NORFOLK-L Archives

Archiver > NORFOLK > 1999-02 > 0918480223

From: "Stuart Sheldrake (PS-UK)" <>
Subject: RE: Sheldrake of Gt Abington
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 13:23:43 -0000

Hi Adrian

At the moment I've no connection with the Sheldrakes from Great
Abington, Cambridge.

My Sheldrake roots are in the Great Bircham/Docking area of NW Norfolk
however I believe that the oldest Sheldrake I have came from Suffolk.

Thomas Sheldrake born about 1787, married Susannah Ransome in Great
Bircham on 19 August 1813.

The 1851 census gives Thomas's birthplace as NK-SUFFOLK which I've been
told probably means a place in Suffolk not known to the enumerator.
Later censuses give his birthplace as Great Bircham which I know is not
correct.

My branch of the family trailed south through East Dereham, Roudham,
East Harling and Thetford (where I was born).

Have you tried the Sheldrick list (
<mailto:> ) which includes Sheldrakes ?

And as for the world's greatest football team, the pride of East Anglia,
as all Norfolk boys know we're just suffering the usual post Christmas
blues. I'm sure Bruce will turn things around and we will make the
play-offs (as long as Keith O'Neill doesn't take any more penalties).

Regards

Stuart Sheldrake in Peterborough, England

NFHS Member #5369
Family History Interests:
BAXTER, BECKETT, BISHOP, BRAHAM, DUFFIELD, ELSEY,
MILES, MONSEY, RANSOME, REEVE, SHELDRAKE in Norfolk
BOLES, TAYLOR in London
BOLES, STUART, TAYLOR in Co. Leitrim, Ireland

On the ball City !
Loyal supporter of Norwich City Football Club