NJMONMOU-L Archives

Archiver > NJMONMOU > 2003-06 > 1056670367

From: "Scott D. Peters" <>
Subject: Re: [NJMON] 7th Day Baptists Minutes Book
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:32:47 -0400

To answer your first question: I can't help you with the Seventh Day Baptist
Records, but Richard Brandstetter of Tinton Falls has been doing a
considerable amount of work on the Seventh Day Baptists from New Jersey,
especially the Monmouth County region. I think this is his current e-mail
address:
If not, this address should at least be able to get you in touch with him:
Brandstetter Photography
60 Branford Circle, Tinton Falls, New Jersey, 07724
Phone: 732-542-8779

As for the Friends,
You should only need to worry about which branch of the RSOF an individual
or meeting was affiliated with after 1828.
Prior to that, there was no split, and so the records would all be part of a
single monthly or quarterly meeting.
The main repository for the records for Philadelphia and New York Yearly
Meetings is mostly Swarthmore College:
http://www.swarthmore.edu/Library/friends/index.html
while there are other records of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting at Haverford:
http://www.haverford.edu/library/special/
Swarthmore is associated with the Hicksite branch while Haverford remains
allied with the Orthodox Friends.

There are also some guides available to the records:
Monthly Meetings of North America: A Quaker Index, by Thomas Hill (1998),
provides a comprehensive index to the Quaker monthly meetings in North
America. Each entry contains information about the meeting's surviving
records and where they are located. Meetings are listed alphabetically by
name with cross-references for former or informal names. A geographical
index is located in the back.

Guide to the Records of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, compiled by Jack Eckert
(Philadelphia, PA: Records Committee of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, 1989)
BX 7648 P54 A2 http://www.haverford.edu/library/special/yearlymeeting.html

Abstracts of the Records of Monthly Meetings of New York Yearly Meeting, by
James E. Hazard (Swarthmore, PA: Friends Historical Library, 2001)

And, of course, there is Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, by
William Wade Hinshaw (Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing) . You are
mostly interested in Volumes 1 and 2 (I think).

Here's a good article on records of New York Yearly Meeting:
http://www.nygbs.org/info/articles/Quaker_Yearly_Meeting.html

If you can get your hands on Hinshaw, you may find your questions answered.
If not, and your local FHL can't help, you may wish to contact Swarthmore
first and then Haverford at the links I provided above. Do not expect either
to do research for you, although they may be able to direct you more
precisely to the best sources.

Good Luck.

Sincerely,

Scott D. Peters
"Will do history for food..."
Historically Speaking
ALHFAM -FPIPN vice-chair for trivia, errata and miscellany

"The ordinary distinctions in society are often vague, and imply no just
pre-eminence: rank and titles are
adventitious things and instead of designating merit or virtue, are
frequently the baubles of imbecility, or
the sparkling decorations of meretricious pageantry"

William Griffith, on behalf, and by order of the New-Jersey Society for
promoting the gradual Abolition
of Slavery, Twelfth Month (December) 20th, 1803