NORFOLK-L Archives

Archiver > NORFOLK > 2002-01 > 1010641566

From: Diana and Peter <>
Subject: re politics 1630s - Norwich / names of some people involved
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 21:46:19 -0800 (PST)

Hi I am paddling about in 1500s / 1600s Norwich /Norfolk history as I have got that far back with my Kent line and am trying to find the social context . Firstly, yes I agree the civil war started 1642. Secondly re the intial querie about CROWE I wonder if she was accused of being a witch - witches were put to death as you know so it would have been plenty motivation to emigrate alone.

As far as I understand it Norwich in the 1620s onwards had increased religious tensions The magistrates and councilmen had control over two lectureships in St Andrews and they always sponsored Puritains. 'Green yard' was where they preached just outside the catherdral an obvious challenge to the establishment. In 1622 Bishop HARSNETT forbade peolpe to attend these sunday morning sermons and demanded they attend at the catherdral.

In 1623 300 citizens petitioned lamenting the loss of these sermons. 12 influencial norfolk men bought the advowson of st peter hungate and put in Puritain ministers WILLIAM BRIDGE was the rector and puritan preaching flourished in the city until the 1630s. But when MATTHEW WREN became bishopof Norwich in 1635 he cracked down on Puritans many including BRIDGES went to holland or America. 500 people were driven out of the city mainly leaving from Yarmouth. They include 3 master weavers one was FRANCIS LAWES who took with him his 18 year old apprentice SAMUEL LINCOLN - Abraham Lincoln's ancestor. THOMAS ALLEN went to New England and married the widow of the founder of harvard college, but he returned in 1651.

Some of the names that are mentioned in that period are MOSES TRESWELL- WILLIAM GOSTLIN - JOHN FREEMAN - ALEXANDER ANGUIISH - JOSEPH HALL - JOHN UTTING THOMAS ASHWELL -THOMAS BROWNE -ADRIAN PARMENTER - SAMUEL CAWSTON- WILLIAM TRUE - CHARLES EMERSON - ANTHONY WILSON - EDWARD GRAYE -HENRY COWARD - CHRISTOPHER HILL - THOMAS & JOHN BIDEWELL. - JOHN TOOLEY- MAJOR ROBERTS

Some earlier 1500 names of leading Norwich citizens and tradesmen are NICHOLAS KENT CHARLES & ROBERT SUCKLING - JOHN HAYWARD - THOMAS BARKER - ROBERT GIBSON

In relation to the housing of the poor 1570s these landlords are mentioned along with the number of houses they owned and so on : the mayor JOHN ALDRICH - JOHN SUTHERTON ROBERT SUCKLING - EDWARD PYE - JOHN BLENNERHASSET- JOHN SOTHERTON THOMAS PARKER - AUGUSTINE STEWARD - EDWARD WARDEN - JOHN REDE CHRISTOPHER AUSTEN - JOHN GOSE - JOHN LYNGE- THOMAS RICHMAN - JOHN HEMMING.

Women owners mentioned : Mrs FELIX - Mrs NORGATE - Mrs CROKE

Other name interests in Norwich 1500 - 1600s which I have entries for are Buckenham - Townsend - Norris - Hendry - Hamond - Hooper - Sedges - Drury - Warden - Davy- Platford - Green - Turner - Power - Metcalf- Wiseman - Parsons

If anyone wants more detail on any of these names I am happy to supply so please contact me off line. regards Diana

from the now infamous Surfcoast www.visitsurfcoast.com