NIR-DOWN-L Archives

Archiver > NIR-DOWN > 2000-06 > 0962020401

From: Ron McRoberts <>
Subject: [NIR-DOWN] Clelands in Kilmore parish, Co. Down
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 06:53:21 -0500

Cleland researchers -
Interest has been expressed recently by several parties in the Clelands of
Kilmore parish, Co. Down. Below are Cleland gravestone inscriptions from
Kilmore graveyard, Kilmore Church of Ireland graveyard, Kilmore
Presbyterian graveyard, and Rademon Non-subscribing Presbyterian graveyard.
Most of these can be found in the Co. Down Gravestone Inscription Series,
although I have added a few for Kilmore Presbyterian graveyard that are not
included. In addition, I have added the Clelands, by townland, for the
Tithe Applotment and Griffith's Valuation. Each given name is listed only
once for each townland, even though it may have appeared multiple times.
If you are interested and your e-mail system accepts attachments, please
let me know and I will send the information below as a word processor file.
I hope some of you find this useful and interesting.

Ron McRoberts

KILMORE GRAVEYARD

CLEELAND. Here lyeth the body of ... Cleeland. Here lyeth the body of
Elisabeth Cleeland who departed this life June ye 1746 aged 52 years.

CLELAND. Anno Domino 1747. Hans Cleland of Crivey, his stone. Hear
resteth the body of James Cleland, his mother and two sisters, Jean and
Rebacah.

CLELAND. This stone was erected by Hugh Cleland of Drumaghlis in memory of
his son Hugh who departed this life Decr. the 14th 1802 aged 3 weeks.

CLELAND. Erected in memory of James Cleland, late of Killinchy Woods, wh
died 14th Octr. 1828 aged .. years.

CLELAND. [Top portion broken off] .... Also, his wife Agness Cleland who
died 1st March 1829 aged 88 years. Also the remains of Margery, wife of
James Cleland, who departed this life 22nd November 1831 aged 32 years.

CLELAND. Erected by William Cleland in memory of his father Hugh Cleland,
Killinchy Woods, who departed this life 3d June 1831 aged 81 years.

CLELAND. Erected by John Cleland, Woodside.

RADEMON NON-SUBSCRIBING PRESBYTERIAN GRAVEYARD

CLELAND. Here lieth the body of James Cleland of Cluntinaglare who
departed this life July the 2 1829 aged 65 years.

CLELAND. The burying ground of Gawn and his brother James Cleland of
Creevycarnonan. November 1836. Here are interred the remains of Margaret
McMurray who was the survivor of the above James Cleland family. She died
24th August 1891.

WOODS. Erected by William Woods of Coldspring, U.S.America in memory of his
mother Sarah Woods alias Cleland who departed this life 14th July 1832 aged
55 years.

KILMORE CHURCH OF IRELAND GRAVEYARD

CLELAND. Erected to the memory of Arthur Cleland of Creevy Carnonan who
departed this life 27th February 1834 aged 56 years.

KILMORE PRESBYTERIAN GRAVEYARD

CLELAND. Erected to the memory of John Cleland of Magheralone and
Tyconnett who departed this life on the 1st September 1845 aged 54 years.
Also his beloved wife Anne Minnis who departed this life on the 6th
February 1871 aged 78 years. Also Caroline Gordon who departed this life
on the 23rd December 1894 aged 13 years. Also his grandson Adam Cleland,
Killinchy Woods, who departed this life on the 16th February 1908 aged 50
years.

CLELAND. Joseph Cleland's family vault, 1845.

CLELAND. Erected by James Cleland of Magheralone in memory of hid daughter
Ann Cleland who departed this life in the 27th year of her age on the 2nd
day of November in the year of Our Lord 1847. Looking for that blessed
hope and the glorious appearing of the Great God and our Savior Jesus
Christ. Also his daughter Martha Orr who died 1924 aged 97 years. Also,
her daughter Annie Johnston who died in 1902, wife of R. Johnston.

CLELAND. William Cleland's family burying ground. Drumaghlis, 1849.
William, son of above, died 14th November 1919. And his wife Annie
McMordie died 9th June 1922.

CLELAND. Hugh Cleland, Drumnaness, 29 August 1891. James Cleland, 10
April 1925. Martha Jane Cleland, 10 Jan 1956.

HUTTON. William Hutton, Creevycarnonan, 31 May 1936, aged 90. Brother,
James Hutton, 30 March 1903. Sister, Margaret, 13 February 1916. Annie,
08 July 1921.

MARTIN. [M.D., IX, 452] Erected by James Martin, A.D. 1818, to the memory
of his father George Martin of Barnamaghery who departed this life 19th
December 1812 aged 58 years. His mother Betty Martin aged 95 years, his
brother Samuel Martin and his sister Betty Martin died December 1856. The
above James Martin died 24th June 1873 aged 92 years. George Martin
Cleland, born 5th Dec. 1817, died 3rd Aug. 1871. Mary McEwen Cleland, born
5th June 1830, died 6th Jan. 1909. Lizzie Cleland, born 23rd Nov. 1858,
died 214th Jan. 1901. Mary Martin Cleland, born 1st July 1863, died 12
Nov. 1909.

TITHE APPLOTMENT

CLONTINGLARE
James Cleland