NJ-ORPHANS-L Archives

Archiver > NJ-ORPHANS > 2004-12 > 1103669470

From: "Alice Scherer" <>
Subject: Christian Home for Orphans
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:51:14 -0800

Hello,

I am seeking information regarding the Christian Home for Orphans, or the
Christian Orphan's Home, or the Christian Children's Home. It is my
understanding that this was originally in the Journal Square area of Jersey
City and then moved to Fort Lee between 1920 and 1930. My grandfather Harold
Norman Krogstad was there sometime between 1909 and and 1929. His children
(Harold Norman Krogstad Jr, Donald Robert Krogstad, and Elaine Krogstad)
were there between 1945 and 1950.

I am wanting to find out specifically when the orphanage moved to Fort Lee,
and I am wanting to find the archives for the Orphan's Home. I am trying to
track the names of the parents of my grandfather. Apparently they came to
the United States from Norway, gave birth to him here, left him in the care
of an uncle so that he could have a better life in the United States and
returned to Norway, then at some point the uncle put him in the orphanage.

Thank you for any help you can give,

Alice Scherer
Oregon City, Oregon

This thread: