NORCAL-L Archives

Archiver > NORCAL > 2002-06 > 1024852564

From: Sheila A Muniain <>
Subject: Re: Sonoma Co. CA. 1920
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 10:16:04 -0700

Kathy,
Thanks so much for all you sent...this really helps. I've been so
involved in finding my mother's Hispanic ancestors that I've really
neglected the other parts of my children's family. This will send me in
the right directions. The brother born just after John Henry HAUB, Oscar
Jacob HAUB, is the line I'm tracing. I knew him before he died...the
sweetest little old man! He told me I reminded him of one of his old
girlfriends named Virginia...so he called me that until he died. I was
just 12 or so when I first met him, but later when I married his grandson
we named our first child Virginia, just for Oscar.

Is the Long Family Ranch Cemetery open to visit...you said you did in
1974, but is it available now? Is there someone to contact first?I'm in
the Modesto area so this would be a several hour drive to get to
Healdsburg and Geyserville.

Do you know anything more about this HAUB family? The father of John
Henry and Oscar Jacob was Frederick Thomas HAUB, supposedly from Germany.
The family story is that he was a stowaway on a ship and was fed by some
of the crew who knew he was there...and that he somehow ended up in the
Healdsburg area...I have no idea how much, if any, of this story is real.
I would like to find a marriage record for Frederick Thomas HAUB and Sara
Margaret OWENS...that I'm guessing would be in the same area. They
married 09 May 1878. Perhaps the marriage record might mention his
parents. Her parents were Thomas Andrew OWENS and Nancy Pea RICE, he from
Arkansas and she from Memphis, TN.

Again, thanks so much for your time and efforts.
Sheila :)

On Sat, 22 Jun 2002 17:54:48 -0700 Katherine T Moulthrop