NJSUSSEX-L Archives

Archiver > NJSUSSEX > 1998-04 > 0893178855

From: Diane Ward <>
Subject: St James Lutheran Church, Greenwich, Warren County
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 13:14:15 -0400

Since Warren County was a part of Essex County, and there is no Warren
County mailing list yet, I have decided to provide a few facts here about
this church. I am a lookup volunteer for Warren County as I have the
cemetery inscriptions and yesterday, I added the Baptisms beginning in 1770
- 1836 and a list of communicants from various dates.

The article which was in The Genealogical Magazine of New Jersey in Volumes
8 and 9 talks about the early church.

It says that the early records of the church..those from about 1750 to 1769
have been lost. Originally there was a union between teh German Reformed
and the Lutheran Churches but the German Reformed church fizzled out by
people moving away and deaths. The church, early on, was affiliated with
St. Michaels Lutheran Church in Philadelphia.

Traditions has it that the first church was constructed of Logs and
thatched with straw..this is how it became known as "The Straw Church".

The second church was built in 1790. The third building was built in 1834.

The first pastors beginning in the year 1770 were Christian Streit and
Peter Muhlenburg. Peter Muhlenburg, at aht time, was the resident
clergyman of Zion Lutheran Church at New Germantown (now Oldwick),
Hunterdon county. This was the same Peter Muhlenburg who became famous as
the Revolutionary General. Christian Streit was also the pastor of a
Lutherin church at Easton, PA.

Hope this is informational to you.

Diane
Diane Ward