NIR-ARMAGH-L Archives

Archiver > NIR-ARMAGH > 2007-07 > 1185574519

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [ARMAGH] Graham/Edgar
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 22:15:34 -0000

Author: JScottGraham81
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.britisles.ireland.arm.general/4718.3.1.1.1.2.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

This is taken from a family history written by my Aunt Ida May Hysell. She did quite a bit of research in the 1960's and 70's and she wrote this up before she died:

"If James, the son of Thomas, is our forefather he was the father of William Bullock Graham, who
was the father of William Waddell Graham. But we have not found a record of William Bullock's birth,
his parentage, marriage or death. It is said that he was born in Ireland and married to Rose Ann
Edgar. The sad fact is that too many of the legal and church records have been destroyed in the wars
in Ireland. Besides which some I've read were very poorly recorded and kept.

The earliest record I have found of anyone we are sure of is information obtained by corresponding
with the family tracing service in Ireland. They found record of the family of William Waddell Graham
and his wife Sarah. In the record of the Parish Church of the Parish of Camlough they found record of
the baptism of the oldest of their children as follows:

1. Robert Graham bap. 29/9/1839
2. Jane Graham bap. 14/2/1841 (dau recorded as son James)
3. William Bullock Graham bap 7/6/1846
4. Ann Graham bap. 7/6/1846

In the 1851 census of Airdrie, Lanarkshire, Scotland,

William Waddell Graham's family is
registered as follows:
William Waddell Graham 33 Coal Miner Birth: Down Co. Ireland
Sarah, wife 30 Birth: Down Co. Ireland
Robert 11 Coal Drawer
Jane 9 Scholar
Ann 4
Eliza Margaret 2

Between 1846 and 1849 they had migrated to Airdrie, Lanark, Scotland where seven
more children were born to them, including our own grandfather, James, who married Jane Laird.
The third child, a twin, William Bullock Graham died 10 January 1849. We don't know if in
Ireland or in Airdrie as a daughter Eliza Margaret was born to them 10 August 1849 in Airdrie, Lanark,
Scotland. In going through the Irish records William was listed as an innkeeper in 1838, a publican
in 1841, and a farmer in 1846. His father William Bullock Graham was thought to be a farmer as the
family said he talked of lots of horses, but he also said he had been raised in an inn or pub."

"Ida May Hysell"

Hope this is helpful. You can find the full history she wrote at www.freewebs.com/jtgrahamfamily and then clicking on the "Graham History" link.

Scott

Important Note: