Archiver > NIR-ARMAGH > 2002-02 > 1014813778

From: Alison Causton <>
Subject: [ARMAGH] Tandragee - Bradshaw's Directory (1820)
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 07:51:11 -0500

The following transcription provides only an "historical account" for
the town of Tandragee. It lacks the business directory provided in
Bradshaw's 1820 publication.

Please remember to cite the bibliographic reference given at the end of
this posting, in any subsequent usage of this information.




TANDRAGEE, a market town in the county of Armagh, is situated eleven
miles north of Newry, nine west from Armagh, seven and a half south-west
from Lurgan, four south from Portadown, and about twenty-four south-west
from Belfast.—It consists principally of one long and wide street, upon
the south-eastern side of a hill, with a spacious market-place near the
upper end. It is very beautifully situated, in a fine, populous and
improved country—sheltered from the prevailing winds by fine trees, and
almost surrounded by the picturesque and highly ornamented demense [sic]
of Miss Sparrow, and that of the Rev. Dean Carter. On the top of the
hill, there is a long and very handsome public walk, overshadowed by a
row of the finest lime-trees in the kingdom. There is a very handsome
church, surrounded by trees, finely situated on high ground, which
deserves to be visited by travellers. It was built within these few
years, on the site of an old church, which had become ruinous and too
small for the congregation. The funds appropriated for its erection,
having been unequal to its completion, it has ver lately been finished
at the sole expense of Miss Sparrow, the munificent proprietor of the
town and large adjoining estate. It is a Gothic building, of great
simplicity and elegance, with a high tower and pinnacles, which forms a
beautiful object to the surrounding country. The interior is fitted up
with singular taste; and on the whole, it is one of the handsomest and
most convenient parish churches in the kingdom. In the centre of the
town, there is also a neat and convenient Methodist chapel.

The mansion house, usually called the castle, is situate close to the
town and church, upon the top of a steep bank, which commands a
beautiful view of the romantic and finely wooded demesne. It was built
some time ago, on the site of an old castle, formerly the residence of
the chief of the sept of the O’Hanlons, and afterwards of the St. Johns,
to the ancestor of whom, Lord Grandison, lord-deputy of Ireland, it was
granted by Queen Elizabeth, and has, with the estates, descended to the
present proprietor, Miss Sparrow—the only remaining representative of
that ancient and illustrious family.—The river Cusier passes near the
lower end of the town. It is a fine stream, and runs through beautiful
wooded banks, from the Fews mountains, where it rises, until it falls
into the river Bann, near Portadown; giving motion to a great number of
mills and bleach works, and sending off, near the town, the principal
supply to the Newry canal.

There has been, in addition to the fine ancient woods near the town, a
very great number of new plantations made, which already are making a
beautiful appearance. Miss Sparrow has lately built a very handsome
school-house, for the eduction of thirty boys and thirty girls, to be
supported entirely at her own expense – This building forms a fine
object from many points of view. Near the town stands the glebe-house,
at present occupied by the Rev. Thomas Carter, Dean of Tuam, and rector
of the parish. It is finely situated on a bold eminence, and commands a
delightful prospect. The country around Tandragee has been long
celebrated for the manufacture of the best description of middle-priced
yard wide linens in the kingdom, which are sold in the market, to a very
large amount, every Wednesday. The market is one of the largest in the
county, and the weekly sales fall very little short of £7,000. The
principal articles of trade are linens, yarn, butter, flax, flour and
all sorts of provisions, with some cattle and pigs, and, in the season,
a very great quantity of pork, which is mostly bought up for the Belfast
and Newry markets.

Spacious as the street and market place is, it is thronged every
Wednesday with such busy crowds as are astonishing to strangers; and the
dealers frequenting it, are particularly commendable for their
correctness and punctuality. There are four fairs in the year—on the
5th day of July and 5th of November, and on the first Wednesday in
February and May, at which great number of horses and black cattle, &c.
are disposed of. The Newry navigation passes within a mile of the town,
and affords an easy conveyance, for weighty goods to and from Newry, and
the country around Lough Neagh.

The post arrives daily at half-past eight o’clock in the morning, and is
despatched at five in the afternoon.

The population of Tandragee amounts to about 1,200, of whom about
two-thirds are Protestants. The town contains a great number of
well-supplied shops, and has been, for some years, increasing in
business and respectability. The flax which is sold in this market,
nearly to the amount of 2000 stones weekly, is reckoned the best in Ireland.

Source: General Directory of Newry, Armagh and the Towns of… For 1820;
by Thomas Bradshaw [printed by Alexander Wilkinson at Telegraph-Office,
Newry; 1819], pp 95-7.
Transcribed by Alison Causton, Kingsville, Ontario, Canada, and intended
SOLELY for non-commercial, private research.

This thread: