NMRIOARR-L Archives

Archiver > NMRIOARR > 2002-09 > 1031531199

From: James FR Morgan <>
Subject: Re: [NMRioArriba] Re: parkview, new mexico
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 18:26:39 -0600

I'm hoping for a connection on Josephine. Any names ring a bell. They are
from Chama and I'm sure connected but how? I have more info on this
family.

What is Eppie's real name?

FIRST GENERATION

1. Josephine Maestas was born on September 21, 1913 in Chama, Rio
Arriba, New Mexico. Josephine Maestas divorced in Montezuma, Colorado
from Thomas Cardenas on 23 Apr 1943. Thomas was born in New Mexico in
1909 to Tomas Cardenas and Refugia Cardenas. The Cardenas family can be
traced back to Garcia Lopez de Cardenas who was with Francisco de Cornado
when he went on his search for the "Seven Cities of Cibola". The seven
cities were believed by the Spaniards to be built with gold. With him
Josephine had two sons; John born in November 1936 and Patrick born about
1939. Patrick died as a very small child. His name was also listed as
Patricio.

SECOND GENERATION

2. Jose Fidel Maestas was born on October 3, 1875 in El Rito, Rio
Arriba, New Mexico. He died on November 20, 1961. He was married to
Felima Montoya on November 9, 1904.

3. Felima Montoya was born on October 17, 1887 in Velarde, Rio Arriba,
New Mexico. She died on November 29, 1964. New Mexico census records
show Felima Montoya and her brother Amaranti Montoya were adopted by
Manuel Miera. Their adopted mother's name is not mentioned on the census.
She is not listed on the 1900 census. Felima's birth father was Gregorio
Montoya, born about 1853, of Bernalillo, New Mexico. His wife was named
Juanita, last name unknown. More research needs to be done to document
that they were Felima's parents but all indication now is that Gregorio
and Juanita were their parents. For now her birth parents are being
listed instead of her adopted parents. Jose Fidel Maestas and Felima
Montoya had the following children:

i.Jose A. Maestas was born in 1908 in San Juan, Rio Arriba, New
Mexico. He died in 1914 in San Juan, Rio Arriba, New Mexico.
ii.Cedelia Maestas was born in 1910 in San Juan, Rio Arriba, New
Mexico.
1iii.Josephine Maestas.
iv.Francisco Maestas was born in 1916. He died in 1980.
v.Carmen Maestas was born in 1917. She died in 1996.
vi.Charlotte Maestas was born in 1919. She died in 1997.
vii.Samuel Maestas was born in 1926. He died in 1982.
viii.Solomon Maestas was born in 1928. He died in 1984.
ix.Ernesto Maestas was born in 1931.

THIRD GENERATION

4. Jose Francisco Maestas was born in August 1842 in El Rito, Rio
Arriba, New Mexico. He died. Jose Francisco was a blacksmith by
profession. He was married first to Maria Guadalupe Abeyta, in 1865 and
they had two children; Antonio born 1867 and Jose Victor born 2 June
1870, both in El Rito, Rio Arriba, New Mexico. Maria Guadalupe Abeyta in
1847, place unknown. She died on 25 February 1871 in El Rito. He was
married to Maria Teresa Romero on May 15, 1871 in El Rito, Rio Arriba,
New Mexico.

5. Maria Teresa Romero was born in February 1845 in El Rito, Rio Arriba,
New Mexico. She died. Jose Francisco Maestas and Maria Teresa Romero
had the following children:

i.Maria Reguela Maestas was born on May 3, 1872 in El Rito, Rio
Arriba, New Mexico. She died.
ii.Jose Maria Maestas was born on May 30, 1872 in El Rito, Rio Arriba,
New Mexico. He died.
iii.Filemon Maestas was born in 1875 in El Rito, Rio Arriba, New
Mexico. He died.
2iv.Jose Fidel Maestas.
v.Reguela Maestas was born in 1877 in El Rito, Rio Arriba, New Mexico.
She died.
vi.Maria Maestas was born on January 3, 1878 in El Rito, Rio Arriba,
New Mexico. She died.
vii.Filemon Maestas was born on March 26, 1880 in El Rito, Rio Arriba,
New Mexico. He died.
viii.Maria Rufina Maestas was born on March 3, 1882 in El Rito, Rio
Arriba, New Mexico. She died.
ix.Filomena Maestas was born in July 1893 in El Rito, Rio Arriba, New
Mexico. He died.

6. Jose Gregorio Montoya was born on December 3, 1853 in Santa Cruz de
la Canada, Santa Fe, New Mexico. He was christened on December 3, 1853
in Santa Cruz de la Canada, Santa Fe, New Mexico. His godparents were
Miquel Montoya and Maria del Partricino Martinez. Gregorio's first name
is listed as Jose when he was baptized. His parents are listed as being
from La Joya on the baptismal record. He was married to Mrs. Juanita
Montoya in 1885 in San Juan, Rio Arriba, New Mexico.

7. Mrs. Juanita Montoya was born in 1856 in San Juan, Rio Arriba, New
Mexico. After Gregorio Montoya died Juanita is believed to have married
Manuel de Esquipulas Miera and he raised her two children as his own.
Manuel de Esquipulas may have adopted them as that information shows on
the 1900 census but no records have been found to prove this fact of
adoption. Manuel de Esquipulas was born 30 November 1839 in Abiquiu, Rio
Arriba, New Mexico. Manuel's godparents were listed as Juan Manuel
Antonio Salazar and Maria Refugio Vigil. Manuel married Maria Geronima
Romero in 1859 and they had eight children; Jose Urban when he was
christened on 15 December 1861, Asapito born 1863, Severo born 13
November 1863, Florentino born 20 October 1867, Luciano born 1871, Flobio
born1876, Elias born September 1881, Terestia born September 1884 The
first six were born in Bosque Grande, San Juan and the last two in
Velarde, Rio Arriba, New Mexico. Manuel de Esquipulas was a laborer on
the 1880 census, page 4, ED 26 in Bosque Precinct. Jose Gregorio
Montoya and Mrs. Juanita Montoya had the following children:

3i.Felima Montoya.
ii.Amaranti Montoya was born in August 1892 in Velarde, Rio Arriba,
New Mexico.

FOURTH GENERATION

8. Jose Maria Maestas was born in 1810 in El Rito, Rio Arriba, New
Mexico. He died. The family surname is Mestas in earlier generations.
He was married to Maria de los Reyes Rodriguez in 1837 in El Rito, Rio
Arriba, New Mexico.

9. Maria de los Reyes Rodriguez was born in 1818 in El Rito, Rio Arriba,
New Mexico. She died. Jose Maria Maestas and Maria de los Reyes
Rodriguez had the following children:

4i.Jose Francisco Maestas.

10. Jose Tomas Romero was born on May 31, 1822 in Abiquiu, Rio Arriba,
New Mexico. He was christened on June 7, 1822 in Abiquiu, Rio Arriba,
New Mexico. He died.

11. Maria Margarita Martinez was born in 1830 in El Rito, Rio Arriba,
New Mexico. She died in Rio Arriba, New Mexico. Her name in earlier
generations is found as Martin-Serrano. Jose Tomas Romero and Maria
Margarita Martinez had the following children:

5i.Maria Teresa Romero.
ii.Delubina Romero was born in 1851 in El Rito, Rio Arriba, New
Mexico. She died in Rio Arriba, New Mexico.
iii.Antonio Romero was born in 1853 in El Rito, Rio Arriba, New
Mexico. He died in Rio Arriba, New Mexico.
iv.Benigna Romero was born in 1856 in El Rito, Rio Arriba, New Mexico.
She died in Rio Arriba, New Mexico.
v.Trinea Romero was born in 1857 in El Rito, Rio Arriba, New Mexico.
She died in Rio Arriba, New Mexico.
vi.Teresa Romero was born in 1859 in El Rito, Rio Arriba, New Mexico.
She died in Rio Arriba, New Mexico.
vii.Pazjose Romero was born in 1860 in El Rito, Rio Arriba, New
Mexico. He died in Rio Arriba, New Mexico.
viii.Benito Romero was born in 1863 in El Rito, Rio Arriba, New
Mexico. He died in Rio Arriba, New Mexico.
ix.Jose Victor Romero was born in 1865 in El Rito, Rio Arriba, New
Mexico. He died in Rio Arriba, New Mexico.

Prepared by:
Jim Morgan
320 East Vine #4
Murray, Utah 84107
801-261-1906

On 8 Sep 2002 16:39:46 -0600 writes:

> Surnames: MAESTAS ARCHULETA
> Classification: Query
>
> Message Board URL:
>
> http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/JSB.2ACI/589.2
>
> Message Board Post:
>
> My husband is a MAESTAS, is father is eppie Maestas I have no
> info on family history . Can you help I know they lived around
> park view, chama blanco .

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

This thread: