NJ-MEMORIES-L Archives

Archiver > NJ-MEMORIES > 2001-12 > 1008475753

From: "Richard Dean" <>
Subject: [NJ-Memories] Old Barn Milk Barn in Wayne is out of business
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 23:09:21 -0500

Hi everyone, I know I haven't contributed much to NJ-Memories lately.
Everything is just so busy.

Every now and then discussion centers around our favorite old ice cream
places. One of the more popular for at least half a century in north Jersey
is the Old Barn Milk Bar, originally called Alderney's, Paterson-Hamburg
Turnpike (US 202) in Wayne of Passaic County. I am now sad to report that
the family that has operated it for these many decades has taken a poison
pill so to speak and it's now closed permanently effective December 9. This
was reported by a family member to the ButlerNJArea Yahoogroup that I am the
founder of.

While on the subject of ice cream, during the first week of December when
temps were so warm, I happened to drive through NJ Route 10 in Ledgewood of
Roxbury Township, Morris County. One of the ice cream places that's often
featured in the local media is what appears to originally be an old Dairy
Queen trading as Cliff's. I had never seen a line-up at an outdoor walk up
window for ice cream in the month of December in New Jersey before that
night. There must have been 50 people waiting for their turn. Sure,
there's plenty of places that are indoor now but this is the old style
window service only.

Rich Dean
Butler NJ