NIR-ARMAGH-L ArchivesArchiver > NIR-ARMAGH > 2002-03 > 1015259580
From: Alison Causton <>
Subject: [ARMAGH] Newry - Bradshaw's Directory (1820)
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 11:33:00 -0500
The following transcription provides only an "historical account" for
the town of Newry. It lacks the business directory provided in
Bradshaw's 1820 publication.
Please remember to cite the bibliographic reference given at the end of
this posting, in any subsequent usage of this information.
TOWN OF NEWRY
NEWRY is situated in latitude 54° 10' north, and longitude 6° 16' west.
It stands on a small river, called the Newry Water, which has its source
in Drumlough, near the town of Rathfriland, in the barony of Upper
Iveagh. This river meets the tide at Newry, and forms the boundary
between the counties of Down and Armagh.
Newry is 50 miles distant from Dublin, 30 from Belfast, and 14-1/2 from
Armagh. Formerly the principal part of the town stood immediately along
the side of a steep hill, which stretches nearly north and south; but
since its commerce became more considerable, in consquence of the
improvement made in its navigation, the streets have extended in the
direction of the river and canal. Since the river and tide have been
confined by embankments, many good houses have been built on ground
formerly flooded by the tide.
Charles Havern, a man of one hundred and eleven years ago, remembered
when the Low Ground was altogether a marsh; and afterwards when there
were two bleach-greens where the coffee-room now stands.
So as late as the year 1700, Mill-street contained only six or seven
slated houses. Market-street had a few of the same description; but the
rest were merely thatched cabins. At this time the town was surrounded
by woods. A large piece of timber was placed over the ford of
Sugar-island, for the accommodation of foot-passengers, by a person
named Murphy. In consequence of this, the stone bridge afterwards built
over the river, at this place, bore the name of Mudda-Murphy-bridge, or
the bridge of Murphys stick. It is a good bridge of five arches.
Formerly there were ten arches; but five of them being of no use for
venting the water, it was thought unnecessary to retain them.
The road through the town northwards formerly lay through Ballybot,
Mill-street, Market-street and High-street, and united with the
Banbridge road as Stream street. But latterly the line of road has been
much improved by a new cut, in the direction of the river, along the
level between the turnpike and the Low Ground. The line to Rathfriland
has also been improved by a cut more northward, which meets the
Banbridge road at the end of the town. The old line runs through
High-street, Church-street, and Pound-street.
Above the town, the former Dublin road was very steep and difficult for
horses drawing loaded cars and carriages. A considerable time ago, the
line was much improved by a cut more west-ward, which has made the
ascent more gradual and easy. The Dublin bridge, by which this road
unites with the body of the town, was lately rebuilt, and rendered much
handsomer than the old one.
A little below this bridge, there are some remains of a ford observable,
by which there had formerly been a passage over the river, at low water.
The most considerable ancient establishment at Newry was the monastery,
which deserves to be particularly mentioned on account of the subsequent
appropriation of its privileges and possessions.
In the year 1157, an abbey of Cistercian monks, dedicated to St. Mary
and St. Patrick, was founded at Newry, by Maurice Mac Loughlin, king of
Ireland. But it is recorded, that in 1162, the abbey and a library
connected with it, were consumed by fire.The endowments were confirmed
by Hugh de Lacy, earl of Ulster, in 1237.
This abbey flourished until the reign of Henry VIII. who changed its
constitution into that of a collegiate church for secular priests, in
the year 1543, at the suit of Sir Arthur Magenis, who was at the time
knighted, and received £50 of the kings bounty. The college consisted
of a warden and vicars choral. Henry granted to them a confirmation of
all their possessions, in his thirtieth year, reserving to the crown a
yearly rent of four marks.
The Latin name of the abbey was Nevoracense Mansterium. In the
foundation charter, it is called Ibar Cyn tracta, that is, the
flourishing head of a yew tree. The reason why it obtained this
designation appears from an old tradition, that two large yew trees grew
within the precincts of the abbey. From this circumstance, it was
called, in the barbarous Latin of the age, Monasterium de viridi ligno,
and in Irish, Na Jur, or the yew trees. This gave occasion to the
plural appellation, by which it was afterwards more commonly known, the
Newries. The authors of the old county Down survey, who wrote about the
year 1740, state, that it was still fresh in the memories of some
ancient inhabitants of the town, that in the year 1688, certain English
soldiers, in burying their dead, discovered, in the south-east quarter
of the abbey, the stumps of some trees of fine wood; and without regard
to the place, rooted up and converted them to several domestic utensils,
the wood being red and bearing a fine polish.
