NORCAL-L Archives

Archiver > NORCAL > 2008-06 > 1214357113

From: "Phil Carnahan" <>
Subject: [NORCAL] Ancestry California Death Index
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 18:25:13 -0700

I sending this to the list to let as many of you as possible know that the
California Death Index 1940-1997 posted on Ancestry.com is incomplete. I
tried to look up the death of three members of one family today and none of
them showed up. While I was looking on Ancestry someone else was looking on
the microfiche and found all three. We then double checked Ansestry and
didn't find them. We jumped over to the California Death Index on Rootsweb
and they were listed there. We also checked the original CDs issued by the
State of California and all three were listed there.

A note posted to the Ancestry Help people got me back the following
response:

We appreciate your message. We apologize for any inconvenience. At this time
we are working to complete the posting of information in the California
death index . We do not have an official release schedule for future
postings. Certain information may not currently be available due to varying
issues. These include (but are not limited to) research, rescanning, and
quality assurance matters. We will complete the posting of this database as
quickly as possible, but there will be some delay before the entire project
is completed. Thank you for your patience.

PLEASE NOTE: In addition to the above issues governing when more information
is added to this database, this data is supplied by a third party. Periodic
updates to this database are provided to Ancestry.com as these are made by
the organization responsible for collecting this information. However, the
frequency of these updates varies.

I would suggest that you STOP using the California Death Index 1940-1997 on
Ancestry or at the very least double check anyone you can find on Ancestry
with another index.

Phil Carnahan
Ukiah, CA

Mendocino County Indexes