NIR-DOWN-L Archives

Archiver > NIR-DOWN > 2003-05 > 1052990778

From: Trevor Edwards <>
Subject: [NIR-DOWN] Down people married in Belfast 1861-1863
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 10:28:13 +0100 (BST)

I have been unable to reply to three people who have
asked for information, replies I sent were bounced by
their ISP. If you have not had a reply from me and you
asked for assistance, then please let me have an
address where you can be contacted.

Marriages in Linenhall Presbyterian Church, Belfast.
All are of full age, Bachelor or Spinster unless it
says otherwise. A lot of text was illegible and where
there is a “?” it indicates that it was my
interpretation of the text. When Robert Knox was the
minister the text became very difficult to read. * =
not legible.

I have again recorded townlands I wasn’t sure of,
rather than ignore them.

1861
16 Jan 1861, Robert Wilson, grocer, Lisburn, father
George, a boot maker, married Mary Belshaw, Lisburn,
father John, a Time keeper.

24 Apr 1861, James McNally, carpenter, Lisburn, father
John, a carpenter, married Margaret Hawthorn, a minor,
Ballymallon, father Richard, a farmer.

6 May 1861, William Thomas Moore, mason, Holywood,
father Samuel, a builder, married Marge Jane McNally,
Holywood, father George, a clerk.

The details in the record for 3 Aug 1861 were entered
in the wrong boxes by the church clerk and the usual
record not kept, (e.g. residence). Robert Knox was the
presiding Minister.
3 Aug 1861, Thomas Buckle, ship carpenter, father
Thomas, married Betsy Taylor, 18 years, father William
a farmer.

2 Nov 1961, David Kirker? Belfast, father David, a
grocer, married Eliza Ann Martin, Lisburn, father
Thomas, a bleacher.

28 Nov 1861, Robert McGowan, labourer, Donaghadee,
father David, a labourer, married Agnes Warden,
Ballygrainey, father William, a farmer.

5 Dec 1861, John Stewart, farmer, Ballydavy, father a
farmer, married Margaret Martha Shaw, Killinchy,
father James Shaw, a farmer.

1862
10 May 1862, John McClung, millwright, Lisburn, father
Alex, Cloth fitter? married Mary A Thompson, Lisburn,
father John, a shoemaker.

17 Jun 1862, James MeHarry, farmer, Craigantlet,
father William, a farmer, married Ester Arnold,
Ballysallagh, father John, a farmer.

11 Jul 1862, Robert Green, carpenter, Bang** Field,
(there is a Bloomfield in Belfast today off the
Holywood Road), father George, a mason, married
Catherine Logan, Castlereagh, father James, a
shopkeeper.

19 Aug 1862, James McEwen, farmer, Elarso***oud?
Father William, a farmer, married Mary Shepherd, 17
years, Saintfield, father Francis, a farmer.

10 Nov 1862, John Brown, farmer, Ballykeel, father * a
farmer, married Eliza Bannmer, Belfast, father William
a dealer.

1863
1 Mar 1863, Henry Bethill, second? Artillery, ******,
Pork, Dublin, father Alfred a matchmaker, married
Catherine? Gilchrist, Newtownards, father John, a
Mason.

6 Apr 1863, Thomas Anderson, Newtownards, father
Robert, a carrier, married Catherin McMahin, Belfast,
father Dennis? A farmer.

19 May 1863, Samuel Sloan, labourer, Belfast, father *
a farmer, married Sarah? McCracken, Dundonald, father
*, a farmer.

5 June 1863, William Given, farmer, Tully*****, father
William, a farmer, married Sarah Bennett, L*****,
father Hugh, a farmer.

12 Oct 1863, William Bryant, watchmaker, Dublin,
father John, a watchmaker, married Sarah? Jane Green,
Fulford? Or Gilford? Father John, a carpenter.

16 Dec 1863, William John Harvey, Lisburn, father
James, married Hannah Marshall?, widow, father William
Kelsey, a farmer.

26 Dec 1863, Robert M*c*u, merchant, Newtownards,
father Thomas, a merchant, married Margaret Moore,
Newtownards, father Hugh, a farmer.

Trevor

Yahoo! Plus
For a better Internet experience