This abbey was situated in Castle-street, at the head of the street
which is opposite to the new church. Part of the building still
remains, and is at present occupied as two dwelling houses. The walls
are extremely thick and strong; and the alterations in the building
which have been made in modern times were attended with unusual
difficulty and labour. Within the last sixty years, there was a very
massive stone stair-case outside the building. It was no easy task to
take this down, owing to the extreme hardness and solidity of the work.
It is said that the men employed found it necessary to blow it up with gunpowder.
Large quantities of human bones, some of them of very uncommon size,
have been dug up at different times, both in front and rear of this
edifice, a circumstance which proves that the ground continuous to the
abbey had been appropriated to the burying of the dead. About eighty or
ninety years ago, a merchant of the town, on digging foundations with
the precinct of the ancient abbey, found a human skeleton, seven feet in
length.Some remains of shoes, which bore the impression of buckles, and
some remnants, probably of the shroud were discovered (Footnote: It is
said that formerly abbots and bishops were buried in their shoes).
Several fragments of stones, with heads and other figures rudely
sculptured upon them, are to be seen in some of the adjacent buildings.
These formerly belonged to the buildings of the abbey.
After Henry VIII. had disclaimed subjection to the papal see, the
college was dissolved; and in the succeeding reign of Edward VI. the
lordship was granted to Marshal Bagnal, who made the abbey his place of residence.
A mitred abbot formerly possessed the lordships of Newry and Mourne, in
which he exercised episcopal jurisdiction. On the dissolution of the
abbey, the powers and privileges enjoyed by the lord abbot devolved on
the temporal proprietor, Sir Nicholas Bagnal, to whom a patent was
granted by Edward VI. on account of his excellent services, as marshal
of Ireland. He rebuilt the town, and strengthened it with castles and
other defences. He also built the church, the steeple of which bears
the Bagnal arms, cut in stone, dated 1578. Within its walls his remains
were afterward interred.
The patent granted to Sir Nicholas Bagnal expresses the nature and
extent of the grant briefly, and principally in general terms. But the
letters patent granted by James I. anno 1613, to Arthur Bagnal, Esq. are
full and explicit, and recite particularly the townlands included in the
grant, the privileges to be enjoyed, and the jurisdiction to be
exercised within the manors. The proprietor being entitled to the
several immunities and privileges enjoyed under the former
ecclesiastical establishment, is permitted to use in his court the seal
of the ancient charter, on which is represented a mitred abbot in his
albe, sitting in his chair, supported by two yew trees, with this
inscriptionSigillum exempt jurisdictionis de viridi ligno, alias,
Newry et Mourne.
The patent grants to Arthur Bagnal, Esq. his heir and assigns, the town
of Newry, with all the demesne lands of the dissolved monastery the
manor, lordship and castle of Greencastle the lordship, country or
territory of Mourne, with two islands in the main sea the manor of
Carlingford and Killowenthe customs of anchorage, and certain customs
of goods and merchandize imported into or exported form Carlingford
the territory of Omeath, and all wrecks of sea, happening upon these properties.
It grants a market at Newry, to be held every Thursday, with tolls,
customs and commodities: also a custom or toll of six gallons from
every butt of wine called sack, and three and a half gallons from every
hogshead of wine sold in Newry; three gallons from every barrel of ale,
and 4d. out of every barrel of saltand the assize of bread and wine in
the town of Newry.
It grants to the patentee, to hold, by his seneschal, a court at Newry,
to determine causes of debt, trespass, &c. when the sum shall not exceed
£66 13s. 4d. and also all the profits and fines appertaining to the said
court. It grants all fines and amercements which shall be imposed,
assessed, adjudged and decreed at any assizes or sessions to be held in
the county, upon any of the inhabitants of the manor.
It permits a court to be held at Greencastle, to hold pleas of actions,
not exceeding forty pounds sterling; and a court at Carlingford for
actions not exceeding £10.
It grants also a court baron to be held from three weeks to three weeks,
to hold pleas of debt, tresspass [sic], &c. not exceeding £40. Likewise
a court-leet twice a year, in Newry and Mournetogether with all the
profits, fines, &c. arising out of the same.
The patent further grants two fairs to be held at Newry yearly, each for
three days; and at Greencastle a weekly market on Friday, and one fair
in the year, with courts of pipowdertogether with all the tolls and
customs belonging to the same; requiring from the patentee 6s. 8d.
yearly for the privilege of holding these markets and fairs, and of
appointing the clerks of the markets.
The lord of the manors, it is said, can command the sheriff not to carry
his rod of office through his domains even before the judges. He has
power to discharge, by his receipt, all recognisances forfeited within
his jurisdiction, if the offenders shall have resided therein six weeks
prior to the forfeiture: and the sum forfeited he can order to be paid
into his own treasury in lieu of the kings exchequer.
He appoints bailiffs, who serve writs, &c. so that no bailiff, sheriff,
or minister of the crown shall enter on the manors, to execute and serve
writs, &c. which ought to be executed or served therein, except for the
default of those bailiffs.
By virtue of his patent, the proprietor is entitled to the tithes of the
lordship of Newry, and has the right of presentation to the rectory of
Mourne. He is ex officio rector of Newry; and, by his vicar general and
surrogate, grants probates of wills, letters of administration, letters
of tutelage, and marriage licenses, and transacts the usual business of
an ecclesiastical court, with as plenary and indisputable powers as any
other ecclesiastical court in Ireland. He appoints a vicar to discharge
the ministerial duties, to whom he pays a salary. And as by virtue of
his patent, he enjoys all episcopal powers, which can possibly vest in a
layman, the vicar is responsible for his conduct to him alone, and is
not subject to the jurisdiction either of bishop or primate.
After reciting the several particulars of the grant, the patent states,
And we do give, bargain and confirm unto the said Arthur Bagnal, his
heirs and assigns, all and singular and so many and the like court
leets, frank pledge, law days, rights, jurisdictions, liberties,
privileges, &c. in as large, ample, and beneficial a manner as any
abbot, prior, or convent, or other chief head or governor of the late
dissolved monastery heretofore seized, held or enjoyed, &c. so that
all the privileges and immunities, of whatsoever kind, that formerly
were enjoyed by the abbots of Newry, were transferred to the patentee,
his heirs and assigns.
In King Jamess patent, there is an exception made of certain lands and
tenements which had been granted by Sir Nicholas and Sir Henry Bagnal,
(reserving, however, the tithes and royalties,) to Patrick Creely, of
Newry, in fee firm, by indenture of feoffment, dated the 20th of June,
1588, and two water mills in the town of Newry, with the water-courses,
&c. and also two wears in the river Claarye, near the town, in which
salmon and eels had been commonly taken. It appears that this Creely,
in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, built the castle, afterwards called
Lord Hillsboroughs castle. He was bound to pay to Bagnal, his heirs
and assigns, a chiefrie of £9 6s. 8d. per annum. This property,
included in the townland of Cornebaugh, was purchased from the heirs of
Creely by Mr. Hill, the ancestor of the present Marquis of Downshire.
The manors of Newry, Mourne and Carlingford, having been enjoyed by the
Bagnal family, for upwards of a century, were latterly shared by two
proprietors, Robert Nedham and Edward Bayly, in whom they vested by the
will of their father-in-law, Nicholas Bagnal. In 1715, they were
divided. The Down and Armagh estates fell to Nedham, and the Louth to
Bayly. Edward Bayly was great-grandfather to the present proprietor,
the Earl of Uxbridge. The next, Robert Nedham, on his decease, left two
sons. George, the elder, sold part of the estate to enable him to
discharge certain debts with which it was encumbered; having, for this
purpose, procured an act of Parliament. William not having married, nor
having any near male relations, left the estate by will to the
predecessor of the present proprietor, Francis Needham, Viscount
Kilmorey. His lordships income, arising from the Newry and Mourne
estates, amounts at present to about £15,000.
The town of Newry was reduced to a very ruinous condition in the
rebellion of 1641. It was surprised by Sir Con Magenis, at the breaking
out of the rebellion, and continued in his possession ten weeks, after
which it was retaken by Lord Conway. At this time, the inhabitants
suffered many grievous hardships.
After the restoration, the town was rebuilt, and improved considerably;
till in 1689, it was burned by the Duke of Berwick, the better to enable
him to secure his retreat before the English forces under the command of
the Duke of Schomberg. The castle and five or six houses only escaped
The church was demolished in 1641; the walls and steeple, however, were
suffered to remain. It continued in this ruinous state till after the
restoration, when one half of the church, together with the vestry was
covered. About the year 1720, the other half of it was repaired; and in
1729, the roof was taken off, and the walls raised six feet higher, to
make room for a gallery. Around the church is the ground in which the
Protestants of the town and its vicinity bury their dead.
It appears from King Jamess patent, that besides the church in the town
there were two chapels connected with it, belonging to the parish, one
called Templegiveron, and the other Castlenegan.
The old church not being conveniently situated nor sufficiently large
enough, a new one has lately been erected in a more convenient
situation, and on a larger plan. The first stone of this church, which
is named St. Marys, was laid by the Rev. Charles Campbell, vicar of
Newry, on the 17th of October, 1810. It was opened for Divine service
on the 21st of November, 1819.
The church is built in the Gothic style, of excellent hammered granite,
procured in the neighbourhood of the town. The size of the building
within is 75 feet by 51, exclusive of the chancel. The height of the
steeple and spire is about 190 feet.
The ancient Presbyterian meeting-house was situated at a place still
called Meeting-house Rocks, near the turnpike, on the Belfast road,
about three quarters of a mile from town. It was built probably about
the year 1650.
The present commodious structure in High-street, was erected in the year
1722; excepting the south aisle, which was added about forty years
afterwards. In the meeting-house yard, there is an excellent dial, made
by Adams, of London, and presented to the congregation by Mr. Robert
Wallace, of Croban, in the year 1757.It appears, that, for a
considerable time prior to the revolution, and after it, the
congregation had for minister, the Rev. George Lang, of Carmeen. The
next minister was the Rev. Robert Rainey, who continued in the charge
till 1739. The Rev. James Moody, who had been previously minister of
Maherally, succeeded, and died in 1772, having been minister forty
years. The Rev. Boyle Moody, his son, having succeeded to the charge,
died in February, 1799. His successor, the Rev. John Thom, who had been
invited from Scotland, became minister in 1800, and died in July, 1808.
The Rev. A. G. Malcom, D.D. great grandson of the Rev. George Lang, and
also kinsman of the Messrs. Moody, was installed in March, 1809. He had
previously been minister of the congregation of Dunmurry.
The number of families belonging to the Presbyterian congregation,
amount to nearly 400.
The present Catholic chapel is situated at that extremity of
Boat-street, which is now denominated Chapel-street, on a rising ground,
at the bottom of which the former chapel had stood. It was built in
1789, and the inhabitants of Newry, of all religious denominations,
contributed very liberally to it. It is a large, well built house, with
three galleries, and has a spacious burying ground connected with it,
part of which was given by the late Lord Kilmorey. The former cemetery,
and the most ancient Catholic chapel of the town were situated in
Boat-street, as the place now occupied as a potato-market. This chapel
was that which appertained to the monastery; and some remains of it were
standing about eighty years ago. On opening the street and levelling
the ground at this place, (a thing which occasioned murmuring,) great
heaps of human remains were displaced, of which large quantities were
carried away and deposited in the present Catholic burying ground. Much
of the earth raised on this occasion was taken to fill up a large hollow
between Boat-street and the Dublin bridge.
The ground for the new chapel was given by Mr. Needham; and the present
Lord Kilmorey presented the parish with a handsome organ, which is now
used by them in public worship.
Doctor Lennan left £30 a year to a clergyman to perform divine service
in the chapel of Newry, every day, for ever. Mr. Fitzsimons, of Newry,
also bequeathed an equal sum for the same purpose; so that every day
there are two services in the chapel, and on Sundays and holidays three.
Opposite to the chapel is a Catholic school-house, built about fourteen
years ago. Dr. Lennan had left £600(?) in the 5 per cents, to endow the
school, with permission to his executors to subtract £100 from it toward
building a school-house. The executors, however, not wishing to break
the original sum, succeeded in building a good school-house by other means.
There is a meeting-house of Seceders of the associate synod, situated
off Church-street, with a burying ground adjoining. Mr. Needham gave
the ground for 6d. a year rent. The first congregation of Seceders was
formed here about the year 1750.
In William-street there is a Methodist chapel, which has lately been
made a very comfortable place of worship.The present preachers are, the
Rev. George Stephenson and the Rev. Edward Cobain.
The old custom-house, a very good building, is situated on the river,
opposite to what was formerly the lowest lock of the canal. It has
latterly been occupied as a fever hospital. The present custom-house
stands on the Merchants-quay, and is a plain building. Lately,
extensive and well-built stores have been erected in the adjoining yard.
The court-house is situated in Hill-street, and was formerly a
market-house, built by private subscription. But no lease having been
procured, it became the property of the Downshire family. It was
altered into a sessions-house about the year 1805. Though in a central
situation, it is, at present, rather injurious to the appearance of the
street in which it stands, being an awkward old building. If it were
removed, and bridges erected over the river and the canal, opposite
Margaret-street, a considerable improvement would be thus effected in
that part of the town.
The sessions-house in Ballybot has a good gaol connected with it. The
only place of confinement in the County Down side, consists of two small
cells under the Boat-street market-house.
The house containing the news-room and ball-room was built by some
gentlemen of the town and neighbourhood, in 1794. A variety of
newspapers and other publications are read at the news-room. The room
is furnished with an excellent Atlas and barometer, a gazeteer, army and
navy lists, &c. &c. Exchange is held in it every Thursday. It is open
for all strangers. The rent and other charges are defrayed by the
annual contributrions of the subscribers.
The theatre was built by Mr. Betterton, about the year 1783, by
subscription. Tickets of admission were granted to the subscribers,
according to the sums subscribed. But an ejectment for non-payment of
rent having issued, the property of the subscribers was lost.
The present barrack was built by a company of gentlemen, originally for
a white linen-hall. The design not having succeeded, the concern was
sold to government for about one-third of what it had cost, which was
about £14,000. The buildings are remarkably well adapted to the uses to
which they are at present applied. It is thought, that they could not
have been better planned, even if they had at first been designed for a
military purpose. They are equal to the accommodation of 1144 men.
There is, however, a separate barrack for the officers in the street
The old butter-crane was situated in Boat-street. The place being too
far distant from the canal, and otherwise incommodious, the late Lord
Kilmorey erected a new one on the canal, at Ballybot bridge, which is
large and convenient, and well adapted to the trade. A commodious corn
market-house has also been erected in Ballybot.
On the 16th of August, 1813, a Lancasterian school was established in
Newry, under the patronage of a number of ladies. On an average, 140
children give regular attendance. They are charged one penny a week for
their tuition. The school is at present held in the room above the meal
market-house; but the inhabitants of Newry look forward to a much more
perfect establishment for the education of the poor.
A work school for the benefit of female children has also been
established by the ladies of Newry. A room was taken in Hide-street,
and a mistress engaged, who attends three hours daily, to instruct the
children in the several kinds of needle work. About twenty girls, who
attend the Lancasterian school in the morning, are taught in this place.
In the year 1809, a Reading Society was formed in Newry. Each member,
besides the sum required on admission, pays one guinea per annum. This
money is applied to paying a librarian and purchasing books.
In 1812, a Bible Society was established, forming a branch of the
Hibernian Bible Society. Lord Kilmore is president. The repository is
at Surgeon Millers, in Market-street.
In 1814, a Humane Society, for the recovery of persons apparently dead,
was established. This was imperiously called for by the many afflicting
instances of death occasioned by drowning, which had of late years
occurred in Newry.The society have purchased an excellent resuscitative
apparatus, and have appointed a number of receiving houses in convenient
situations. They have also published cards of instruction for restoring
A company, named The Newry Amicable Annuity Company, was established
in 1770. Its object is to provide an annuity for the widows of the
members. At present the capital is upwards of £25,000; the number of
members one hundred, and the number of annuities twenty-eight. The
company pay, from year to year, whatever sum the interest of the capital
appears to authorize. At present the widows receive £56. the admission
money and subscriptions go to the augmentation of the stock. The monies
of the company are lent on private security; maiden mortgages of lands
only being accepted.
There are two classical schools at present in Newry, which are very well attended.
A public bakery has for some years been carried on in Newry, which has
been of considerable utility in regulating the assize of bread.
There are at present two large distilleries in Newry. The old one,
though not working at present, is one of the most complete concerns of
the kind in Ireland. The distillery in Monaghan-street, is as perfect
as possible, and produces excellent whiskey. In Ballybot, there are two
extensive breweries, both of which are working at present.
Near Violet-hill there is an establishment for the manufacture of
spades, shovels, and rod and hoop iron; and in Newry there is a foundry
for casting brass and iron.
The consequence of the town of Newry, is best ascertained by its
commerce. This is very considerable; and is partly to be attributed to
the excellence of the navigation, and partly to the geographical
situation of that town, which is naturally connected with several
flourishing counties, particularly Armagh, Down, Monaghan, Louth, Cavan,
Fermanagh and Tyrone.
The total tonnage invoiced yearly at the port of Newry, amounts to
The revenue of the port and district of Newry, yearly, in customs,
excise and stamps, amounts to 270,000l. the customs being taken at
123,000l. the excise at 125,000l. and the stamps at 22,000l.
The quantity of flaxseed imported, when the trade is open, is very
considerable. On an average, it may be taken at 9,000 hogsheads, yearly.
Newry has a very considerable export of butter, provisions, and linen
cloth. The export of the former, may annually be rated at 80,000 casks,
average 3l. 10s. per cask. Besides this, there are from 1000 to 1200
crocks sold at the crane, for home consumption, average 1l. 5s. per crock.
>From the first of October, 1813, till the first of July, 1814, there
were exported from Newry, 1285 tierces of beef, 1960 barrels of pork,
and 600 bales of bacon.
In 1814, there were exported 23,350 barrels of oats of 14 stone4546
barrels of wheat of 20 stone2760 packs and boxes of linen2600 bales of
flax, average weight, 4 cwt. 2 qrs.3942 pigs, and 698 cows, besides
sheep and horses, large quantities of feathers, bran, tanners waste,
horns, &c.The entire export may be valued at one million annually.
It appears from the patent, that in the reign of James I. the town of
Newry contained about 300 edifices. At present, the number may be
stated to be about 2,500, and the number of inhabitants 13,000.
The town has a very considerable market for linens, butter, flax, oats,
pigs, potatoes, &c. The linen market at present averages about £5,000.
Newry has two fairs, and Ballybot, also called Southwark, may hold four
in the year. The latter were obtained many years ago, at the instance
of two considerable merchants named O Hear, but are not now held.
Arrival and Departure of the different Mail and Stage Coaches.
The Belfast and Dublin Royal Day Mail starts from the office, No. 10,
Castle-street, Belfast, every morning at 5 oclock; breakfasts at Newry,
and arrives at the Waterford Hotel, Sackville-street at 7 oclock in the
evening; from whence it starts for Belfast, at 7 every morning, dines at
Newry, and arrives in Belfast at half past 9 in the evening.
The Belfast and Dublin Royal Night Mail starts from the above office in
Belfast, every day, at 4 in the afternoon; arrives in Newry at half past
9, and in Dublin, at the same office as the above coach, at 7 oclock
next morning; from whence it starts for Belfast at 8 oclock in the
evening, breakfasts next morning in Newry, and arrives in Belfast at 11.
The Lark Day Coach starts from Williamss Hotel, Newry, precisely at 7
oclock every morning, breakfasts at Dundalk, and arrives in Dublin at 5
in the evening, at No. 6, Bolton-street; starts every morning at 7
oclock for Newry.
The Armagh Coach starts from Mrs. Hillans Hotel, Water-street, Newry,
every evening, and leaves McKeans inn, Armagh, for Newry, at 6 oclock
in the morning.
The Downpatrick Coach starts from Mrs. Hillans Hotel on the mornings of
Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; returns every Tuesday, Thursday, and
Sunday, from Mr. Wards, Downpatrick.
Conveyances by Water.
Three packets, The St. Patrick, Captain Whyley, The Marquis, Captain
Hall, and The Mary, Captain Gooden, sail with passengers, &c. from
Warrenpoint to Liverpool, and return alternately.
A few years ago, a passage boat was built by several gentlemen, to ply
between Newry and Knock-bridge, on the Newry canal. It leaves Newry
every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, and returns every Monday,
Wednesday, and Friday.
Source: General Directory of Newry, Armagh and the Towns of For 1820;
by Thomas Bradshaw [printed by Alexander Wilkinson at Telegraph-Office,
Newry; 1819], pp vii-xxiii.
Transcribedby Alison Causton, Kingsville, Ontario, Canada, and intended
SOLELY for non-commercial, private research.
|[ARMAGH] Newry - Bradshaw's Directory (1820) by Alison Causton <>|