NORFOLK-L Archives

Archiver > NORFOLK > 2001-02 > 0981244008

From: "JANET BOLTON" <>
Subject: Re: Church Tunnels
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 23:46:48 -0000

I was interested to read the discussion on Church tunnels. It
reminded me of a tunnel in North Elmham. The story, as I remember it
from the 1940's, said the tunnel ran from the ruins of the demolished
Cathedral in the grounds of North Elmham Church to Walsingham Abbey.
I, with a couple of young friends, investigated the tunnel but it
collapsed after we had travelled a short distance. We were lucky to
escape with minor cuts and the tunnel was then sealed off. Does
anyone know any more about this tunnel ?

Good wishes, Janet.