NJHUNTER-L Archives

Archiver > NJHUNTER > 2007-08 > 1187797261

From: Dee Snook <>
Subject: Re: [NJHUNTER] Hopewell Valley Heritage
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 08:41:01 -0700 (PDT)

Sharon
Thank you so much. I'll look forward to see if you find anything new. I live in Phoenix, AZ, so my trips to the east coast are few and far between. Aunt Cenie died almost two years ago and she was the last of the family there. I work both the Bozarth and Snook lines in that area. Bozarth was from Burlington county, but both Alcenia and Alva (my mother-in-law) moved to Trenton as children. Cenie lived in West Trenton for about 50 years. The Snook family lived in Lambertville, then Titusville, just a few doors down from the Presby Church on River Road. That Snook line is buried in both the Presby and Meth cemeteries there. The Maddock line, I believe, was in Pennington. They were the manufacturers of the first "porcelain oasis" in this country. I haven't done much research on them as it was my husband's aunt's inlaws. Now I'm going to have to just to satisfy my curiosity about the china. I'm thinking that it's possible that they may have manufactured it and
kept a place setting as a souvenir.
Dee

Sharon and Harry <> wrote:
Hi Dee,
Where do you live? The Blackwell Funeral Home, on Main Street in Pennington, has lots of old family antiques. "N.R." was the nickname of Nathaniel Blackwell. He ran the home until he died in 1923 and wife Carrie Baldwin Blackwell took it over. One of their daughters.became a mortician and ran the place with her husband. The front part of the place is from 1880.

I checked in "Pennington Profile" by Margaret O'Connell, who was a well-known 8th grade history teacher in Pennington. There is no mention or photo of Ingleside but there is, of course, Ingleside Avenue. Mrs. Phyllis D'Autrechy of Hunterdon County books, was also a teacher in Pennington. She taught my 6th grade class when she was fresh out of college and newly married.

Just as a side note the Hunterdon County 4H and Agricultural Fair begins today, Wednesday, and runs through Sunday August 26th. It's 10am til 10pm until Sunday when it runs from 10am until 6pm. Last year they had a booth manned by the Historical Society. I'll check for it on Friday when I go and see if they have any new Pennington material, even though Pennington is in Mercer County. They had lots of great stuff last year. The fair is just outside of Ringoes.

Good luck with your search.
Sharon

Dee Snook wrote:
I'd like to thank the person who put the book title "Hopewell Valley Heritage" on the Hunterdon website. My husband's Snook family is from Titusville and Lambertville, in Hopewell Township. I immediately went to ABE Books and was able to buy a copy. Still reading it, but I've already had a problem answered. My husband's aunt, Alcenia Bozarth Lawton was the daughter-in-law of Isabelle Middleton Maddock Lawton. When Alcenia died, I received some china with the word "Ingleside" on it in gold. I had thought that this perhaps was the name of the Maddock's estate. I sent out queries, but no one could give me an answer. While reading the book today, I came across the sentence " In September, 1881, Nathaniel R Blackwell of Pennington, NJ married Carrie Elizabeth Baldwin, at her lovely home called "Ingleside," just out of Pennington." I don't know how Belle came to have the pieces, but at least I know that Ingleside existed. Another piece to fit into the puzzle. Since I
haven't been able to find Maddock descendants I think I'll donate the dishes to the Hopewell Museum. Thank you so much for listing this.
Dee

When a person dies, a library closes.

Harry and Sharon Moore Colquhoun
Yardville, NJ