NORFOLK-L Archives

Archiver > NORFOLK > 2001-02 > 0983371353

From: "Janelle Penney" <>
Subject: January 1866 Beccles & Bungay Weekly News
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 03:42:33 +1300

DEATHS - if anyone finds a death listed here, it would be a good idea to
check with me for any other details that might come to hand. Deaths through
accidents, or those resulting in an inquest, may have additional material in
the paper. In addition, auctioneers' advertisements for sales relating to
deceased estates can sometimes yield quite detailed lists of the late
person's possessions.

Beccles & Bungay Weekly News 2 January 1866
Page 4, column 6
>From microfilm supplied by the British Library Newspaper Library
On the 25th December, at the Wesleyan Chapel, Lowestoft, by the Rev John
LOCKE, Mr William CROWE, to Mrs Judith Agnes WELHAM, both of Lowestoft.

On the 25th December, at Gorleston Church, by the Rev --ALLNUTT, Mr Henry
GOULDER, of Barton, to Mary, only daughter of the late Mr James THURLOW, of
Great Yarmouth.

On the 25th December, at the parish church, Beccles, by the Rev C.H. SHAW,
curate, George SAMPSON, to Sarah Ann PAIN, both of Beccles.

On the 27th December, at the Congregational Chapel, Lowestoft, by the Rev
J.B. BLACKMORE, Mr Henry HITCHAM, to Miss Phoebe WEST, both of Pakefield,

On the 23rd December, at Hastings, aged 74, Anne, widow of the late George
EVERITT, Esq., of Lowestoft.

On the 26th December, at Baldock, Herts., Sarah, the wife of Mr Alfred BOON,
and eldest daughter of the late Mr William HOLDRON, of Beccles.

On the 28th December, at his residence, Great Yarmouth, Mr Charles ENGLISH,
aged 78.

On the 28th December, aged 82 years, Mrs PEARCE, of Beccles.

On the 31st December, at Beccles, Amelia, wife of Mr BUCKLE, of Bury, aged
29 years.

Beccles & Bungay Weekly News 9 January 1866
Page 4, column 6
>From microfilm supplied by the British Library Newspaper Library
On the 28th December, at Topcroft, by the Rev J.G. BRISCOE, Mr George MOORE,
farmer, Hempnall, to Miss POPPY, niece of the late Mr Robert POPPY, of

On the 2nd January, at Trinity Church, Bungay, Mr Neslin MOORE, of
Southelmham St Margaret's, to Catherine, youngest daughter of Mrs Robert
WOOLNOUGH, Broad-street, Bungay.

On the 2nd January, at Hevingham Church, by the Rev E.R. BEEVOR, Mr George
Frederic CHAPPELL, of Halesworth School, to Elizabeth SEWTER, of the former

On the 4th January, at St Michael's Church, Beccles, by the Rev R. Mortimer
LUCOCK, Curate of St John's, Hamersmith, the Rev C.W. SHICKLE, B. A., Curate
of Tiverton, Bath, to Marianne, eldest daughter of J.K. GARROD, Esq., the
Grove, Beccles. No cards.

On the 4th January, at the Martyr's Memorial Baptist Chapel, Beccles, by the
Rev Geo. [sic] WHITE, Mr George G. MOORE, of Norwich, to Emma Elliston, only
child of Mr John ALDRED, of the above town.

On the 7th January, at Beccles Church, by the Rev C.H.SHAW, Samuel ELVIN to
Mary Anne Elizabeth BAKER, both of Beccles.

On the 31st December, the beloved wife of Thomas ALDIS, of Harleston, aged
51 years.

On the 31st December, at Ditchingham, aged 75, after a very protracted
illness, Elizabeth, the beloved wife of Mr Robert DAVY, sub-postmaster and

On the 4th January, at Beccles, aged 6 weeks, Selina Ellen, daughter of Mr

On the 2nd January, at Beccles, Mr Charles SMITH, brazier, aged 38 years.

In addition to the above: -
Beccles & Bungay Weekly News 9 January 1866
Page 4, column 3
>From microfilm supplied by the British Library Newspaper Library
....On Sunday 31st December, a young man applied to the officer in charge at
the police station, Tower Churchyard, Ipswich, for an order for a night's
lodging in the Union. Sergeant FIRMIN told the young man that he must be
searched, but he refused to accede to this, unless he could be searched by a
woman. FIRMIN said that this could not be allowed, and then the applicant
acknowledged that she was a woman, and that her name was Ellen CARTER. She
was taken to No 2 Police Station, and searched by Mrs THOMPSON, wife of the
officer in charge at the station. She was entirely destitute, but was
respectably dressed except being barefooted. She stated she was 19 years of
age; her parents formerly resided at Yarmouth, where her father died about
three years since. Her uncle sold off the effects, and she then started to
see the world with 3 Pounds in her pocket. She assumed male attire on
reaching London, and obtained a situation as errand boy, in the
establishment of Messrs NICOLSON and ARNOTT, silk merchants, St Paul's
Churchyard. She remained in that situation for two years, and then went
several voyages to sea as cabin-boy. Her desire to see more of the world
prompted her to abandon the sea and take to the road, and her last tramp was
from Peterborough, and she arrived in Ipswich quite destitute on Sunday, the
31st January, without shoe or stocking. She was detained at the No 2 police
station till Wednesday morning, and in the mean time several small sums of
money was [sic] given to her, and on Wednesday morning she went away by the
Parliamentary train for London, the money she had received being sufficient
to purchase a pair of boots and to leave a few shillings for a fresh start.
She is described as tolerably good looking, and as making up so well as a
boy as to pass muster under the keenest eyes. She appears to have been well
educated, and during her stay at the police station she worked some
difficult sums with the greatest ease, and could write well and with
facility two or three different hands. She informed the policeman that she
could play with ease upon several musical instruments, and that since she
had "been a boy" she had learned to play upon the flute. The police station
not being supplied with musical instruments there was no opportunity of
testing her attainments in this direction, but she appears to have impressed
those who came in contact with her very favourably, and it is a pity that
some effort was not made either to restore her to her friends, or to induce
her to settle to some situation or employment consistent with her sex. When
she left Ipswich she stated that her object in going to London was to seek
employment or assistance at the hands of her former employers.

Beccles & Bungay Weekly News 16 January 1866
Page 4, column 6
>From microfilm supplied by the British Library Newspaper Library
On the 9th January, at Beccles Church, by the Rev C.H. SHAW, curate, James
SMITH, labourer, to Mary Ann Jane BLAXILL, both of Beccles.

On the 15th January, at St Michael's Church, Beccles, by the Rev C.H. SHAW,
Mr Thomas COBB, to Louisa, eldest daughter of Mr Thomas CHERRY, boot and
shoemaker, Beccles.

On the 2nd January, at Brixton,Commander Thomas HAMBY, R.N., in the 82nd
year of his age.

On the 8th January, at Bungay, aged 7 years, Alice, youngest daughter of the
late Mr Robert MORE, grocer.

On the 11th January, at Beccles, Mary Ann, wife of Mr George BLOCK,
carpenter, Beccles, aged 31 years.

Beccles & Bungay Weekly News 23 January 1866
Page 4, column 6
>From microfilm supplied by the British Library Newspaper Library
On the 15th January, at St John's Church, Lynn, by the Rev J. FERNIE,
Richard, second son of Mr Richard ROWE, station master, Mutford, Suffolk, to
Sarah, second daughter of Richard THORNTON, Esq., Beccles.

On the 12th January, suddenly, aged 41, Mr Alfred BOWLES, of Aldeburgh,
leaving a widow and ten children, and regretted by a large circle of
friends. --(The deceased, who was considered one of the finest violinists in
the Eastern Counties, only a few days since conducted a rehearsal of sacred
music arranged to be performed at the opening of the New Masonic Hall,
Ipswich, on the 22nd January.)

On the 15th January, at Sproughton, aged 69, Martha Louisa, only surviving
daughter of the late Rev George STONE, rector of Hopton, Suffolk.

On the 16th January, at Great Yarmouth, Jane Frances, the beloved wife of
William H. BESSEY, Esq.

On the 17th January, at Earsham White House, Bungay, Kate Maria, the fourth
and beloved daughter of Charles and Emillie [sic] HAWARD, aged 14 years and
11 months.

On the 18th January, Martha Jane, youngest daughter of Mr James ALDOUS,

On the 13th January, at the Waldrons, Croydon, aged 18, Letitia Ann,
youngest daughter of the Rev H. Belward [sic] Moyse BELWARD, Mettingham,

On the 19th January, at Beccles, aged 66, the Rev Charles HICKMAN.

In addition to the above: -
Beccles & Bungay Weekly News 23 January 1866
Page 4, column 4
>From microfilm supplied by the British Library Newspaper Library
Appaling [sic] Life-Boat Accident.
Twelve Lives Lost.
At noon on Saturday, the 13th January, a most terrible and melancholy
catastrophe occurred at Gorleston, which has resulted in the loss of no
fewer than twelve brave and experienced boatmen. The facts are as follows: -
In the forenoon, a vessel with a signal of distress in her maintopmast
rigging was observed to be running northward through the roads, and at once
the lifeboats "Rescuer" and "Friend of All Nations" were fully manned and
proceeded out of the harbour in order to render assistance. The wind at the
same time was blowing a gale from the S.S.W. The sea was rather rough, and
there was an exceedingly nasty swell on the bar. Both lifeboats were under
reefed sails, the "Rescuer" just ahead, and on the port side of the "Friend
of All Nations." As they passed over the bar, the "Rescuer" touched the
ground, in consequence of which her rudder became unshipped. At this moment
a heavy sea struck her and she caught the ground, and immediately turned
over bottom upwards, the crew, numbering 16, being underneath. Two of these,
named Robert WARNER, sen., and George PALMER, managed to get from under her
sides, and were rescued by means of boat-hooks by the crew of the other
lifeboat, which had immediately been brought to anchor. The "Friend of All
Nations" was then at once veered round and proceeded after the "Rescuer,"
which in the mean time had beaten over the North Sand bottom upwards with
two of her crew---Edward WESTWOOD, jun., and William AUSTRIN---who had
succeeded in getting on to her keel. The "Friend of All Nations" came up
with her after she had drifted about three quarters of a mile, and managed
to take off the two above-named men, who were in a very exhausted state.
Every effort was made by the "Friend of All Nations" to recover the rest of
the unfortunate men, but without success, as not a man of them was to be
seen. The following is a correct list of the boatmen saved and lost: -
Edward WESTWOOD, William AUSTRIN, Robert WARNER, and George PALMER.
James WOODS, jun., aged 30, leaves a widow.
Charles WOODS, 26, not married.
Edward WOODS, sen., 56, leaves a widow and three children, aged 21, 17, 15.
Edward WELTON, 28, widow and infant.
Abel NEWSON, 27, widow (enceinte) [pregnant] and two children, aged three
years and two years.
Christopher WHILEY, 52, widow, and six children, aged 19, 17, 14, 12, 8, 4.
Christopher PARKER, 64, widow.
William DAWKINS, 35, widow and five children, aged 9, 7, 5, 3, and infant.
William MANTHORPE, 21, unmarried.
James FLEMING, 24, unmarried.
Benjamin HARRIS, 34, leaves a widow.
The crew of the "Rescuer" were all experienced boatmen, and were under the
command of Robert SPILLINGS, the coxswain, in whom they reposed the greatest
confidence as a man of long experience and steadiness. That the accident
resulted from no want of skill there can be no doubt, but from the
insufficient depth of water and the state of the wind and tide at the time.
The "Rescuer" came ashore subsequently near the Wellington Pier. She
was a boat in the buoyancy and seaworthy qualities of which the men had the
utmost confidence, having been out with her in the heaviest gales. She
belonged to the Ranger Company, for whom she was built in 1856 by Messrs
BEECHING, the father of whom won the Northumberland prize of 100 Pounds for
the best lifeboat.
It ought to be stated that the crew at the time of the accident were
not protected by life-belts, and wore their ordinary clothing, consisting of
guernsey frocks, oily jackets, and heavy sea-boots.
A catastrophe so appaling [sic] has not occurred in this district for
years, and has spread gloom not only over the hamlet of Gorleston and
Southtown, but over the whole of Yarmouth. The list comprises nine widows,
and 22 children, who we believe are most of them, if not all, unprovided

Beccles & Bungay Weekly News 30 January 1866
Page 4, column 6
>From microfilm supplied by the British Library Newspaper Library
On the 25th January, the wife of Mr Charles Sheppard CHILDS, Outney-cottage,
Bungay, of a daughter.

Recently, at Collingwood, by the Rev T.A.BAYLEY, Mr Henry MAPLESTONE, timber
merchant, Elizabeth-street, Melbourne [Australia], youngest son of the late
Mr John MAPLESTONE, of Redisham, in this county, to Elizabeth, youngest
daughter of the late Mr Jonathan EASTWOOD, of Smith-street, Collingwood,

On the 18th January, at the parish Church, Islington, by the Rev J.J. REW,
brother-in-law of the bride, assisted by the Rev G. CALTHROP [sic], Edwin,
third son of James AUSTIN, Esq., of Highbury-grove, to Ellen, fourth
daughter of the late Edward BUTCHER, Esq., of Bungay, in this county.

On the 22nd January, at Southwold Church, Mr J. CHAPMAN, to Emma, youngest
daughter of Mr Henry HAKEN, of that place, saddler.

On the 11th January, drowned in the Bay of Biscay, by the foundering of "The
London,"Mr G. FLICK, late of Sudbury, and formerly of Saxmundham; also his
wife and three children-- Agnes, Thomas and Florence.

On the 16th January, at his residence, Yarmouth, aged 91, Mr Edward

On the 16th January, at Wangford, at the residence of her daughter Mrs
WALES, in the 90th year of her age, Elizabeth, relict of the late Mr William
BARBER, of the Lion Inn.

On the 18th January, Martha Jane, youngest daughter of the late Mr James
ALDOUS, of Harleston.

On the 19th January, at Beccles, aged 10 weeks, Ellen Georgianna, daughter
of Mr James STRATFORD, carpenter.

On the 25th January, at Beccles, Jemima WYNN, aged 60 years.

On the 28th January, at Beccles, Elizabeth, widow of the late Mr Richard
WARNER, aged 87 years.

On the 25th January, in her 81st year, Elizabeth, relict of the late Mr
William CROSS, Bungay, shoemaker.

In addition to the above: -
Beccles & Bungay Weekly News 30 January 1866
Page 4, column 5
>From microfilm supplied by the British Library Newspaper Library
....Robert WARNER, one of the four boatmen rescued by the crew of the
"Friend of All Nations," died on Thursday [25th January] morning. Hopes had
at first been entertained of his recovery, but being a man of advanced years
the shock received by the system was too much for him. This makes the number
of deaths 15. The other three men have perfectly recovered from the effects
of the accident. A meeting was convened by the Mayor, at the Corn-hall, on
Monday, for the purpose of providing for the widows and orphans of the
drowned men, and also of establishing a permanent fund for similar
calamities on future occasions. The attendance was large and influential.
Among the speakers were the Mayor, the Rev Mr NEVILL, minister of the
and resolutions were unanimously carried in accordance with the object of
the meeting. It was stated that subscriptions amounting to between 60 and 70
pounds had already been received by the Mayor and other gentlemen from
various quarters, in consequence of the reports of the calamity which had
appeared in the daily papers. Before the meeting terminated the
subscriptions amounted to 250 Pounds. The boat which capsized and caused the
accident on the 13th January, is in no way connected with the National
Lifeboat Institution, nor is the boat a self-righting one. There are four of
these large salvage boats on the coasts of Norfolk and Suffolk, and one at
Margate. They belong to the boatmen themselves, and are constantly engaged
in saving property. Two of them have recently capsized. Nearly all the 153
boats of the National Lifeboat Institution are self-righting boats, and are
specially used in saving life in cases of shipwreck.

This thread: