NIR-ARMAGH-L Archives

Archiver > NIR-ARMAGH > 2002-03 > 1015460597

From: Alison Causton <>
Subject: [ARMAGH] NEWS: KILPATRICK, HUTTON, ROBINSON - Accident - Markethill - Dec 1844
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 19:23:17 -0500

- The following general-interest news article has been transcribed from
The Armagh Guardian (31 December 1844; microform), by permission of The
British Library.
- This reprint is intended SOLELY for the non-commercial use of family
historians, with the sincere hope that a Lister may find the content useful.
- Please refer any questions arising from this article to the general readership
of the NIR-ARMAGH mailing list.
- I am not descended from the person(s) mentioned herein.

=====
SERIOUS ACCIDENT.--We are sorry to report that an accident
of a very serious nature occurred a few days ago in a flax mill
belonging to Mr. James KILPATRICK, of Ballylane, in the
neighbourhood of Markethill. A young man named HUTTON, who
was employed attending the steam engine, by some oversight,
allowed his arm to come in contact with the handles, when the
member was actually severed from the body, a few inches
below the shoulder. The sufferer was immediately conveyed to
the county infirmary, where he was promptly attended to by
Dr. ROBINSON, who after carefully examining the injury,
decided that excision of the shoulder joint was absolutely necessary.
This difficult operation was speedily performed by that
accomplished surgeon, with his usual skill, and we are happy
to learn that the patient is now in a fair way of recovery.
=====

This thread: