NIR-DOWN-L Archives

Archiver > NIR-DOWN > 2008-05 > 1210889522

From: "William Stranney" <>
Subject: Re: [NIR-DOWN] Information wanted on a wee dance hall inCountyDown(1931-1950?)
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 23:12:02 +0100

Raymond,

Thanks for contacting John Newell for me. I appreciate it. What did John
work at? Leo, now deceased, was my uncle. Jimmy I assume was a man I knew of
as James Stranney, although he died when I was very young.. He was a son of
my grandfathers first marriage. Jimmy's mother's mother was a Morgan from
Kilkeel or the surrounding area (although there is some confusion about her
surname, as my grandfather's first wife's maiden name was Rooney, according
to my father). There seems to always have been a strong connection between
Scollockstown, and the surrounding townlands and the Mourne area, Kilkeel,
Glasdrumman etc.. Also, the Higgins family who were very much involved in
activity at the White Rock Hall, originally came from Glasdrumman, I have
been told.
My father tells me that every few years cattle used to be driven along the
road from somewhere near Kilkeel all the way to the Stranneys farm in
Castlescreen townland, not far from Scollockstown (this was before about
1910, when most of the Stranneys moved to Scollockstown from Castlescreen to
live). That is a journey of about 20 miles. This suggests some strong
family or other connections, I think.

Oh, according to http://www.measuringworth.com/ppoweruk £4 4s in 1958
would be worth about £70.75p in today's money. It is very difficult to
really compare prices though, but it is fun trying!

Thanks once again.

William.