NOLAND-L Archives

Archiver > NOLAND > 2000-09 > 0968020661

From: "shirleyreynolds" <>
Subject: [NOLAND] Noland/Nolens in the Civil War
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 17:37:41 -0500

For all you Noland/Nolen researchers out there:
I've had a lot of requests for information on these Nolen families in
eastern Kentucky. I'm taking the easy way out and sending a copy of my
latest notes - and they are "rough" notes - some of it is conjecture and
just my opinion. We are starting into the busiest part of the year and
from here on out it's going to be very difficult for me to get to the
library to do any research - might get to go a couple of times between now
and January. If anyone has any futher info on any of these men let me
know - if there are any errors or mistakes please let me know and I'll be
glad to correct them.

S. J. Reynolds
Liberty County Texas

Noland, John Pvt. 4th Inf. Co. E Union Army
NOTE: Not sure yet who this John belongs to.

Noland, Nicholas Pvt. 8th Inf. Co. E Union Army
NOTE: I believe that Nicholas is from the Noland lines of Madison Co. or
Estill Co. Ky.

Noland, Jeremiah 1st Lt. 22 Inf. Co. I Union Army
NOTE: Jeremiah is the son of ? Noland and Syrena ?. Married to Maria
Gardner July 1852 in Bourbon Co. Ky., Melvina Lowe October 1853 in Carter
Co. Ky., and Roseanna Gilbert September 1881 in Jackson Co. Ohio. Jeremiah
resigned his commission on July 14, 1862. Jeremiah supposedly had a
daughter by Maria - - he had four children by Melvina Lowe and six children
by Roseanna Gilbert. Jeremiah died in February of 1892 and is buried in
the Nolen Cemetery in Carter Co.

Nolen, James M. Sgt. 22 Inf. Co. I Union Army
NOTE: Brother to Jeremiah above - married to Roseanna Gilbert November
1859 in Carter Co. Ky., Clarinda Gullett May 1874 in Carter Co. Ky. I've
never found where James had any children by either one of these marriages.
James died in November of 1889 in Carter Co. Ky.

Noland, Nathan Pvt. 22 Inf. Co. F Union Army
NOTE: Not sure yet about this Nathan - I don't know when he enlisted but
if this is the son of Jesse Noland and Nancy Hux(Hicks) then he was only 10
years old in 1860. According to census records and marriage records I have
found Nathan was born July of 1850. I found a marriage record for a Nathan
H. Noland and Augustine Waugh in Carter Co. Ky. Jan 5, 1871. His military
pension records have his widow as Mary J. Kennedy. So I'm not sure if this
is the same Nathan. Of course he was 13 in 1863 and 14 in 1864 so he could
have enlisted by then.

Nolen, William Pvt. 22 Inf. Co. D Union Army
NOTE: This William is the son of Stephen Nolen and Nancy Reynolds of Lewis
Co. Ky. Widow on his military records is Nancy Jane Clark whom he married
around 1865 after his first wife, Malinda Henderson, died. William died
December of 1892 and is buried at Olive Hill in Carter Co.

Noland, Preston Cpl. 6th Ky. Vol. Inf. Co. M. Union Army
NOTE: Preston is the son of Nathaniel Noland and Ann Gipson of Floyd Co.
Ky. I don't have anything on Preston's family but I know he moved to
Tennessee sometime after the war - that's where he applied for his
military pension. Preston's brother, James K. (or P.) also mved to
Tennessee sometime after 1870.

Reynolds, Joseph Pvt. 6th Ky. Cav. Co. B. Union Army
NOTE: This is conjecture on my part but I believe that Joseph is a brother
to Nancy Reynolds that was married to Stephen Nolen. I think this Reynolds
family was in Patrick Co. Va. in the early 1800's and I believe that Joseph
was married to an Amburgey. Nancy had a sister Catherine (Caty) Reynolds
who married Shadrach Hall Slone 1804 in Patrick Co. Va. Nancy had another
sister named Polly who married Isham Adkins Slone, brother to Shadrach.

Noland, Sylvester Pvt. 14th Cav. Co. B Union Army
NOTE: Sylvester is a son of Nathaniel Noland and Ann Gipson of Floyd Co.
Ky. I don't have very much information about Sylvester yet - - haven't
searched for him after the war.

Nolen, Richard Pvt. 14 Ky. Vol. Inf. Co. B Union Army
NOTE: I have not proven this yet but I think that this Richard is the son
of Stephen Nolen and Nancy Reynolds of Lewis Co. Ky. Richard was married
to Naomi ? in Lewis Co. Ky., Mary Wellman in Lawrence Co. Ky., and then to
Rebecca Wellman of Lawrence Co. Ky. Rebecca is listed as the widow on his
military pension.

Nolen, James K. Pvt. 14 Ky. Vol. Inf. Co. C/H Union Army
NOTE: James K. is a son of Nathaniel Noland and Ann Gipson of Floyd Co.
Ky. James moved to Tennessee after the war and that's where he applied for
his military pension. Found James and his mother Ann on the 1870 Carter
Co. Ky. census living next to Ephraim and Sarah Kelly. I believe that
Sarah was the first child born to Nathaniel and Ann. Ann died sometime
before 1880 because Nathaniel is a widower in the 1880 census.

Noland, James R. Pvt. 14 Ky. Vol. Inf. Co. H Union Army
NOTE: James Richard Nolen - his marker in the Nolen Cemetery in Carter
Co. Ky. has born March 10, 1833 and died in 1887. I don't have a clue as
to who his parents are yet. Sometimes he goes by the name James and
sometimes he goes by Richard. On his military records he goes by James
R. and his widow is listed as Phebe J. Nolen. Phebie J. Nolen is buried in
the Nolen Cemetey also and her marker gives her death date as 1934 and a
notation says says she is the wife of James R. Carter Co. birth records
for 1879 show a Serinda Nolen born April of 1879 in Scioto Co. Ohio and
gives parents as Richard Nolen and Phebe J. Stephens (her maiden name) both
of Carter Co. Ky. Carter Co. Ky. death records for 1878 show a two month
old female that was born in Scioto Co. Ohio and died June 29, 1878 in
Scioto Co. I can't tell from the writing what this baby's name is - looks
like Cle______ E. Parents listed as Richard and Phoebe Nolen, both born
in Carter Co. Ky.

Noland, Leonard Pvt. 14 Ky. Vol. Inf. Co. H Union Army
NOTE: Leonard is a son of Nathaniel Noland and Ann Gipson of Floyd Co. Ky.
I believe that Leonard was married to Angeline Rice - found them on the
1850 Carter Co. census. At some point in time - don't know when yet - I
believe that Leonard deserted from the Union Army and enlisted in Caudill's
13th Kentucky Cavalry - CSA. Found him listed on the roster as a Private
in Company F.

Nolen, Solomon A. Pvt. 16th Ky. Vol. Inf. Co. K Union Army
NOTE: Solomon is a son of Stephen Noland and Nancy Reynolds of Lewis Co.
KY. Solomon died April 17, 1862 at Ashland in Boyd Co. Ky in one of the
epidemics that periodically swept through those camps.

Nolen, Wm. H. Pvt. 17th Ky. Vol. Inf. Co. F. Union Army
NOTE: I'm not sure who this William belongs to. Whoever he is - I believe
he had a brother named George. William H. and George are buried in the
Nolen Cemetery in Carter Co. I just don't know how he and George fit in to
these families in Floyd, Lewis, and Carter Co. - yet. William's wife was
Martha J. and he had a son named Thomas.

Nolen, James M. Pvt. 24th Ky. Vol. Inf. Co. F Union Army
NOTE: James is a son of Stephen Noland and Nancy Reynolds of Lewis Co. Ky.
James married Mary Gorman June 1851 in Lewis Co. Ky. James died in
November of 1903 in Lewis Co. I have had many researchers tell me that
this James was the son of Nathaniel Noland and Ann Gipson -- but I just
don't see how he could be. He is not listed on the 1850 Lewis Co. Ky.
census with Stephen and Nancy and the rest of their children - he was born
in September of 1833 according to records that have been found - he would
have been 17 - I'm not sure why he isn't with them. He was around the age
of 18 when he married. I have never been able to connect him with any
other family. He appears on the tax list in Lewis Co. Ky. for the first
time in 1856 and is on it through 1875. He never had any wife except for
Mary Gorman and all his children were born in Lewis Co. Ky. James never
moved around eastern Kentucky like the rest of these Nolen families did -
which has made it a lot easier to document him that some of the others I
have been trying to connect with families.

Nollen, Apperson Pvt. 39th Ky. Mtd. Co. F Union Army
NOTE: Apperson is a son of Nathaniel Noland and Ann Gipson of Floyd Co.
Ky. Note on his military records states he was "killed January 1, 1864 by
guerillas in Floyd Co. Ky." 1860 Floyd Co. Ky. census gives birthyear as
1845.

Slone, Morgan Pvt. 39th Ky. Mtd Co. I Union Army
NOTE: Morgan is the son of Isham Adkins Slone and Polly Reynolds. The
Nancy Reynolds who married Stephen Nolen is his aunt. Morgan married Nancy
Nolen - daughter of Nathaniel Noland and Ann Gipson in 1850 in Floyd Co.
Ky. Morgan deserted from the Union Army and enlisted in Diamond's 10th
Kentucky Cavalry Co. G. (CSA) on March 28, 1863.

Slone, Simeon Pvt. 39th Ky. Mtd. Co. I Union Army
NOTE: I believe that Simeon is a brother or cousin to Morgan - he was in
the same company with Morgan in the 39th Ky. Mounted - deserted and
enlisted in Diamond's 10th Kentucky Calvary Co. C (CSA) on August 1,
1862.

This thread: