NORFOLK-L Archives

Archiver > NORFOLK > 2002-01 > 1010665038

From: "Su Baccino" <>
Subject: Re: The Nork House
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:17:18 -0000

Hello Pauline
Could it be that 'nork' is an abbreviation of 'Norfolk'? If so, perhaps The
Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, 1771-1880'?

I've looked at the following two sites but there's no mention of The Nork.

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/Norwich/Norwich.html

http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/council/departments/nro/nroyar14.htm
The Workhouse.
Yarmouth Corporation had a Workhouse on the site of St Mary's Hospital from
the sixteenth century. A much larger Workhouse to the north of the town was
built in 1839. Although originally intended to house the healthy poor,
workhouses inevitably had to look after the sick poor of all kinds, both the
physically and mentally ill, and also the elderly and infirm, unmarried
expectant mothers etc. Not surprisingly the infirmary wards of many
workhouses developed into Hospitals: the Workhouse in Yarmouth became the
Northgate Hospital.

Records: Poor Law Guardians minutes 1837-1930 (Y/WE 69-161).
Workhouse Master's report books and journals 1869-1904 (Y/WE 298, 299).
Register of Workhouse inmates c.1938-1940 (Y/WE 300).

Su
London