent; Rev.
E. W. Hobson, A.M. curate
Drumcree—Rev. ---Twibble, a.b. rector; Rev. W.J.F. Whelan, B.A. curate
Seagoe—Rev. Abraham Dawson, A.M. rector; George Lodge, A.B. curate
PRESBYTERIAN CHURCHES:--
Armagh rd—Rev. Saml. Andrews M.A.
Bridge st, Edenderry—Rev. Leonard D. Elliott, M.A. & Rev. Robert Vint, B.A.
West st (United)—Rev. John L. Murray
METHODIST (Primitive) CHAPEL, Mary st—Rev. Powles Carrick
METHODIST CHAPEL, Thomas st—Rev. Hugh McGahie & Rev. Robt S. Lee
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCHES: —
St. Patrick’s, William st—Rev. Lawrence Byrne, administrator; Rev. John
O’Donnell, c.c.
Drumcree & Edenderry
---------------
TOWN COMMISSIONERS.
Office, Town Hall, High Street
Chairman—Wm. John Paul, Esq.
Town Clerk and Surveyor—Robert McClatchey
Town Constable and Sub-Sanitary Officer—Henry Grimason
---------------
PORTADOWN YOUNG MEN’S ASSOCIATION.
President—Mr. Charles Johnston
Treasurer—James McKell
Honorary Secretaries—Messrs. R. M. Lindsay & H. Robb, jun.
---------------
Constabulary Station, Woodhouse st—William Jones, sub-inspector; Wm
Porter, head constable
Constabulary Station, Edenderry—Patrick Hogan, constable
Coroner’s Office, Thomas st—Edward D. Atkinson, coroner
Court House, High st—Dawson Stewart, keeper
Dispensary, Thomas st—Wm. Stewart M.D. surgeon
Fever Hospital, Armagh rd
Meat, Butter & Egg Market, William st—Edward Dougan, weigh master
Observatory, Duneglish—Rev. Thos. Buchanan, astronomer
Orange Hall, Carleton st
Petty Sessions Office, Church st—John Eccles, clerk
Portadown Gaslight Co.—Gas Works, Edenderry—Geroge Kinkead, sec; William
Tait, manager
Public Library & Reading Room, Bridge st—George Kinkead, Esq. president;
Charles Johnston, Esq. vice-president; Mr. A. Shillington, jun.
Treasurer; Mr. James McKell, secretary; William Hunter, librarian
Public Weighing Machine, William st—Edward Dougan, weigh master
Stamp Office, High st—Averell Shillington & Son, sub-distributors
Town Hall, High st
CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY,
ON THE GREAT NORTHERN AND ULSTER LINES.
Station, EDENDERRY—Thos. Johnston, station master; good station,
Woodhouse st—John Hobson, agent
Omnibuses from the Queen’s & Imperial Hotels attend the arrival and
departure of all trains

Source: Slater’s Royal National Commercial Directory of Ireland;
compiled, printed and published by Isaac Slater [Royal National
Directory Offices, Manchester; 1881], pp 474-9.
Transcribed by Alison Causton, Kingsville, Ontario, Canada, and intended
SOLELY for non-commercial, private research.

This thread: