NORCAL-L Archives

Archiver > NORCAL > 2008-03 > 1205893817

From: "A. Mason Design" <>
Subject: Re: [NORCAL] question
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:30:17 -0700

It's best to look at the actual dates on the individual pages of the
1850 census for the county you are interested in. Back then, the
enumerators went door-to-door, so to speak, and did an on-the-spot count
with writeup. The census taker utilized either a horse or a horse and
buggy to get from one residence to another. In the more outlying areas
of a county, it could take days or weeks before most everyone was
accounted for.

I've found numerous examples of one individual showing up more than once
in the same census within the same county. When I checked the dates on
the pages, I realized the dates were sometimes days if not weeks apart.
I've got one indirect ancestor who was enumerated in September of 1850
in Eldorado County. On June 1st of that year he was an in-residence
government official in Monterey County but he is not in the Monterey
County U.S. Census.

Hope this helps,
Anita C.
Monterey County

wrote:

>The official enumeration day of the 1850 census was 1 June 1850. All
>questions asked were supposed to refer to that date.
>
>Sharon
>Kern Co.
>
>In a message dated 3/18/2008 4:01:07 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> writes:
>
>OK, NorCallers, help me remember the "as of" date for the 1850 census.
>As of what date were the questions supposed to be answered? Blessed
>if I can remember!

This thread: