NORCAL-L Archives

Archiver > NORCAL > 2008-03 > 1204538530

From: "Philip Van Camp" <>
Subject: Re: [NORCAL] Recent Marriage
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 02:02:10 -0800

This would appear to be an example, why Rootsweb and Ancestry have a policy
of using these lists to look up information on living persons.
I suppose the family wants to check up on him, but isn't it the young man's
personal business whether or not he is married?
Further, under California law, besides the usual marriage that is recorded
for public consumption, there is also a class of "Confidential Marriage"
which is quite legal and for which only the parties can obtain the
information as to date and place of the marriage.
And also, he may have gone to another county to get married for some
personal reason ( only one e.g. maybe the bride's family residence among
innumerable possibilities). Thus not finding the marriage in Tulare does not
mean with any certainty that he is not married.
Phil in SoCal