NJMORRIS-L Archives

Archiver > NJMORRIS > 2000-02 > 0950923982

From: "Joe McGlynn" <>
Subject: [NJMORRIS] French-Indian War Muster Roll, May 1757
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 20:33:02 -0500

SEE NAMES LISTED BELOW !
I have been searching for Information about the French Indian Wars.
Specifically, lists of soldiers that participated that were from Morris
County, N.J.
I'm finding that the sources are few, unless I'm looking in the wrong
places.

I have a specific reason for trying to find information about the
French-Indian War period about the year 1758. One of my ancestors, ANDREW
KING (b abt.1740-d.1830) was described as a soldier that fought in the
battles in New York State, and returned to Morris County in 1758.
(ref.History of Morris County 1882, pg.298).
I suspect that Andrew King was one of the Morris County Troops that served
under Captain WILLIAM WINDS in the New Jersey Regiment described as the
first Regiment of the "Jersey Blues". I think the regiment that included
this Morris County company, was mustered in April 1758, went to New York
state, and returned about September 1758, after sustaining heavy losses.

It's still early in my search, and the only information I've found so far,
that specifically names individual soldiers, is a film I ordered from the
LDS FHC. This film, #0573334, is a copy of notes that reside at the New
Jersey State Archives. The notes were apparently made sometime about
1905-1920, by an unidentified researcher, and given to the Archives in 1920.
The records were copied by the LDS in 1969. I don't know anything about the
source of these notes.

The one page I have found so far, specific to Morris County, is a muster
roll of one company from May, 1757. I'm listing all the names from this one
company, as it may identify soldiers of interest to others. If you do find a
familiar name, and/or can add any information regarding the Colonial War
period of 1758, please let me know. Also, if you know where I can find
additional info listing Colonial War soldiers, please tell me.
Thanks !
Joe McGlynn

**************
A muster roll of a company of the Provincial Forces from Morris County under
command of Captain Lemuel Bowers. Enrolled May 7, 1757

Captain - Lemuel Bowers
Lieutenant - James Howard

Sergeants - Reuben Riggs
John Munson