NORCAL-L Archives

Archiver > NORCAL > 2008-03 > 1205107747

From: Kathy Minges <>
Subject: Re: [NORCAL] Temple of Music on Bush Street, San Francisco
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 17:09:07 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Nancy! I don't have access to those old city directories.

As Jim mentioned in his response, minstrel shows were popular in the 1860 and '70s. Because of the age of one of my ancestors, who was billed as one of two "acrobatic violinists," I'm thinking that the Temple of Music was probably active between 1871 and 1876. Next step will be to track down a resource for the city directories from that period to see if this theory holds up.

Of course, there's always the possibility that the Temple of Music wasn't in business long enough to be included in any city directory.

Thanks again,
Kathy