NORFOLK-L Archives

Archiver > NORFOLK > 2002-01 > 1011010894

From: Roger Bacon <>
Subject: RE: Introduction!
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:21:34 +0000

Jackie,

You mentioned HACON as one of your interests.

In tracing my BACONs back to Aldborough (15 miles or so north of Norwich) I
came across a Richard HACON listed in 19th century directories (White's
etc.) as surgeon and I had coffee with the person now living in the house he
occupied on the village green.

Confusion then arose. At the Norfolk Records Office a listing of the
'Memorials in St. Mary the Virgin, Aldborough' compiled by the Women's
Institute during the last century gave two tombstones:

No. 76: In Memory of RICHARD BACON many years Surgeon of this Parish Who
Died 14th September 1861 Aged 67 Years.

No. 77: Sacred to the Memory of the Beloved Children of Mr BACON Surgeon of
this Parish and Frances Anne his Wife. WALTER RICHARD BACON Who Died 21st
May 1850 aged 8(?) Years. EDWARD LUBBOCK BACON Who Died 24th May 1850 Aged
5 Years. (pious inscription illegible)

Having tried to read those inscriptions myself, I can understand how faced
with the problems of ivy, lichen, crumbling stone, etc. the good ladies of
the WI plumped for BACON since it is a reasonably common name in those
parts. (Just how common is illustrated by the fact that it includes my
ancestors!).

However, while scanning the actual parish records on LDS FHC microfilm
before Christmas, I found the specific entry (which was very clear) "
Richard HACON buried September 18th 1861 aged 67".

I hope this helps. Let me know off-list if there is anything else I can do
for you. Regards, Roger.

This thread: