NIR-ARMAGH-L ArchivesArchiver > NIR-ARMAGH > 2002-08 > 1029843870
From: Alison Causton <>
Subject: [ARMAGH] SLATER's Directory - Portadown (1881) - Part I
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 07:44:30 -0400
** PLEASE NOTE: This transcription is intended SOLELY for the
non-commercial use of family history research. **
** IF you re-post any or all of this information, subject to the
non-commercial clause above, PLEASE CITE the bibliographical reference below
first, followed by a citation of the transcriber: Alison Causton,
Kingsville, Ontario, Canada.
From: SLATER'S Royal National Commercial Directory of Ireland, including,
in addition to the Trades Lists, Alphabetical Directories of Dublin,
Belfast, Cork, and Limerick, to which are added Classified Directories of
the Following Important Towns: Bristol, Glasgow, and Liverpool [pub. in
A MARKET town, partly in the parish of SEAGOE, barony of O'Neiland East, but
chiefly in the parish of DRUMCREE, barony of O'Neilland West, county of
Armagh, is 84 miles N. from Dublin, 26 S.W. by W. from Belfast, 19 W.S.W.
from Lisburn, 15 E. from Dungannon, 10 N.E. by N. from Armagh, 4 S. from
Lough Neagh, 6-1/2 E. by N. from Loughgall, 5-1/2 S.W. from Lurgan, the same
distance N.E. from Richhill, and 4-1/2 N.W. by N. from Gilford; eligibly
situated on the river Bann, over which is a stone bridge of five arches,
connecting it with the small suburb of EDENDERRY, in the parish of SEAGOE.
The Newry canal joins the river about a mile above the town, and the latter
falls into Lough Neagh at its southern side, and issuing at the opposite
point loses itself in the sea below Coleraine, thus forming, in connection
with the canal, a water communication between that place and Newry. this is
now but little used, consequent on the opening of railway communication with
all parts of the country. The Great Northern and the Ulster lines of
railway have a joint station conveniently close to the town. The ancient
name of this place was Port-ne-doon, signifying the "Port of the fortified
eminence," from a castle of the M'Cann's, who occupied this important
station, commanding the pass of the river Bann. In the reign of Charles I,
Portadown consisted of no more than three or four small houses, and was
granted by that monarch, with the estate, to J. P. Obyns, Esq. It now
consists of a well-built principal street, and several smaller streets
branching from it in various directions. In 1780 a general grain market was
established by the late Major Obyns and John Woodhouse, Esq. and of late
years the weekly sales of corn have greatly increased. The trade in other
agricultural produce is also great, and is much promoted by the situation of
the place, in the centre of an extensive and fertile district, and the
facile means in possession of transmission to distant parts. The
manufacture of linen, cambric, and sheeting is carried on extensively in the
town and neighbourhood, and affords employment to a considerable number of
persons. Banking accommodation is amply supplied by branches of the Bank of
Ireland, the Belfast Banking Company, and the Ulster Banking Company. Petty
sessions are held on the second and fourth Mondays in each month. The
general appearance of the town is cleanly and respectable. The principal
street contains a number of excellent retail establishments. The town is
also well lighted with gas, and is governed by a chairman and commissioners
elected triennially under the Towns Improvement Act of 1834.
The Protestant Episcopal church of Drumcree, situated about a mile from
the town, is a handsome edifice, in the early English style, with a tower at
the eastern end ; and the parish church of Seagoe, which forms a very
pleasing object in the landscape, stands about an English mile north, in the
midst of a finely wooded and well-cultivated district. St. Mark's church, a
neat structure with a square tower, stands in the town: as do also
Presbyterian meeting houses, and chapels respectively for Primitive and
Wesleyan Methodists. The Roman Catholic church is situated in William
street. The charitable institutions comprise dispensaries for the sick
poor, a fever hospital, and public schools. The court house and news room,
in High street, is a handsome and ornamental structure. A good market place
and shambles were erected by subscription, and placed under the
superintendence of a committee. The general market is held on Saturday, and
one for grain, hay and straw on Wednesday. Fairs, the third Saturday in
every month. The town contained in 1861, 5,528 inhabitants, and in 1871,
POST OFFICE, MARKET STREET,
FRANCIS J. O'HANLON, Post Master.
>From England, Dublin, Belfast, and all parts of Ireland at half-past eleven
>From Scotland, Belfast, Lisburn, and Lurgan at eight morning.
>From Dungannon, Moy, Monaghan, Armagh, Caledon, and Glaslough at ten minutes
past ten morning.
>From England, Dublin, Drogheda, Dundalk, Newry, Banbridge, and all places
between Dublin and Portadown, at ten minutes past eleven morning.
>From Armagh and Monaghan at fifty minutes past two afternoon.
>From Dungannon, Moy, Omagh, Strabane, Derry, Belfast, Lisburn, Lurgan, and
Travelling Railway Mail at four afternoon.
>From Dublin, Armagh, and Dungannon at a quarter-past six evening.
>From Annaghmore and Rural Letter Carriers at eight evening.
To Dublin and Annaghmore at half past seven morning.
To Belfast, Lisburn, Lurgan, all places between Portadown and Belfast at
twenty-five minutes past ten morning.
To Armagh, Derry, Omagh, Strabane, Newtown Stewart, Castlederg, Ballygawley,
Pomeroy, Donaghmore, Dungannon, and Moy at forty-five minutes past ten
To Monaghan, at ten minutes past two afternoon.
To England, Dublin, Drogheda, Dundalk, Newry, Banbridge, and all places
between Portadown and Dublin, at twenty minutes past three afternoon.
To Scotland, Belfast, Lisburn, Lurgan, Armagh, and Dungannon, at twenty
minutes past five evening.
To Derry, Omagh, Strabane, Dungannon, Moy, and all places between Portadown
and Derry, at fifty minutes past ten evening.
To England, Scotland, Dublin, Drogheda, Dundalk, Newry, Banbridge, and all
places in Ireland, except along Derry line of rail, at ten minutes past one
Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Bank.
GENTRY & CLERGY.
Anderson Mr. Hugh, High st
Andrews Rev. Samuel, M.A. Armagh rd
Armstrong Mr. Alfred, Edenderry
Armstrong Thos. Esq. J.P. Eden Hall
Atkinson Misses Gracy & Mary,
Atkinson Misses Henrietta & Isabella,
Atkinson Mr. John B. Church st
Atkinson Mr. Wm. Henry, Thomas st
Atkinson Woolsey, Esq. Eden Villa
Beck Mrs. Eliza, Castle st
Blacker Major Stewart, J.P. D.L.
Bredon Mrs. Kate, Millicent ter
Buchanan Rev. Thomas, Duneglish
Byrne Rev. Lawrence, William st
Carleton Mrs. Elizabeth, Church st
Carleton Miss Elizabeth, Church st
Carrick Rev. Powles, Church st
Collen Mr. John, Killicomain House
Cowdy Anthony, Esq. Thomas st
Cowdy Rev. Samuel, Hanover st
Cowdy Mr. William, Thomas st
Dawson Rev. Abraham, A.M. Seagoe Glebe
Dickey Mrs. Martha, Annagh ter
Elliott Rev. Leonard D. M.A. Manse,
Fitzgerald Rev. Augustine, A.M. Clounagh
Glasgow Rev. James, D.D. St. Amand pl
Green Mr. James, Glenachy
Harris Mr. Henry J. Annagh ter
Henry Mrs. Catherine, William st
Hobson Rev. Edward W. A.B. High st
Irwin Mr. David W. Castle st
Johnston Mrs. Eliza Frances, Thomas st
Jones Mr. William, Church st
Kernahan Mr. Robert, High st
Kingsborough Rev. Robt. Carleon st
Kinkead Mr. George, High st
Leaney Mr. John, Thomas st
Lee Rev. Robert S. Thomas st
Lodge Rev. Geo. J. A.B. Edenderry
M'Connell Mrs. Martha, Church st
M'Gahie Rev. Hugh, Thomas st
M'Kinney Mrs. Eliza, Carleton st
Marley Miss Mary, Bridge st
Marley Mr. Thomas, Castle st
Murray Rev. John L. Alma ter
O'Donnell Rev. John, William st
Paul Mr. William J. High st
Pepper Richmond, Esq. Ballyworkin
Quarry Mrs. -----, Victoria ter
Shillington Averell, Esq. High st
Shillington Mr. Henry, B.A.
Shillington Mr. Thomas, Altavilla
Shillington Thomas, Esq. J.P.
Sinnamon Mr. D'Arcy, Wentworth
Twibble Rev. -----, A.B. Drumcree
Vint Rev. Robert, B.A. Alma ter
Wakefield Chas. F. Esq. Corcrain Villa
Walker John, Esq. Seagoe Villa
Whelan Rev. W. J. F. B.A. Drumcree
Whelan Captain William Edward, R.M.
ACADEMIES AND SCHOOLS.
Cowdy Miss -----, Hanover st
Greer Margaret (day & boarding),
Church st--Annie Major, mistress
Thomas st--Annie Trouton, mistrs.
Kinkead Miss -----, High st
NATIONAL SCHOOLS :--
Artabracka -- John Montgomery,
master; Henrietta Montgomery,
Bridge st--David Geddis, master
Church st--William English, mas-
ter ; Effie English, mistress
Corcrain--John Cox, master
Drumgoose--Alex. Maxwell, master
Seagoe--Margaret M. Kinnear, mstrs
Thomas st (Wesleyan)--John Ferguson,
master ; Margaret Ferguson,
William st -- Charles M'Dermott,
master ; Agnes M'Ginnity, mistrs
PORTADOWN ACADEMY (intermediate),
Armagh rd--Matthew Steen, B.A.,
Continued in Part II / ...
|[ARMAGH] SLATER's Directory - Portadown (1881) - Part I by Alison Causton <>|