NISHNAWBE-L Archives

Archiver > NISHNAWBE > 2003-01 > 1043468933

From: "James P. LaLone" <>
Subject: Re: [NISHNAWBE] Peltier, Lassalier, Gleason & MARCOT
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 23:46:05 -0500

This is what I have on the MARCOT family, as usual
additions/corrections appreciated, thanks, Jim.

1. Jean-Francois MARCOTTE.

He married Marie-Anne MORISSET.

Children:
2. i Jean-Baptiste.

Second Generation

2. Jean-Baptiste MARCOT(TE), died 1783.

He married Marianne NESKESH/NESKETH/SARRASIN, 24 Jul 1758 in
Michillimackinac, Mackinac Co., MI, born c. 1741, (daughter of
Returning-Cloud/Kewiniquat/Neskes and unknown) baptized 9 May 1756 in
Michillimackinac, Mackinac Co., MI. Marianne: Aka Migisan. Same as
Thimotee mentioned in baptisims or is she a second wife? Note that the
wife of Edward BIDDLE is also listed as a SARRASIN. Neskesh could be
a corruption for the word Otter - Negig. Aka MIGHISSENS, in Tanguay
called Marie-Jeanne. Aka Magisan/AMIGHISSEN.

Children:
i Marie MARCOT, born 8 Sept 1759, baptized 30 Sept 1759 in
Michillimackinac, Mackinac Co., MI.
ii Jean-Baptiste MARCOT Jr., born 12 Jan 1762, baptized 13 Jun
1762 in Michillimackinac, Mackinac Co., MI. Perhaps a generation
missing and it is Jr. who m. Thimotee. M. to Mary Ann PROVENCHER?
iii Marianne MARCOT, born Sept 1769, baptized 10 Jul 1775 in
Michillimackinac, Mackinac Co., MI.
3. iv Therese b. c. 1772/6.
v Charlotte MARCOT, died 2 Jan 1806 in Mackinac Is., Mackinac
Co., MI. Aka Marguerite (Denissen, v.1, p.244.)

She married Charles CHANDONNET, 1 Jul 1792 in Michillimackinac,
Mackinac Co., MI, married (religious) 16 Jul 1804 in Michillimackinac,
Mackinac Co., MI (ch), (son of Andre CHANDONNET and Charlotte
FISHER/FICHOT/FRECHET).

4. vi Marguerite b. Aug 1771.
5. vii Magdelaine b. Feb 1780.

Third Generation

3. Therese MARCOT, born c. 1772/6 in MI, baptized 1 Aug 1786 in
Michillimackinac, Mackinac Co., MI, died 1855 in Green Bay, Brown Co.,
WI. May be a generation missing according to WI Pion. Soc. Coll.,
v.14, pp.17-64. Mother listed as Thimotee.

She married (1) Pierre LASUELLER.

Children:
6. i Marienne b. c. 1785.

She married (2) George SCHINDLER, 12 Jul 1804 in Michillimackinac,
Mackinac Co., MI, (son of Jean-Jonas SCHINDLER and Genevieve MARANDA).

Children:
ii Jean-Jonas SCHINDLER.

4. Marguerite MARCOT(TE), born Aug 1771 in Superior country, baptized
10 Jul 1775 in Michillimackinac, Mackinac Co., MI.

She married (1) Charles F. OUAGACOUCHER/WAGACOUCHER. Charles: Aka
AGACOUCHIN.

Children:
i Charlotte OUAGACOUCHER, born c. 1793, baptized 6 Jun 1794 in
Michillimackinac, Mackinac Co., MI.
7. ii John Baptist b. 1789.

She married (2) Louison DAILY.

Children:
8. iii Joseph.

5. Magdelaine MARCOT, born Feb 1780 in Ft. St. Joseph, MI, baptized 1
Aug 1786 in Michillimackinac, Mackinac Co., MI, died 4 Apr 1846 in
Mackinac Is., Mackinac Co., MI, buried 6 Apr 1846 in Ste-Anne's,
Mackinac Is., Mackinac Co., occupation fur trader. Mo's name given as
Thimotee. MR gives name as Marguerite-Madeleine.

Madaline's will dated 02 March, 1846. It reads:

At a special session of the Probate Court for the County of
Michilimackinac held the 30th day of June, AD 1846. Present William
Johnston, Judge of Probate at Jonathan P. King's office. Samuel Abbott
and Jonathan P. King appeared and presented Madaline LaFramboise's
Will to be proved and allowed. The said will being opened was read as
follows to wit:
In the Name of the Most holy and adorable Trinity, the Father, the
Son and the Holy Ghost, Amen. I, Madaline LaFramboise of Mackinac in
the County of Michilimackinac in the State of Michigan being in bad
health of a sound mind, memory and understanding but considering the
certainty of death and the uncertainty of the time therof, and being
desirous to settle my worldly affairs, do therefore make and publish
this my last will and testament in manner and form following to wit:
FIRST: I commit my soul into the hands of Almighty God and my body to
the Earth, to be decently buried accoridng to the rights and Ceremony
of the Roman Catholic Church and it being my particular request to be
buried in the lot on which stands the Catholic Church and that neither
my bones or said Church be disturbed by my heirs, and after my debts
and funeral charges are paid, I desire and bequeath as follows to wit,
SECOND: I give and bequeath to my Sister Theresa Schindler One
Hundred Dollars
THIRD: I give and bequeath to Mary Ann Fisher One Hundred Dollars
and,
FOURTH: I give and bequeath to the Resident Catholic Priest for any
Church Services which he may perform for me after my death Fifty
Dollars and One Hundred Dollars to Agatha Biddle,
FIFTH: I give and bequeath to my son Joseph LaFramboise all the
residue of my personal Estate, of ... description, wishing that the
piece of land on the Island which I gave for the building of the
Catholic Church shall never be claimed wither by my son Joseph
LaFramboise or Josette Harriet Pierce or by any of thier Heirs. In
consequence of my giving and bequeathing to my son Joseph LaFramboise
so much personal Estate, it is my particular wish that he relinquish
to Josette Harriet Pierce or her heirs all his right, title or
Interest to my two story dwelling House and lot on the Island of
Mackinac.
LASTLY: I do herby constitute and appoint Samuel Abbott of
Michilimackinac and Jonathan P. King to be my sole executors of this
my last will and testament, revoking and annulling all former Wills by
me made and Confirming this to be my last Will and Testament.
In testimony whereof I have hereunto let my hand and seal at Mackinac
this second day of March Eighteen Hundred and forty six - Madaline
Laframboise her mark
Signed Sealed and published and deliverd by Madaline Laframboise as
and for her last will and testament, in the presence of us, at her
request, have subscribed ourselves as witnesses thereto:
Samuel Harring
Tally O'Mally
Samuel Abbott
There is a note written in the upper corner of the page that reads:
*The accovance (?) to Agatha Biddle was interlined or added with Blue
ink, signed William Johnston, Judge of Probate.

She married Louis-Joseph FAFARD-LAFRAMBOISE, married (religious) 11
Jul 1804 in Michillimackinac, Mackinac Co., MI, born 6 May 1765 in
Trois-Rivieres, Qc., CAN, (son of Jean-Baptiste FAFARD-LAFRAMBOISE and
Genevieve-Exupere TROTIER-LaBISSIONIERE) died 1806/9 of gun shot
wound, occupation trader.

Children:
9. i Josette b. 24 Sept 1795.
10. ii Joseph b. Mar 1805.

Fourth Generation

6. Marienne LASALIERE/LaSALIERE, born c. 1785, died 20 Jan 1853 in
Ste-Anne's, Mackinac Is., Mackinac Co.

She married Henry Munro FISHER/FISCHER, 22 Jul 1809, born c. 1770/80
in Hebron, NY, (son of Donald FISHER and Elizabeth MONROE/MUNRO) died
21 May 1827 in Prairie du Chien, WI, occupation Cpt., trader, clerk.
Henry:
Henry Munro Fisher was born on 14 November 1776 Hebron, New
York(Joyce Black Research, Genealogy of Joyce Black; from Art H.
Fisher.). He married Madeline Gauthier De Verville, daughter of Claude
Charles Gauthier De Verville and Madeleine Paschal Chevalier, circa
1796(ibid.). He married Marie Anne LaSaliere before 1810. Fisher,
Henry, Sr. c.1812(?)-1822 (Fisher, Henry Monroe) Parish: Prairie du
Chien
1812 left Prairie du Chien, where he had been an independent trader,
at outbreak of War of 1812; brought two sons (Alexander and Henry)
with him to Red River District where he was employed by Northwest
Company. (Peter Lawrence Scanlan, 'Prairie Du Chien; French British
American'; George Banta Publishing Company, Menasha, Wisconsin, 1937;
pp. 179-180.
(no referenced traced in HBC Archives until 1821)
1821 employed as clerk with North West Company (location not traced)
(HBC Archives F.4/49 p.82)(HBCE, F.4/49 p.82.). 1821-1822 employed by
H.B.C. after merger with N.W.Co. as clerk; retired to Canada
1822(ibid, B.239/f/14 fo. 4d.). 1823-1827 returned to Prairie du
Chien; died there 1827. [see: Scanlan, op. cit. p.180](HBCE.). He died
on 21 May 1846 St.Gabriels, Prairie du Chien, Crawford, Wisconsin, at
age 69(Joyce Black Research, Genealogy of Joyce Black; from Art H.
Fisher.).

Children:
11. i Elizabeth Theresa b. 24 Apr 1810.

7. John Baptist CHANDONNET, born 1789 in St. Joseph, Qc., CAN/MI, died
Sept 1837. Adopted by aunt Charlotte. Aka Agagcouchin.

He married (1) Marie-Louise CHAPOTON, 8 Aug 1815 in Detroit, Wayne
Co., MI, born 7 Jan 1795 in Detroit, Wayne Co., MI, (daughter of
Benedict-Joseph CHAPOTON and Therese MELOCHE).

Children:
i Charles CHANDONNET, born 24 Jul 1816.
ii Margaret CHANDONNET, born 4 Aug 1818 in Chicago, Cook, IL,
baptized 25 Aug 1819 in Detroit, Wayne Co., MI, buried 13 Sept 1826 in
Detroit, Wayne Co., MI.
iii Mary Louisa CHANDONNET, born 11 Nov 1822 in Detroit, Wayne
Co., MI.

He married (2) Kesis, died 1832 in Laporte Co., IN. Kesis:
Potawatomi.

Children:
iv Kesis CHANDONAI.
v Hortense CHANDONAI.
vi Louis CHANDONAI.
vii Poskow CHANDONAI.
viii _____ CHANONDAI.

8. Joseph DAILLY.

He married Mary NUMINVILLE, 23 Aug 1836 in Mackinac Co., MI,
(daughter of Joseph NUMINVILLE and Marie SAUVAGESSE).

Children:
i Magdalena DAILLY, born 17 Dec 1837 in Mackinac, Mackinac Co.,
MI, baptized 15 Jan 1838 in Ste-Anne's, Mackinac Is., Mackinac Co.

9. Josette FAFARD-LAFRAMBOISE, born 24 Sept 1795, baptized 7 Jul 1799
in Michillimackinac, Mackinac Co., MI, died 24 Nov 1820, buried in
Mackinac Is., Mackinac Co., MI.

She married Benjamin Kendrick PIERCE, married (civil) 2 Apr 1816 in
Mackinac Is., Mackinac Co., MI, born 29 Aug 1790, occupation Lt-Col.;
War of 1812. Benjamin: Married 2 more times.

Children:
12. i Harriet Josephine b. 1817.
ii Benjamin Langdon PIERCE, died c. 1821, born c. 1820.

10. Joseph LAFRAMBOISE, born Mar 1805 in MI, died 9 Nov 1856 in Little
Rock Creek, Nicollet Co., MN, occupation fur trader, farmer.

He married (1) Magdeleine SISSETON, c. 1827, born c. 1810.
Magdeleine: Aka Sleepy Eyes.

Children:
i Francois LaFRAMBOISE, born c. 1837.

He married (2) Jane DIXON, 1845 in Nicolet Co., MN, born c. 1820.

Fifth Generation

11. Elizabeth Theresa FISCHER, born 24 Apr 1810 in Prairie du Chien,
WI, died 5 Nov 1890 in Green Bay, Brown Co., WI. Mother also given as
dau. of Therese & Pierre Lasaliere.

She married Henry S. BAIRD, 12 Aug 1824 in Mackinac Is., Mackinac
Co., MI, born 16 May 1800 in Dublin, IRE, died 30 Apr 1875 in Green
Bay, Brown Co., WI.

Children:
i Louise Sophia BAIRD.

She married John FAVILL.

ii Elizabeth BAIRD.
iii Emilie BAIRD.

12. Harriet Josephine PIERCE, born 1817, died 1850.

She married James Brewerton RICKETTS, 1840, born 1817, died 1887,
occupation US Army, Maj-Gen.

Children:
i _____ RICKETTS.