NORCAL-L Archives

Archiver > NORCAL > 2001-05 > 0990076613

From: "Sid Michaels" <>
Subject: Re: Monterey County Geography
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 21:16:53 -0800

I'm not sure what the original question was, but...
Mount Diablo (in Contra Costa County) is a major landmark in central
California, and as such was used for surveying land all over the place,
including Monterey County. That's why there is a reference in land records
to the Mt. Diablo meridian, which is the main survey line that everything
else is related to, or measured from. If you drive to the top of the
mountain (do it on a clear day to enjoy the gorgeous view) you can see the
famous survey marker that is the important point from which much of
California was originally surveyed, and is still measured.
--Mary Beth Michaels