NIR-ARMAGH-L Archives

Archiver > NIR-ARMAGH > 2002-03 > 1015562295

From: Alison Causton <>
Subject: [ARMAGH] DEATH: MACLISE - Dec 1844 - in Limerick, born in Armagh city
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 23:38:15 -0500

- The following general-interest news article has been transcribed from
The Armagh Guardian (31 December 1844; microform), by permission of The
British Library.
- This reprint is intended SOLELY for the non-commercial use of family
historians, with the sincere hope that a Lister may find the content useful.
- Please refer any questions arising from this article to the general readership
of the NIR-ARMAGH mailing list.
- I am not descended from the person(s) mentioned herein.

=====
FATAL ACCIDENT--HEROISM IN HUMBLE LIFE.
The following are the details of a melancholy accident at
Limerick, by which two persons lost their lives:--A young
woman having fallen into the river, an artillery soldier, without
a moment's hesitation, plunged in to her rescue. In the agony
of fear, she unfortunately grasped him round the waist, impeded
all his efforts, and after a brief struggle, they both sunk to
arise in life no more. The name of this brave man who lost his
life in the noble endeavour to save that of a fellow-creature,
was MACLISE. He had been twelve years in the artillery, and
was highly respected by his officers and comrades. But the
most affecting part of the sad tale remains yet to be told. We
learn from the Limerick Reporter, that "he has left an interesting
wife far advanced in pregnancy, and three children, to
deplore his loss." At this happy season, what heart can contemplate
unmoved the desolation and misery brought so suddenly
to turn their "hearthstone to a tomb;" what bosom but must
thrill with admiration of the heroism of the act which gilds with
as much glory the grave of the humble soldier, as any deed of
human greatness?
As far as it is in the power of man to alleviate the distress of
the widow and children so awfully bereaved no effort should be
left untried. In Limerick, we are informed by our contemporary,
"it occurred to every generous mind simultaneously that
a subscription should at once be raised for the widow and the
orphans," and why not, we ask, in Dublin also? Why should
the admiration of such generous acts of bravery by confined to
any district? Every officer and soldier in the garrison at
Limerick have appropriated one day's pay towards the fund about to
be raised; and will not the military stationed here be delighted
to imitate an example so praise-worthy, and pay a meet tribute
to the memory of him whose death, untimely as it was, reflects
such honour on the name of soldier.
Will not our fellow-citizens too, of every grade and class
to whose doors Christmas brought not unlooked-for mourning,
strive, with fitting emulation, who shall be most prompt to
relieve the widow and children? Deeds like those of poor
MACLISE, who, we are proud to say, was an Irishman, reflect honor
on the nation; and, had his courageous effort succeeded, what
happier fireside could be witnessed at this festive season than
his whose heart would have throbbed with joy at having rescured
a fellow-being from a sudden and fearful death? As it was,
Christmas Day brought to his home only the dark reality of
crushing sorrow, while, in the distance, the agonised widow
beheld looming the fearful presence of want. Will the country that
gave birth to the generous spirit that animated poor MACLISE,
suffer his children to cry for bread? No, a thousand times, no.
A tribute to his memory is a national debt, and assuredly it will
be paid.
The following brief account of his funeral shows the estimation
in which the poor fellow was held. We quote from the
Limerick Reporter:--
"His funeral took place at three o'clock on Sunday, and was
the most numerous we have seen for many a day. It was
attended by the great majority of the citizens of Limerick, and
by most of the corporation, all being anxious to pay a tribute of
respect to heroism so noble. He was conveyed upon the cannon
carriage to St. John's churchyard, and was interred by his
comrades with military honors."
The Editor of the Evening Packet will thankfully receive any
subscriptions to forward the benevolent work already
commenced with great success in Limerick. They will be duly
acknowledged, and remitted carefully to whatever committee
may be formed in that city to allocate the funds so provided.--
Evening Packet.
[The above melancholy catastrophe presents a strong
claim on the Christian feeling of the inhabitants of
Armagh. Deceased was a native of this city, and a well-
conducted man. We shall feel most happy in aiding
the movement now in progress to afford relief to the
suffering family the brave-hearted man has left
behind him.--ED. ARMAGH GUARDIAN.]
=====

This thread: