NOR-VOSSELAG-L Archives

Archiver > NOR-VOSSELAG > 2008-03 > 1204949763

From: Dennis Gray <>
Subject: [NOR-VOSSELAG] Norheim
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 22:16:03 -0600

Are you Robert somehow related to Rosenius Norheim? He was an evangelist and has family in Madock, North Dakota.
Dennis Gray> Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 18:49:45 -0800> From: > To: > Subject: [NOR-VOSSELAG] Norheim> > Greetings to the list,> I've been lurking for some time but I suppose, now that my surname has > actually popped up in a recent email, it's time for me to introduce > myself. Sorry if this is a little rambling. If it gets boring, skip to > my question in the last paragraph.> > I'm Robert Norheim. My great grandparents are Wiking Brynjulvson Nordheim > (1857-1939) and Inger Oddsdatter Fletre (1865-1945), both from Voss but > married after they both came to Chicago. The Nordheim (Norheim, Nordhem) > surname was mentioned in in the Per Sampson Een email the other day, as he > married Sigrid Gitlesdatter, sister to my great-great grandfather Brynjulv > Gitleson (1819-1908).> > Per Sampson Een was also the father to Nils Sampson (Een) (1849-1907) who > married my great-grandfather's sister Barbara Brynjulvdtr (1852-1935).> > I was very lucky to have a cousin (Helen Fletre, wife of well-known Voss > artist Lars Fletre) research our family's pedigree in the Kindem books. > So, on the Norheim side, I can go back to 1603, and on the Fletre side, to > 1505 (Aslak Brattåker). She did this after we had an influx of family > visitors from Norway and I asked "how am I related to all these people". > Little did I know.> > It is so fun to look at a map of the Voss area and see all the names of > the farms that also appear in my pedigree ... Norheim, Fletre, Klove, > Ringheim, Nesheim, Rokne, Gjøstein, Repål, etc. So I am sure that I am > related to many of you, if we go back enough generations. Similarly, when > I walk down the street in Voss with my cousin, he is constantly pointing > out people that are cousins to him -- seemingly half the town.> > My great-grandfather was one of 10 children, most of whom came to America. > Gitle was the eldest and the first to come, to Chicago. He made a small > name for himself and is in the Rene book. His brother Wiking, my > great-grandfather, founded ( with the Highland (Høyland) family) the > Nordhem-Highland Company, furniture manufacturers (also mentioned in the > Rene book). Two of their Uncles also emigrated to America and settled in > Decorah, where I still have fourth cousins. Several of their nieces and > newphews also came to America as well.> > My impression is that Gitle Nordheim (Jetlee Nordhem after he came to > Chicago) was the person to see for many recent Voss immigrants to Chicago. > Certainly he helped out many other Nordheims who came over, such as Per > Sampson Een's (from the email the other day) son Nils Sampson who married > Gitle's sister. Their children (Paul and Nora Sampson) were well known to > my father. There was quite a community of Nordhems in Chicago in the > 1920s that my father was born into. My father was an only child so his > many cousins were very important to him. As a result, I know many third > cousins, now all around the country.> > Last October I visited the house that Gitle built in the Logan Square area > of Chicago. The house was in the hands of the family through 1968 when an > elderly relative died; the house has been in the hands of only two > families since then and the current occupants were eager to hear more of > the history of the house.> > We have stayed in close touch with the family back on the farm at Norheim; > in fact I took my family there just last month, their first visit, my > fifth. My eight year old daughter was very taken with her 35 year old > fourth cousin who has her own sheep farm over near Hamar; now my daughter > wants to be a sheep farmer. My third cousin who currently has the farm > did a PhD in the states so he was one of our many visitors when I was > growing up.> > As you can tell I am as interested in current generations as well as the > pedigree.> > Given that I am mid-career, mid-remodel, and raising a family, I am not > doing any current research on the family. The work that Helen Fletre did > on the pedigree was great, and I have filled in more recent generations of > cousins. I do have some questions that I would like to research someday, > filling in some of the brothers and sisters in the earlier generations > where I currently just have the pedigree (not too hard perhaps from the > Kindem book), and finding out which ships the various emigrés came over > on.> > One question that you on the list may be able to help me on. It turns out > that my wife's brother-in-law is from the Dale farm in Ulvik. They know > (but they haven't gotten the actual lines to me) that they are related to > the famous Knute Rockne. I know that, in my Fletre line, I am related to > a Knut Rokne (I don't have dates on him but his son Per Knutson (Store) > Ringheim was born in 1698). I know that there are multiple Rokne farms > and I am wondering if anyone can tell me whether the Knut Rokne in my > background is actually related to the football coach. If so, I will > pursue it further with my brother-in-law's family to get their genealogy > to connect the dots between him and me.> > Thanks for reading and if anything I have mentioned sparks a question, > please ask!> > Robert Norheim> Seattle> > PS See http://staff.washington.edu/norheim/norheim.html for an explanation > about Nordheim/Norheim/Nordhem> > -------------------------------> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message