NORFOLK-L Archives

Archiver > NORFOLK > 2002-01 > 1011016794

From: "Nut head" <>
Subject: Re: Where to buy 1891 census records (and Directories)
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 08:59:54 -0500

Hi Geoff:

Thank you very much. I will put these in my email address file.

Diane in Ontario, Canada
no snow but cold

From: "Geoff Lowe" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 09:07:17 -0000

As a few people have expressed interest and may have missed earlier
postings to the list on this subject; the following will supply
copies of the 1891 census:

NB These are copies of the original census, not a transcription and
not indexed.

The Public Record Office - sell the census by Registration District
http://www.pro.gov.uk/

Download, a private company - their website is useful in breaking down
the census by county and then registration district.
www.1891census.co.uk

S&N Genealogy - a private company who have the laudable aim to scan
original census returns and put them on DVD and CD-rom. To date they
have completed London 1891 and are now working on earlier London
Census returns. They are shortly to release Lancashire and Yorkshire
Census for 1891.
www.genealogy.demon.co.uk

Directories can be a useful tool and are widely available and
affordable. The following companies provide a good service:

Archive Books - have the widest selection and cover the whole country
http://www.archivecdbooks.com/main.htm

Archive Britain CDs - sell CD-roms mostly covering Hampshire but also
have Some Navy Lists available and a Marine List.
http://www.archivebritain.com/cdroms.htm

Stepping Stones - produce directories of Northern Counties
http://www.stepping-stones.co.uk/bodypages/home.html

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire