NORCAL-L Archives

Archiver > NORCAL > 2002-10 > 1034358122

From: "Jan Davis" <>
Subject: Re: Famous Wagon Train Parties of 46', The Dedication of My Research...
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:42:02 -0700

Hi Dolores and List - I am reading a fascinating book right now, "The
California Trail", by George R. Stewart, written in 1962. It talks about the
development of the route west from 1841, one year at a time. I am just
starting the 1846 chapter and will watch for your Morin family mentioned.
They don't have lists after 1843, too many people but it often mention
names.
For those if you interested in the western migration like I am, I recommend
this book highly!!! It really gets into the whys and whos of those early
groups. Politics and feuds, the way of life along the way, how they set up a
small travelling society of strangers, etc. It also has maps, and I read the
chapters with current maps to compare where the trails were from the midwest
into Sacramento from north and south.
I am hoping to set out and find the old ways someday, my idea of a dream
vacation. I know, I'm crazy!!! I would have liked to go on that wagon train
trip in 1999, commemorating the 150th anniversary of the gold rush.
Jan Davis, fifth generation Californian, looking for my Rickard,
Hicks, Thomas, Perry, Chegwidden and Moore families who went to Northern
California between 1856 - 1879, to work in the mines of Santa Clara and
Nevada Counties and also Virginia City, Nevada.