NORCAL-L Archives

Archiver > NORCAL > 2000-03 > 0953255862

From: Chris Havnar <>
Subject: Re: Archive all data, not just census forms
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 17:17:42 -0800

Nancy,

Too true. We had a fire at work upstairs a couple of years ago, and the
sprinklers came on .... almost everybody stored their back up disks RIGHT
NEXT to the computer, those were toast.

Once a quarter, or so, I send to brother-in-law, back-ups. I think I have
fire, theft, and earthquake covered.

When his system crashed - to have all the pictures on a CD was cool, we
hadn't lost all of them - he already had a fire 5 years ago and lost tons
of stuff. Soxs and shirts can repurchased - but those old 1900ish pictures
are not replacable.

Christine

At 10:31 AM 3/16/00 -0800, Nancy Posey wrote:
>When was the last time each of you backed up your data? Do it today!!! And
>store your disk in another place outside of your home. Otherwise, you will
>have only an expensive hockey puck for all of our work.
>
>I read of a woman who took nine years to write her family history. She
>diligently saved her files and kept the disk right next to her computer. Lo
>and behold, someone stole her computer AND her disks. She did not have the
>heart to recreate all of her work.
>
>Nancy Posey
>Graham Washington

The Havnar Family Network